Author Topic: Developer Blog 23 - Sounds -  (Read 25843 times)

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 23 - Sounds -
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:15 pm »
According to the internet (yeah I know xD) it took around 15 seconds to reload a musket. I have never fired or reloaded one myself, so I wouldn't know. Maybe I should buy one to try it :D
Penn and shitz

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:59 pm »
Anyone have any sources in regards to the range of reload times?

It really depends on which rifle/musket you use and how far the enemy is away..

From our WoR historical references (various quotes out of after action reports and field manuals):

1) Union soldier was expected to get off 4 shots per minute to pass training.
2) A trained soldier in the Civil War using paper cartridges and Minie balls could fire 5 shots per minute. (IN training)
3) In combat: About 2 shots per minute at 200 yards range

Small example:
At Little Round Top, the 20th Maine had about 60 rounds in their boxes. The fight last for about 1 1/2 hours (with smaller breaks). After at least 60 minutes, the first soldiers fired all their balls... so, an average civil war soldier fired about 1-2 shots per minute :)   

Offline MadManYo

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MadManYo
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:06 am »
Just being historical the average musket reload time was about 15 seconds where as a rifle could take from 25 seconds to 60 seconds to reload
I was talking about the Baker Rifle...

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:29 am »
Anyone have any sources in regards to the range of reload times?

It really depends on which rifle/musket you use and how far the enemy is away..

From our WoR historical references (various quotes out of after action reports and field manuals):

1) Union soldier was expected to get off 4 shots per minute to pass training.
2) A trained soldier in the Civil War using paper cartridges and Minie balls could fire 5 shots per minute. (IN training)
3) In combat: About 2 shots per minute at 200 yards range

Small example:
At Little Round Top, the 20th Maine had about 60 rounds in their boxes. The fight last for about 1 1/2 hours (with smaller breaks). After at least 60 minutes, the first soldiers fired all their balls... so, an average civil war soldier fired about 1-2 shots per minute :)

Cheers man. Looks like under battle conditions it was much more difficult to keep focused on reloading.

EDIT: If we go by 4 shots a minute then its 15 seconds and if we go by 5 then its 12 seconds. So maybe 13 - 14 seconds could be the in-between.

In game we are often interrupted in our reloads when we need to move quickly and the reload section your up to will be resume-able similar to NW.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:27:22 am by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2014, 06:16:38 am »
this is pretty nice, honestly the reload animation there along with the sounds is the first thing to make me look forward to BCOF.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:37 am »
Small example:
I don't know if they were shooting ALL the time.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2014, 07:24:57 pm »
Will there be misfires and the ability to move at the end of your reload like NW

Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »
Ah yes, misfired. I had a thread about this, but I never got a dev response.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 10:42:54 pm »
We are not sure. Maybe. We did not decide that yet.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »
Good enough for me :D
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline tico13

• Donator
  • NA Server Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3rd_Col_Tico
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 03:40:00 pm »
Mmm. Misfires sound awesome as hell from a historical aspect.

They sound like a "fucking damn, what the shit, FSE?!" when it happens in game.

Maybe make it a mode, package a bunch of stuff into "Realism mode" checkbox into a server admin panel so that enabling "Realism" turns on  misfires and whatever other wacky things you guys find interesting in there such as only short range communications, etc? I can see some events being then labeled as "realism" or not. May be best for all consumers.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »
Made a thread for that also :P

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:42 pm »
Have you all thought about there could be a class called messenger/scout who has a very fast horse (similiar to how a hussars horse is faster then all in NW) and he is tasked with giving messages from leader to another, imagine team chat but in notes. A colonel can choose to use a note, he then selects it, types his message (which is automatically turned to some fancy cursive or some other font he could choose from when he designs his character) then gives it to the rider who then delivers this where it needs to be.

Example:

Colonel Greybeard, the right flank is taking a pounding, can you readjust to help us out over here before we are taken out

Kindest Regards,
Colonel Redbeard
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 04:59:52 am »
It would be cool to see that in action if regiments have riders who relay messages :D

It would be awesome if you could write those messages and hand them to riders which could also be intercepted.  Normal text chat would negate the use of that however as would team speak. Perhaps it could be used to show the enemy's position(s) instead along with messages.

-----------------------------------
This is non-essential idea but I thought I'd list it (Have posted it in the suggestions sub board):

Perhaps a special rider/messenger class could have the ability to automatically pick up details about enemy positions/cannon positions etc when in the proximity of officers and take that information to other officers on the field who in turn would automatically share that information to their regiment's subordinates after a few seconds.

An icon would pop up on the rider's screen suggesting he has received new information (would fade within a few seconds). When he rides within the vicinity of another officer another icon appears suggesting he has passed on some information (would fade within a few seconds)..

Perhaps Officers of a certain rank could also have the ability to write messages (only 1 message at a time to avoid meaningless troll spam) which would then be automatically logged and attached to any 'ride/adjutant' nearby. When the rider delivers it to an officer it automatically gets stored in the officer's message log which would be a pop up window separate from chat etc where a history of logs could be stored and viewed at any time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:28:12 am by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Nation

• Corporal
  • dont be silly wrap your willy!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2014, 04:28:55 pm »
The reload animation looks really good! great job! My question is: will reloading whilst crouching give a reloadtime penalty?