Poll

Would you be interested in playing in a public siege server?

Yes, I would be active on it.
11 (27.5%)
Yes, but I would rarely play
13 (32.5%)
Don't care either way.
6 (15%)
No, I don't want to play public siege
10 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: May 14, 2018, 08:02:55 pm

Author Topic: NA location Public Siege server? voting for NA people preferrably.  (Read 2522 times)

Offline tired

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [BBG] tired
  • Side: Neutral
I've been approached to see if I can host a siege server, and I'm really only interested in doing it if it can be worth my time.

But, without shaming other attempts at reviving siege, and other big siege servers in the past, Can you help me by posting your opinion on what worked and what didn't?

What type of extra features or map types or rotation would you like to see if you are one of the people that are interested?

I'm already thinking, as a public server, as I would probably name it BBG_PublicSiege_NA, I would make it more community oriented than focused on my BBG group.

I would probably already start of by allowing regiment heads/COs of major NA regiments to be admins, as I want people to be motivated to play and bring others.

My concerns are, are people even interested, at least here on the forums, in playing this game mode still? As I don't see, obviously, any other siege servers up and running NA.

What about recruiting? Allow it or now allow it? I would be open to just allowing it, within reason of course, but I know the sponsor said he hated regiments recruiting on public servers. He said he thinks it ruined servers and old official servers. But I would like opinions.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:09:20 pm by tired »

Offline Unitater

• Second Lieutenant
  • Weeb Potato.
    • View Profile
    • 41st NY Vol FSE Page
  • Nick: 41stNY Col | discord.gg/41stny
  • Side: Union
Re: NA location Public Siege server? voting for NA people preferrably.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:07 pm »
i think NA siege is dead
Click Signature to Join the 41st NY Discord

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
  • bring back historical names
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik | 18e
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:19 pm »
It's only dead because 63e died on NW tbh

Offline |Rafael|

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rafael
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »
Yeah, last time siege was actually alive on NW was when 63e/Getty's servers were up, died very quickly though, Tbh since BBG owns pretty much the only populated NA server for casual play, maybe you could advertise it there and try and get feedback. Personally I wont play, unless you had some kind of ability to recruit there so i might hop in there every now and then and attemp to convert them into the Irish inquisition but that's about it.

Offline Kuni Garu

• First Lieutenant
  • 51st_Cpt_Kuni/ 17th_Invte_1stPfc_[K]uni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »
It's only dead because 63e died on NW tbh
yep but we can bring it back would help NA grow?
wheres the love?

Offline Krastinov

• First Lieutenant
  • hi
    • View Profile
  • Nick: OatmealCan'tGroupfightSTINOV
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 09:50:49 pm »
Do it before the summer sale so we can farm those sweet-sweet noobs and herd them into our regiments
The Myth, The Legend

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 10:16:15 pm »
Can you help me by posting your opinion on what worked and what didn't?

63e did a fairly good job of maintaining their siege server. A large part of their success in keeping it active was forcing members to play 20-30 minutes on siege after their normal training or event. Not allowing other regiments to recruit there worked in the server's favor, too. Nothing against it personally, but successful recruiting takes players away from the pub server scene and places them in the regiment clique. The 63e had a decent map selection as well, not the best, not the worst. Every map needed to be fun to play on whether there were 10 players on the server or 200. There were a couple maps that were abysmal, but they weren't selected too often. They also attempted to make admin selection a privilege, but anyone who had a bit of potential could become one. Admins had to put in a certain amount of time on the server per week or be removed, and applicants who could admin during odd times were prioritized. There was also a fairly strict review process where senior admins had to go through logs and review the merits of the other admins bans/kicks/etc. Where the 63e server failed was where it was a bit exclusive. The list of banned regiments was pretty extensive for a community of only a few thousand players at most. Some players got around the ban by playing on siege without regimental tags, or by changing their name/appearance, but most people who were banned opted to play on other servers like Minisiege.

What type of extra features or map types or rotation would you like to see if you are one of the people that are interested?

Unless you can offer NeoGK levels of "extra features", I wouldn't worry about that too much. As far as map rotation goes, there should be a fairly natural progression. You don't want to play the same map 4 times in an hour and a half. Focus on maps that are fun to play on whether there are 8 people on the server or 200. And make decent spawns please.

I'm already thinking, as a public server, as I would probably name it BBG_PublicSiege_NA, I would make it more community oriented than focused on my BBG group.

Name it whatever the fuck you want, nobody cares about that crap (see: suieiissiieieisiieeiei duel). Your concern for the server is going to be spreading word of mouth and generating a good reputation and high levels of activity in the long term.

I would probably already start of by allowing regiment heads/COs of major NA regiments to be admins, as I want people to be motivated to play and bring others.

You want admins who are going to be invested in the success of the server and have the time to perform admin duties. Whether regiment heads, who have a whole list of other responsibilities, would be the best option or not, I can't say. I know I'd be interested in being an admin, if you do end up bringing a siege server back.

My concerns are, are people even interested, at least here on the forums, in playing this game mode still? As I don't see, obviously, any other siege servers up and running NA.

You have no idea how many NA's are currently stuck playing Minisiege and want another 63e_NA_Siege type server. The hard part is just getting the word out to everyone.

What about recruiting? Allow it or now allow it? I would be open to just allowing it, within reason of course, but I know the sponsor said he hated regiments recruiting on public servers. He said he thinks it ruined servers and old official servers. But I would like opinions.

Recruiting does ruin public servers. Do what you want, though.

That's my two cents on it. I was just one of many 63e siege admins back when the server was up. Good luck to you
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

|Viper|

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:20 pm »
Good idea but it would just die after 2-3 weeks or so. Best of luck to you though.

Offline tired

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 11:01:44 pm »
Do it before the summer sale so we can farm those sweet-sweet noobs and herd them into our regiments

I allow public recruiting on all Public BBG servers already (excluding Duel, because I wasn't even sure I was going to keep it around, but it looks like it's being used, and I lose the benefit of a small population of pubs), even if you don't like bots or commander battle, which are pretty populated every night still, you could recruit on those servers if you really wanted. Even if your post was in jest

Offline Bauer16

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bauer
A public siege server is in the works with a planned launch date of May 7.

Maps and scripts are currently being prepared.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
I like the idea and I might play on it from time to time, but I dont think the NA pub scene is big enough to support a siege server.

Offline tired

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
A public siege server is in the works with a planned launch date of May 7.

Maps and scripts are currently being prepared.

Well then, maybe I"ll just let you guys do your thing, and I"ll hold off on what I'm planning and strategy to get it populated. Takes the load off of my back

Offline Jetch

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Recruiting does ruin public servers. Do what you want, though.

Most populated servers currently are BBG_Bot_Survival and Mini_Siege, both of which allow recruiting. On our end we join servers not only for playing on it but to recruit too and that's a good 10+ around the day at a time; us being in a regiment doesn't make us not go on public servers.

63e recruited on their servers all the time, doesn't matter who is doing it, it's still recruiting if it's just one. One of the reasons, among others, Getty had success on NA_Siege was allowing other regiments to come in and recruit. That got us on to populate it with our regiment. Then take for account others and you got a populated server.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:46:25 pm by Jetch »

Offline Moraine

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 20th Maine Artillery Company Command Officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lady Moraine
  • Side: Confederacy
its a 50/50 shot

Norwegian13

In general, it would be nice to see more public play overall in NW, but it's rather difficult to make this work since we don't have much of a pub playerbase, and it's certainly not growing.