Author Topic: | NWBC | Season 5 | Finals  (Read 49265 times)

Offline Mr_Etherton

• First Lieutenant
  • Hello There
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: | NWBC | Season 5 | Match-week 1
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2022, 06:40:58 pm »
Didnt even realise someone took on the tournament and continued it! Seems to have had a great few seasons since the first two I ran. Gotta say congrats and great to see it living on  8)

Offline Scottish Unicorn

• Most Beloved In All Of NW
  • Board Moderator
  • Meowing in chat
    • View Profile
    • My Nudes
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2022, 11:53:54 pm »
Match week: 2
Participants: IVe Corps Vs Team 9
Date/Time: 7/03/2022
Referee #1: needed
Referee #2: needed
Referee #3: needed

Offline 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2022, 02:11:06 pm »
Didnt even realise someone took on the tournament and continued it! Seems to have had a great few seasons since the first two I ran. Gotta say congrats and great to see it living on  8)
Aye it's not been without drama but frankly what doesn't?! Thanks for the good wishes mate, it's a unique and interesting format to continue.

First post has been updated to reflect the group changes, now all teams across both groups have a free match-week! :D

Offline Scottish Unicorn

• Board Moderator
  • Meowing in chat
    • View Profile
    • My Nudes
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2022, 02:45:39 pm »
Match week: 1
Participants: Iron Crusaders Vs GardeKorps
Date/Time: 9/03/2022 7pm GMT
I can take this one :)

Offline Glenn

• Lieutenant General
  • 84th [NA] / 12th [EU]
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Glenn
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2022, 04:42:54 pm »
Match week: 1
Participants: Iron Crusaders Vs GardeKorps
Date/Time: 9/03/2022 7pm GMT
I can take this one :)

I prefer someone else because I hate Aidan Unicorn!
click here to join the 84th

Offline Kubus

• Major
  • I'm probably most annoying kid on this forum
    • View Profile
    • GO CRAZY
  • Nick: 45thN_Kgm_JanMoody55FanBoy
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2022, 08:18:04 pm »
Match week: 2
Participants: IVe Corps Vs Team 9
Date/Time: 7/03/2022

^
Ban kubitch of nw warband because is childish moron unhappy antisocial person, have at 2023 meeting with lawyer about him.  kubus mental disease

Offline Mr_Etherton

• First Lieutenant
  • Hello There
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2022, 09:15:09 pm »
Aye it's not been without drama but frankly what doesn't?! Thanks for the good wishes mate, it's a unique and interesting format to continue.

First post has been updated to reflect the group changes, now all teams across both groups have a free match-week! :D

Wouldn't be NW without drama haha!

Offline Kubus

• Major
  • I'm probably most annoying kid on this forum
    • View Profile
    • GO CRAZY
  • Nick: 45thN_Kgm_JanMoody55FanBoy
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2022, 09:38:36 pm »

Team 9 (92nd, 33rd, 4e) 4 - 2 IVe Corps d'Armée français

Screenshots

[close]

Ban kubitch of nw warband because is childish moron unhappy antisocial person, have at 2023 meeting with lawyer about him.  kubus mental disease

Offline Scottish Unicorn

• Board Moderator
  • Meowing in chat
    • View Profile
    • My Nudes
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2022, 10:07:59 pm »

Team 9 (92nd, 33rd, 4e) 4 - 2 IVe Corps d'Armée français

Screenshots

[close]

GG WP to IVE!

Thanks again to Kubus, it's hard reffing on your own but thank you for your effort 8)

Giorno

« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2022, 11:04:00 pm »
Love a bit of Kubus slander but good on you for reffing a big comp event solo, I wouldn't have the balls to do it myself.

Respect 💖

Offline Barro112

• Major General
  • "Newgen, Skeyer and Trash"
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Chsn_Barro
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2022, 11:08:58 pm »
Love a bit of Kubus slander but good on you for reffing a big comp event solo, I wouldn't have the balls to do it myself.

Respect 💖

Offline Dusbled

• Major
  • Squadron Corporal Major of 45thN
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Saphyro
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2022, 03:11:14 am »

Respect 💖

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2022, 09:32:16 am »
Spoiler

Respect 💖
[close]
Thank you Kubus for accepting to take care of our match. You did your best and that's what matters in the end regardless of the few hiccups.

Can't stress enough how messages like this are important to balance out some stuff that was written last night. I don't blame anybody, in the heat of the match it's hard to refrain yourself when you are facing questionable decisions. But anyone who experienced referring an NW match (in such a complex format especially) can relate how hard it is for one individual to keep an eye on everything that's happening so as a reference for next time, the slightest touch of empathy shown during and/or straight after the match usually goes a long way. Remember that some banter on TS within your private sphere does not equal +20 messages that - although taken alone wouldn't carry much weight - can be interpreted as rather offensive/aggressive when added up.

About the match itself, I won't lie, I didn't necessarily have a good time but it was still as competitive as it gets. The first round could have set the tone for a really fast & aggro playstyle on both sides but the following ones showed exactly the contrary. From my perspective, the whole encounter can be summed up by both cavalry regiments having the potential to be decisive in the late round, so whoever managed to keep most of it alive was ensured to have a large advantage in the final fight. This led to very delayed rounds, almost no enjoyable (brawly, evenly chaotic) melees on either side and pushed the 'run away, shoot & delay tactics until all charge was called' to an extent that was not particularly entertaining from the infantry perspective. The all-charge itself was no fun-saviour either as we ended up getting circled by cavalry on pretty much every occasion, which for anyone who played competitive cavalry for a time, was the equivalent of giving 25+ dismounted heavies short lances and asking the hussars 'go kill them but please don't take too much time'.

Obviously, as the last part of my sentence hints it, I am not blaming the cavalry on either side for refusing any form of fight till one regiment had taken the upper hand (number wise), neither do I think the rule about staying mounted in all-charge should be re-written. It makes perfect sense and there wouldn't be much point in having cavalry in the first place if you force them to drop all of their advantages as soon as the round gets tense. I am only trying to demonstrate that in matches where both coalitions are on a somewhat even play-ground, the tactics that must be used in order to guarantee the win are simply not enjoyable, at least from the perspective of the infantry.

Now I would still argue the better team won last night. We (IVe) could have at least guaranteed a draw if it wasn't for the huge mental breakdown/tactical mistake/lack of communication (delete as appropriate) from our leadership in the opening round of the second half. From that point on, I believe we lost ourselves the match as the Team 9 coalition was simply way too experienced/skilled to let such an opportunity run away from them. Good game, good luck for next and hopefully we'll get you next time.

PS: @Erik As a golden rule for next time, I would argue it's part of the leaders' responsibilities to ensure they are playing with the correct numbers at all times and that the ref(s) should only have to be held accountable for reminding the regiments of the balance that must be observed, not doing the maths for them in the first place. I think you will agree with it's neither fair nor right to expect a solo ref to be checking the numbers of each regiment at the beginning of each round when he has a lot of other things to take care of.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:06:29 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2022, 09:45:14 am »
For the love of god Tardet I had to scroll forever on this phone...
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2022, 09:47:10 am »
For the love of god Tardet I had to scroll forever on this phone...

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.