Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231523 times)

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #885 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:29 pm »
We tend to have as much water as we need and easy access to it. As for food, progressives will (for the most part) issue the upper ends of ration estimates or the theoretical ration, while mainstream units can and do forgo food accuracy in return for energy and a full stomach.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #886 on: June 09, 2014, 12:16:01 am »
There's little 're-enactment of period-food' in the Napoleonic re-enactment. Everything is cooked with real open-pit fires though.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 09, 2014, 12:21:31 am »
The most authentic food tends to be ACW because it's well documented, easy to get hold of, and there's a bloody lot of it too, less so for the Soviets in my experience because we're either eating spam and drinking plundered schnapps or starving on watery thin kaska

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #888 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:01 am »
Well, in case someone wants to look into period accurate food (18th - 19th century), just take a look at the stuff from Jason Townsend and son. They got some really nice stuff, and their recipies are great.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 09, 2014, 12:58:32 am »
we used to issue the correct rations etc, but we , most groups down here, now just make big communal meals for units, stews, dumpling and other randoms, tastes good, looks good, and authentic for what would have been eaten by Units in New South Wales and Campaigns from 1788-late 19th century

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #890 on: June 09, 2014, 03:04:44 am »
Well, in case someone wants to look into period accurate food (18th - 19th century), just take a look at the stuff from Jason Townsend and son. They got some really nice stuff, and their recipies are great.

I totally recommend his sutler as well, nice sleepwear and glasses are reasonably priced too.   I mean really reasonable. 

The ration situation is totally up to me. My unit dont do issue and stuff. its "bring yo own food" attitude being carried out. I keep it simple with peanuts and potatoes/carrots/sausage also homemade hardtack.  I dont really need to eat breakfast or lunch. a hot meal fill me just right every night and snackin during the day.

As for my WW2 thats where the most authentic shit happen. My unit issue rations, tin can tuna or chicken, hard rye bread wrapped and labelled, jerky wrapped and labelled as well. I carry the role of "Wurst guy" of the unit. Pun intended. I live close to a german deli, capable to bring bunch of Jaegerwurst for everyone.   

Unit commander talking about trying to bake a rye bread with sawdust as flour shortage happened in late war, should be interesting.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #891 on: June 09, 2014, 05:19:21 am »
I recommend Ohio for that. They do a tactical in a factory. The photos are sweet as hell.  its even in the winter

I'm part of that FB group as well. I hear that there's no restrictions on RKKA units to keep the numbers high, but Germans are invite only. Doing a good partisan or worker militia impression wouldn't be too bad. Have plenty of flexibility without looking like garbage. But I heard the event still needs some clearance or something. Legal issues or whatnot. Can't remember. Still, by the looks of the pictures it's like a 1/10 sized Stalingrad Grain Factory. I like it a lot. I'd love to fight there.

On the matter of rations, I've had period rations for WWI and WWII (including the iron ration, which was only eaten if given the order). For ACW it was either cooked up and eaten right there or other stuff like peanuts, dried fruit, jerky, etc. in cotton pouches.

Captain America and Munk, you should check out Dorian's ebay page. He handmakes a bunch of repro Soviet stuff himself and they're honestly great. Not long ago he made some repro leather mosin pouches that looked like the real deal. Not sure if he has enough to put up on ebay yet. http://www.ebay.com/sch/redarmymilitaria41/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 09, 2014, 06:00:35 am »
someday i shall meet the great Dorian. His custom made armor for 193rd for our bayonet fencing competition   saved my chest yesterday.  (more details to come).

But the stuff he makes is really good.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 09, 2014, 06:03:30 am »
193rd. The only russian unit that make you do crazy russian stunt.   

All you need is track suit and beer in plastic bottle.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 09, 2014, 11:11:11 am »
117th beats everything.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 09, 2014, 12:53:21 pm »
Quick Update from Zac :)

Even though Im currently uniformless (only leather gear and my hats) , and temporarily disabled, injury, packed my bags and leather...a reenactor never sleeps...like never... (and all of that from my bed, easy access reenactment gear) :D

Spoiler
[close]

Still Waiting for my WW2 stuffs to arrive, Size Small lol... , Custom Made Marine Tunic :3 , and getting everything new again, a new start, even expanding my tent stuffs, with a small chair and boxes set, also getting gf into reenacting  8) ,Got 3 WW2 Tacticals coming up starting in mid August , and a 1789 Colonial Encampment training weekend in late July .But anyway, that is all for now , Not long till Waterloo now  ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:59:44 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 09, 2014, 12:58:56 pm »
also getting gf into reenacting

GIRRRRRRLLLLFFFFFFFRRRRRIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENDDDD?

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 09, 2014, 01:00:40 pm »
Perhaps.....  ;) , she might be coming with me to Waterloo also :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:02:13 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 09, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »
Great to hear, man  ;D

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:58 pm »
So ye :) , Waterloo waterloo waterloo.....need to organise accommodation me does, or under the stars *please dont rain 'touch wood' *

http://www.waterloo200.org/countdown/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:09:38 pm by zac »