Author Topic: Musket accuracy!  (Read 14629 times)

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
Musket accuracy!
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:26:52 pm »
I like how there's a lot of people on this forum who thinks muskets during the NWs were inaccurate as fu*k.

I brought a video to prove my point.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ-UazWAOSk[/youtube]

This guy hits the target 3/4 times at 100 yards (91.44 meters) with an original smoothbore musket.

The reason I created this thread is because I want people to be aware of the actual historically accuracy of these weapons.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
Re: Musket accuracy!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:12 pm »
I like how there's a lot of people on this forum who thinks muskets during the NWs were inaccurate as fu*k.

I brought a video to prove my point.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ-UazWAOSk[/youtube]

This guy hits the target 3/4 times at 100 yards (91.44 meters) with an original smoothbore musket.

The reason I created this thread is because I want people to be aware of the actual historically accuracy of these weapons.
Your point. But, muskets were really inaccurate, maybe that's why armies got close with each other on the battlefield,

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
What do you mean by 'close'? This weapon is really inaccurate compared to modern weaponry but in general they were fine.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:28 pm »
Muskets were innaccurate as fuck, but not as much as some people claim them to be.

I can't view that video on my phone, so I'll watch it when I get home. But it is probably a skilled shooter. Them being innaccurate wasn't the only thing that made you miss, psychological shit had a huge impact. That guy/girl in the video needs to do it while under fire from enemies with the same weapons, in a line, with people dying and limbs flying off to the left and right of him/her.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:00 pm »
What do you mean by 'close'?
They couldnt fire effective more then for 100 meters, they had good velocity, but it was lost fast, that's why the effective distance was low in that times, deal with it.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:23 pm »
What do you mean by 'close'?
They couldnt fire effective more then for 100 meters, they had good velocity, but it was lost fast, that's why the effective distance was low in that times, deal with it.
100 meters is way further than you can fire in NW. Hopefully they will make the accuracy more historically accurate with WoR and BCoF.

Muskets were innaccurate as fuck, but not as much as some people claim them to be.

I can't view that video on my phone, so I'll watch it when I get home. But it is probably a skilled shooter.
He claims he's a bad shot in the video.

Them being innaccurate wasn't the only thing that made you miss, psychological shit had a huge impact. That guy/girl in the video needs to do it while under fire from enemies with the same weapons, in a line, with people dying and limbs flying off to the left and right of him/her.
I really don't like that argument. It's not very hard to aim at a huge line and if your life is in danger you generally perform better on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:53:08 pm by Wismar »

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »
Bear in mind, that 100 meters is maximal with perfect weather conditions. The actual effective distance in my opinion isnt more then 50-60m.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
Bear in mind, that 100 meters is maximal with perfect weather conditions. The actual effective distance in my opinion isnt more then 50-60m.
Still way further than NW distance ;)

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »
Them being innaccurate wasn't the only thing that made you miss, psychological shit had a huge impact. That guy/girl in the video needs to do it while under fire from enemies with the same weapons, in a line, with people dying and limbs flying off to the left and right of him/her.
I really don't like that argument. It's not very hard to aim at a huge line and if your life is in danger you generally perform better on the battlefield.
Not really, well, standing in line infront of fire isnt the best. And i dont think anyone can perform better facing that threat.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »
I think we can agree that accuracy in NW should have been way better.

AeroNinja

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »
I think we can agree that accuracy in NW should have been way better.
+ 1000 000 000

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:04:12 pm »
Oh please, if you want the accuracy of NW muskets to be better, head over to the suggestions forum.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »
Don't forget the firing conditions people. Mechanically muskets weren't that inaccurate as some believe but remember how thick the smoke is and multiply that with hundreds of other guns going off on a crowded battlefield on a day with still or slow wind conditions and chances are you might miss even a little.

Remember when firing a musket too aiming and reload drills and general training of the regular line on the battlefield are very much different to the provided video of a hobbyist shooting off his own.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:07:42 pm by SeanBeansShako »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 03:06:10 pm »
Oh please, if you want the accuracy of NW muskets to be better, head over to the suggestions forum.
Why should I? They are done with the game and are working on BCoF. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:44 pm »
Don't forget the firing conditions people. Mechanically muskets weren't that inaccurate as some believe but remember how thick the smoke is and multiply that with hundreds of other guns going off on a crowded battlefield on a day with still or slow wind conditions and chances are you might miss even a little.
The musket itself wouldn't get less accurate, lol. It would be the individual holding it. People seem to forget that.