Author Topic: Post your Reenacment Kit / Military equipment  (Read 82579 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Post your Reenacment Kit / Military equipment
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:54 pm »
I finally attached my sabretache to my belt.
[close]

Now just waiting for my sabrehook and my musketoonhook to get here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:50:48 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2014, 10:01:21 pm »
Your vein....calm down there.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »
Yeah not sure what went down there. I'm right-handed (slowly becoming left-handed as well) anyway.

Think it might have to do with the fact I was keeping it up a bit. The light cavalry model isn't all that practical when on foot, especially if you don't have a sabrehook.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »
blue and brown  ... smh
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »
I got some red pants too.

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 12, 2014, 10:56:54 pm »
Early War 4th Virginia Company A impression that im about done with. Just need to get a CS canteen and a civilian belt. Its a little different than most CW impressions you see since everybody does mid war impressions.  But my favorite part about early war CS impressions is you get all the Commutation System benefits. Striped Trousers fuck yeah!

Well now them pants and buckle. If you are trying to do early war the communation system wasnt around until 1862 and thus entire units would have what ever was at the armory. Also the CSA buckle never existed you should have VA state seal buckle.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »
Oooooooooooh.

Also put that shit in spoilers millander.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:47 am »
Dem trouser tho, back in the 1860's those get you laid....ironically so does 1970's as well. 

Birth Control Trouser of 2014. 

But i put in as Milly would say:  "Swag bro, total swagfication" 

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:38 am »
Well now them pants and buckle. If you are trying to do early war the communation system wasnt around until 1862 and thus entire units would have what ever was at the armory. Also the CSA buckle never existed you should have VA state seal buckle.

My unit portrays the 4thVA in March of 1862. That would be classified as early war and the commutation system was in full swing. I didnt go into as much detail in the description of this post as compared to my one of facebook that allot of folk here saw but im fully aware of my impressions flaws. Next on my list is a Civilian roller belt and a wooden canteen. Besides the use of Federal accouterments my main problem is my 61 Springfield. The 4th virginia as well as many units north and south were using 1842 smoothbores. I however do not have the money to drop on a new rifle for an impression.

Saying CSA buckles is quite the statement. I have held an original square CSA buckle thats in the collection of the museum I work at. They are far over portrayed in reenacting but they certiantly did exhist. http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com/confederate-belt-buckles
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:06 am »
Yes CSA buckle do exist, you're right Milly. However, i think it was the CS oval buckle that did not exist.  I mean i am not sure but I do have heard several articles regarding about it. But for that specific buckle that Millander is wearing, definately exist.

However...........that's a Army of Tenn style Buckle Milly, you're portraying the rebs in east. Virginia state buckle is your best bet. I do have one and can sell it to you for a looooooooooooow price. Its a square buckle with the sic semper tyrannis lady. "Virginia" and "Sic Semper Tyrannis" can be seen. I have to find it first and i can take pic of it for you. If thats something you're interested in.

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2014, 05:53:53 am »

My unit portrays the 4thVA in March of 1862. That would be classified as early war and the commutation system was in full swing. I didnt go into as much detail in the description of this post as compared to my one of facebook that allot of folk here saw but im fully aware of my impressions flaws. Next on my list is a Civilian roller belt and a wooden canteen. Besides the use of Federal accouterments my main problem is my 61 Springfield. The 4th virginia as well as many units north and south were using 1842 smoothbores. I however do not have the money to drop on a new rifle for an impression.

Saying CSA buckles is quite the statement. I have held an original square CSA buckle thats in the collection of the museum I work at. They are far over portrayed in reenacting but they certiantly did exhist. http://www.armyoftennesseerelics.com/confederate-belt-buckles
Let me phrase what I said differently. CSA buckle that one in particular did not exist in the ANV and therfore not in the Stonewall Brigade. If I am sounding like I am a dick im not trying to be its just those pants man. You honestly would be better of with wearing your sky blues. If you wore that at any event out by me you would honestly be told to change them. Those look more like something a zouave would wear which there were none of them. Once again if I am sounding like a dick just know I am not trying to be one. I know guys who have been portraying the 4th for around 20 years and they have uniforms for almost every year (late 62-63 blend together). I would gladly give you a link to the website or put up one of there pics for you to look at. And the CS oval did exist it was the CSA oval that did not.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2014, 06:16:57 am »
Yes CSA buckle do exist, you're right Milly. However, i think it was the CS oval buckle that did not exist.  I mean i am not sure but I do have heard several articles regarding about it. But for that specific buckle that Millander is wearing, definately exist.

However...........that's a Army of Tenn style Buckle Milly, you're portraying the rebs in east. Virginia state buckle is your best bet. I do have one and can sell it to you for a looooooooooooow price. Its a square buckle with the sic semper tyrannis lady. "Virginia" and "Sic Semper Tyrannis" can be seen. I have to find it first and i can take pic of it for you. If thats something you're interested in.

Get me a picture man I would probably be down.

Yeah thats what I thought you had meant. Im am already fully aware about the inaccuracies of the buckle. It was something I bought from a friend right when I jumped into CS stuff and didnt know much about it.

I would have to disagree about the trousers. All research I have done about pre richmond depot system uniforms is that they followed the commutation system of receiving clothing from home. They are striped Civilian trousers which judging by all my research is completely accurate. Using it in any CS impression starting when the Richmond Depot started issuing clothing would be innacurate which sounds like what your buddies portray. If you havent read it already I would recommend reading Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline HWMHall

• Captain
  • Military History Guru
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 87th_Foot_Fus_Hall
« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2014, 06:23:45 am »
I have found evidence which says that the rectangular CSA was of Atlanta Depot pattern and one was found at Antietam and resides in the museum there. Also it states that it was a very popular design out in west in Tenn.  as well as some being found at cold harbor in trenches which were occupied by Georgians. CS ovals were issued but were solid stamped brass not lead filled as most repops. are. I find that instead of making fun of peoples impressions (especially if they are new) Myself and Sharpe want to help people get a more correct kit and not face the negative waves that we faced when we first started out. I do understand that a '42 is a lot of money and that should not be your biggest concern at this moment. Since you already have your '61 keep that for now as many reenactors just use the '61 or the P53 even if their unit was issued 1816 conversions. Also wearing sky blues is exceptable as you portray a man from the Stonewall brigade which by July of '62 had come across so much discarded equip. from union soldiers that Jackson had men who were dressed entirely in union garb arrested as POWs. You could also save up money for a Pack as many southerners were found of them. Keep up the good work on your impressions and always try to improve some place in your kit even if it is minor, as that is what every reenactor should do. ( I am in the process of getting rid of my farby '63 springfield and snagging up a '42 instead.and I know Sharpe just replaced his brogans with some good quality ones. ) Lastly not too bad for a Yank trying to start a kit for a reb.

By the way Millander Love the Hat.

HWMHall
1st Sgt
33rd Va Co. E
7th Bn ANV

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:57 am »
Thanks for the compliments man. Just a poor simple Yank in the confusing world of CS impressions. However I think I so far look better than many of those pirate cowboys you see at events.

It is interesting what you said about the buckle at Antietam. When I was getting resources to back up the use of CSA buckles I found mention of Virginia style buckles being found at Kennesaw Mountain. Funny that you also mention the event where the stonewall brigade captured a bunch of Federal Equipment around the time of 2nd Manassas. I was reading the book "4 years in the stonewall Brigade" by John Cassler of Co.A of the 33rdVA. He went into great detail about how merry of an event it was. And thanks its a Dirty Billy beehive :P

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2014, 06:41:43 am »
Interesting info, i am interested to find out more about buckles.  My main buckle is Georgia Frame Buckle, but i do own a few such as Virginia and Louisana state buckle. I honestly cannot wait for 1861 cycle to come back and bring on the militia impression galore.

When i switched to confederate from Yankee, the first thing i noticed and developed a secret interest was the buckles. I am in love with all the state buckles out there and hoping to hoard them some day haha.