Author Topic: Death in Reenactment  (Read 11136 times)

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
  • Side: Union
Death in Reenactment
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:19 pm »
How do you know if you have died in reenactment? Does death have a degree of difference between each era (as in being wounded or dead)? How do you "come back to life"? Also internet points for the best story about dieing in reenacting.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Death in Reenactment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:01 pm »
oh no...not this question again *runs away and hides under bridge waiting for duuring* :'(

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:25:47 am »
Ok i got a story.

I was marching with Stonewall Jackson, he romped us so hard as he sucked that lemon like a bitch. Mmmmm my lord finest man I've seen in the South. Now here we was rolling around some shithole called Chancellorsville, now you look here, we was rolling but pretty damn quiet. We snuck up on the dutch-nazi corp so damn quiet that they was half naked when we did the charge. We charged and bitch slapped Joe Hooker big time and I fell on my bayonet and died.

GG NO RE BEST STORY M8 TOP DAT SHIT. 

(in reality, you die by exhaustion, running out of ammo, or pre-planned. Or some asshole shoot you pointblank at 1inch, you should die, you're not a superman dammit.)

;)

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:27 am »
I die when someone hits me and I think 'yeah that would probably do me in'

In multi-group battles I die when I'm on the verge of wanting to legit hurt someone.
Once some guy jammed a spear into me about an inch from my junk so I decided I'd better go down instead of finding and nutting them.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »

In multi-group battles I die when I'm on the verge of wanting to legit hurt someone.
Once some guy jammed a spear into me about an inch from my junk so I decided I'd better go down instead of finding and nutting them.
Hahahahaha XD
The first modder for NW.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »
My most glorious death was the one in which an Imperial Guard Grenadier pushed me over and clubbed me to death with his musket.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:43:16 pm »

Hahahahaha XD

I have no idea if they just weren't aiming well or whether they thought/were told it was the best place to go for.

All I know is there are a lot of nerves down there.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 02:31:34 am »
In my group we used a marked cartridge system. If you load a cartridge wrapped in red paper, you die next.

Or, in case of those who don't shoot (ie drummers, flag bearer, officers, etc), we just take hits when nobody else does.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:14 am »
One of my favorite deaths was at this past Battle of the Bulge reenactment. A kamerad and I took out an American halftrack and used it for cover. I decided to run out from cover in a "glorious uhleet super smersh suicide charge" and saw four GI reenactors aiming at me and shooting me... I fumbled my body around like I got shot by all of them, released my gun from my hand as I flew bacwards and smashed hard on my back into a snowy ditch and laid there in blizzard conditions getting covered by new snow falling from the heavens like crazy for a solid 15 minutes. Then was dragged by two other kameraden back to a "recycle" point and then the scenario reset and us Germans had to move out.

Here's a pic from the event. I'm in the dead middle in the back with the camo smock wearing an a-frame. I'm standing by the ditch I fell into.
[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:30:46 am »
Is all that camo realistic for WW2 scenarios? I always thought that camo was very limited.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »
Camo limited fur das Heer.   Camo unlimited fur das SS.  In fact, Plently of SS camo that when heer guys attempt to repair their camo item, they use pieces of SS camo.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 06:42:09 am »
The Heer (Army) did use camo, quite a bit, but nowhere near the amount used by the SS. As Deo said though, a lot of depot repairs and field repairs were used with tattered or "found" pieces of SS camo patterns. I saw this really funny looking photo my friend had in a book about German camo of WWII, and the guy had a Sumpftarn Heer coverall set with patches of SS Planentarn over his forearm area and his knees. Lots of camo field repairs were used with other types of camo, and done by the Luftwaffe, Heer, and SS. Some SS smock were also made in parts and would have a torso of Palmentarn with maybe Planentarn arms or skirt, just for an example.

Offline da

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:59:41 am »
Each group/situation has their own rules. Whilst at practice (so it's just 'out', rather than 'dead') we take two hits (or more for newbies/if you're wearing armour).
Alternatively, I've been in a battle where it was "If you're hit once, stumble back and don't move. If you're hit again whilst you're like this, you're dead". It was fun - kept people in the battle a lot longer.

Now for my particular group, in terms of 'degree of death', when we're doing local shows we have 'wounded'. Like, the crowd knows we're not "dead" so it then becomes much more believable if we just sort of .. limp and act as though the force of the blow has done its damage.
Get a lot of "ooo" and "ahhh"'s buy that style - my personal favourite.

To signify the end of the event/resurrect the fallen, I've heard a lot of groups use the phrase "Dead Arise".

But again, every group/situation seems to have its own rules.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 07:40:56 am »
I seldom reenact anymore but whenever I get the chance I almost never die. Not because ima farb or a wussy but because in most Civil War reenactments the wounded are really under portrayed.

Most men survived their wounds or didn't die instantly. Amid a firefight on most blackpowder Battlefields you had more wounded soldiers on the ground than you had dead ones. It allows you to still be able to have fun acting and your able to continue to watch whats going on. Often I will have a scenario where I am helped of the battlefield or attended to.

It contributes to the event as a whole far more than if I flopped over and had my cap on my face.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 08:34:43 pm »
I once deserted a battle, threw down my rifle and took my knapsack off like it was on fire and ran like hell.