Author Topic: Best Dressed Warrior  (Read 81583 times)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Best Dressed Warrior
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46:19 am »
That depends on the side. Neither army was very organised in regards to uniforms, and I suppose the Parliamentarians were the worse of the two. I have to say I prefer their practicality to the foppishness of the Royalists, though.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:18 am »
That depends on the side. Neither army was very organised in regards to uniforms, and I suppose the Parliamentarians were the worse of the two. I have to say I prefer their practicality to the foppishness of the Royalists, though.

Lol.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 12:52:08 am »
Actually, I quite like the foppishness of the Royalist uniforms. Though practicality has its place.

Also, +1.  :P
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 01:00:34 am »
I read that Tatars loved them, because you could so easily pull the winged hussar off his horse, by his wings.

I think the wings were fastened to the horse and not the rider. They were an extension of the saddle if I'm not mistaken.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 01:02:00 am »
I read that Tatars loved them, because you could so easily pull the winged hussar off his horse, by his wings.

I think the wings were fastened to the horse and not the rider. They were an extension of the saddle if I'm not mistaken.
I heard/seen both.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Henk

• Private
    • View Profile
    • http://www.33rd.eu/home
  • Nick: 33rd Sjt Henk
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:36 am »
hoplites :)
"We are not a smart, social regiment. We do not seek to be ever in the headlines. We do not pretend to have some special expertise. Indeed perhaps what makes us special is that we do not seek to be any of those things.
“We are ordinary, straightforward folk who stick together. We have in the Duke's some of the best soldiers in the world. I would back the Duke's soldier - the good, honest, straight forward, hard working Yorkshireman - against any soldiers in the world.”

Regards,
Sjt Henk

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
  • Side: Union
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
Haha yeah, I was thinking that as well. Saying a Winged Hussar can't afford his wings is like saying that a knight can't afford a horse or a sword.
Which actually happened, being a knight didn't make you rich automatically.  ;)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 03:40:31 pm »
Haha yeah, I was thinking that as well. Saying a Winged Hussar can't afford his wings is like saying that a knight can't afford a horse or a sword.
Which actually happened, being a knight didn't make you rich automatically.  ;)

Usually it did actually, if you were a knight you were usually granted a fief to rule over so that was a large source of income, plus knights were usually chosen from already rich families. A knight with no lands or serfs was called a Hedge knight and they were usually poorer. A hedge knight could be a peasant or a man at arms who performed exceptionally well in battle so they were given an honorary knighthood but nothing else.

Offline Rowaan

• Second Lieutenant
  • A volcano of unreliable information
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rowaan
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 12:05:50 am »
The SS officer from WW2. Note I do not condone Nazi beliefs, their anti-Semitic policies (or anti- anything else for that matter) or the SS's involvement with the persecution of many different races and beliefs, just as a disclaimer so nothing bad comes of it. But as this thread is devoted to good looking uniforms, the history of a uniform isn't going to deter me from liking it.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:30 am »
God, I hate those trousers that make it look like you've got a pair of giant hernias on your thighs. What chucklehead thought those were stylish?

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 12:21:40 am »
look like a bunch of lutzow freikoprps  posers
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Rowaan

• Second Lieutenant
  • A volcano of unreliable information
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rowaan
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 12:42:00 am »
Okay, yeah I agree with you about the trousers (they do look a bit retarded), but I was more drawn to the torso and above (because the totenkopf and the black and red can make any German outfit look cool).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:44:15 am by Rowaan »

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:13 am »
God, I hate those trousers that make it look like you've got a pair of giant hernias on your thighs. What chucklehead thought those were stylish?

Jodhpurs?

Apparently came from a lot of top brass in the early 20th century coming from the cavalry, and so the style was adopted far and wide. Even by Directors who wanted to look authoritative on set, it would seem.

That's just a quick bit of wikipedia'ing done just now though.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 01:09:29 am »
There's a ton of fancy uniforms I can't list all I like but here are some.

Swedish Uniforms :)

1700 uniform Caroleanian soldier
[close]
(Vikings not even sure what they actually whore there still pretty cool though :P)
[close]

Other countries
roman guy
[close]
Winged Hussar (Polish/Lithueanian)
[close]
WW2 German Uniforms
[close]

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:30 am »
(Vikings not even sure what they actually whore there still pretty cool though :P)
[close]

Although whores do figure in the sagas (the Old Norse word being hóra, from the verb hóra meaning to adulter.) I doubt they dressed like that. Wouldn't be good for business.