Poll

If linebattles were decided almost exclusively by shooting (for whatever reason eg. more accurate firearms), how do you feel your overall experience/enjoyment of these events would change:

I would enjoy linebattles a lot more
5 (5.2%)
I would enjoy linebattles even more
13 (13.4%)
I would enjoy linebattles just the same
14 (14.4%)
I would not enjoy linebattles as much
18 (18.6%)
I would not enjoy linebattles nearly as much
47 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 14, 2014, 05:46:52 am

Author Topic: If melee was merely an "afterthought" in NW LB's  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Nano

• Alpha Tester
  • Community Anti-Cheerleader. Official Victim.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nano
  • Side: Union
Re: If melee was merely an "afterthought" in NW LB's
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:21:19 am »
IF there was no melee, there would be no point in playing this game
Quote from: Aldemar
the Nr24 has 91 trolls and Hekko is the troll mother

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:23:12 am »
IF shooting actually required real training and time to build skill it would make the shooting side of the game much more enjoyable and worthwhile. In NW a veteran player and a new player have exactly the same odds of hitting their target with basic training. I would like to see something where wind, elevation, and range all come into play. So that a veteran may be able to hit a target that a new player could not due to a variety of variations in the shooting mechanics.

Offline Sir Gordon of Ramsay

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 02:53:01 am »
poll results are giving me the impression that over time the community has decided NW is a melee game with shooting as a secondary rather than a shooting game with melee as a secondary. I don't know how to feel about that. I love the challenge of firing, and while I don't mind melee, I get more enjoyment out of a well placed volley than a melee mosh pit. But I have the distinct feeling  I am either a. in the minority or b. in a rapidly falling small majority at best.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 02:57:58 am »
Ramsay, I don't think the majority view has ever been that shooting is more enjoyable. This is a game with Mount & Blade melee, while the shooting is entirely luck based.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Sir Gordon of Ramsay

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:36:27 am »
then remove all ammo for the guns and make it Napoleanic Melee

the point is a certain kind of player decided collectively that because THEY prefer melee, then that will be the primary focus, and it drove away people who liked the shooting aspect.

in other words, a clique has pretty much come to dominate. and over time they equate driving away people who liked a different aspect with "majority."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:38:15 am by Sir Gordon of Ramsay »

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 06:30:17 am »
then remove all ammo for the guns and make it Napoleanic Melee

the point is a certain kind of player decided collectively that because THEY prefer melee, then that will be the primary focus, and it drove away people who liked the shooting aspect.

in other words, a clique has pretty much come to dominate. and over time they equate driving away people who liked a different aspect with "majority."

Why is it such a bad thing that the majority love melee in NW, especially considering its awesome learning curve and the simple fact that it, unlike shooting, actually requires skill and can thus be practiced and improved.

As others have said, if BCOF can make shooting require skill, that would be awesome.

But we're talking about NW, where shooting is almost purely luck/random in stark contrast to the skillful melee gameplay.
Why am I still here

Offline Scottish

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • 73rd Official Website
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:20 pm »
I used to loathe melee until i got a better pc. now i enjoy the carnage of close combat.
Colonel of the 73rd Regiment of Foot Perthshire (EU)

Offline Cazasar

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
I think its the combination of both that makes the game so enjoyable. for me its melee for sure, but shooting is still an important thing for this game
CAUTION: INTERACTIVE SCREENSHOTS NOT MEANT FOR MEDIUM EYES
Cazasar interacting with the boys
[close]
me and cazasar interacting
[close]

Offline KillerShark

• First Lieutenant
  • THE KillerShark
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »
If only you could actually get better at shooting. People still don't even know if bullet drop actually even effects the accuracy of your shot... Right now I think melee is the only good part of the game. I would love to be able to train and become good at shooting, but it's pretty much just luck.
Former: 29th CSjt, 12th Cpl, Nr37 Kpl, 21eme SoD, 18th LtCol, 1stMN/64th SgtMaj, 23rdPA SgtMaj, 45e CplFo, 78th ESO, 29th Capt, 57th Kgm, LG Fus, 71st Cpl, 34e SoD, 2ndQF LCpl, LG Uffz, Nr4 Gmnr, 98e SoD, 75e Fus, 18e FusV, 47th Grd, and 21st Pte.

Self Proclaimed best movement key player NA

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 05:39:29 pm »
I think its the combination of both that makes the game so enjoyable. for me its melee for sure, but shooting is still an important thing for this game
Dis necro

If only you could actually get better at shooting. People still don't even know if bullet drop actually even effects the accuracy of your shot... Right now I think melee is the only good part of the game. I would love to be able to train and become good at shooting, but it's pretty much just luck.
^^
<3

Offline Becker-

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • "The Gang joins the Army"
  • Nick: Bring back the 54th.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 04:15:43 am »
poll results are giving me the impression that over time the community has decided NW is a melee game with shooting as a secondary rather than a shooting game with melee as a secondary. I don't know how to feel about that. I love the challenge of firing, and while I don't mind melee, I get more enjoyment out of a well placed volley than a melee mosh pit. But I have the distinct feeling  I am either a. in the minority or b. in a rapidly falling small majority at best.

^ Never learned to up-block...

#didntgetabid

Offline Liam

• Major General
  • Liam innit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Liam
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 07:34:30 am »
What is Melee?

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »
I would never have played a single linebattle. Waste of time. Thus making it pointless to play this game.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 05:54:16 pm »
I would never have played a single linebattle. Waste of time. Thus making it pointless to play this game.
Playing NW just for LBs is like playing Call of Duty just for DM. There's so much more to do..
<3

Offline Zango

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zango
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 08:45:25 pm »
Melee was great and all, but I'm sick of people hating Brawl just for being different. They're both good games in their own ways and we should just accept that people's tastes may tip one way or the other.