Author Topic: Cantiniere  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Cantiniere
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:49:43 am »
Spoiler
[close]
It took forever and at times I thought it couldn't be done, but here it is! With some texture adjustments, it could be turned into a grenadier or chassuers a pied cantiniere.

Perhaps someone will take notice and decide to put them in for the next patch  ;) Currently, they would only be for the French faction.

The participation of vivandieres and cantinieres in non-French armies remains one of the most under-researched topics in military history. The participation of American women on both sides of the American Civil War as vivandieres is now fairly well known, even if this chapter of history did fade from the public view for a century or more after that war... Less well known, but still very real, women definitely served as vivandieres and cantinieres in the armies of Belgium and many of the German states, and the equivalent of a vivandiere or cantiniere in the Netherlands army was the marketenster. There is also fragmentary evidence that the armies of Spain, Italy, Switzerland, and numerous South American countries also had women serving in these capacities. Likewise, there is evidence that the Russian army had markitantki who apparently fulfilled similar roles.
http://www.cantinieres.com/others.php
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:14:53 pm by Mailman653 »

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Cantiniere [WiP]
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:54:16 pm »
I've decided on working on a artillery cantiniere de ligne, given the sparse details on the subject mater, it's not easy trying to get some pictures but thankfully they (cantinieres) never had an "official" uniform, in most cases they would wear something similar to what the men in the unit they were in would wear or as in a drawing I saw of a cantiniere during the Siege of Paris, they basically looked like a regular soldier minus the musket.

Spoiler
[close]
Guard artillery cantiniere.

Spoiler
[close]
The image on the right is the style in which the character will be based on. This outfit is from circa 1850-70's.

But I really like the hat in this one:
Spoiler
[close]
That's a post Franco-Prussian war outfit. I'm a bit torn between the two although given that the mod will now encompass a general 1870-80's or even 90's time frame, I might try to emulate this one rather than the one above.

Spoiler
[close]
Tonnelet, in game.

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:40:07 am »
After a lot of trial and error, I finally got a dress working properly with pants. Fyi, the texture is just a place holder.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:41:44 am by Mailman653 »

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:57:03 pm »
The original idea for the cantiniere outfit was to have a coat on top of a dress which would have pants underneath. My first few attempts gave me some terrible results, the clipping that the dress and the coat caused was bad, plus at the time I was still trying to find the right dress in the original MB module to use as base model, I had similar problems with the pants. Eventually I gave up on the idea and decided on just getting a dress to work with pants.

Now that I have the pants and the dress working (theres still some clipping, but its bearable) I've decided to return to my original idea of having a coat on top of the dress. I'm constantly tweaking the coat and the dress since it's not easy to get them to match up just right but I've made a lot of progress and I hope to find that "sweet" spot between the two.

Spoiler
[close]
Coat, wip

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Cantiniere
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:24 am »
It's finally done!  ;D See first post for pic.

Stay tuned for my next project, this one promises to be playable unlike the cantiniere.  8)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:00:48 am »
 You have no idea how much I like this. The cantinieres were really awesome, in my opinion. Their "deployment" was pretty smart, bringing soldiers their wives, and often with them their children, to raise moral. Too bad the French troops were simply poorly trained, and it eventually didn't matter much.

Offline Mailman653

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »
You have no idea how much I like this. The cantinieres were really awesome, in my opinion. Their "deployment" was pretty smart, bringing soldiers their wives, and often with them their children, to raise moral. Too bad the French troops were simply poorly trained, and it eventually didn't matter much.

Thanks! Heres a screen shot of the flexibility of the model to become something else with some small adjustments. The hat is new, the model is the same, I colored the uniform with the chasseur uniform colors (partially) after I took the screen shot.
Spoiler
[close]
Cantinière des Chasseurs à Pied test.

Spoiler
[close]
Cantinière des Chasseurs à Pied de la ligne
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:33:08 pm by Mailman653 »