Author Topic: The Grand Commander **CAUTION: Viewers may be subject to reading.**  (Read 8487 times)

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
  • Side: Union
You are looking over a Civil War battlefield from a bird's eye point of view.  The game starts and your forces are arrayed in front of you. You click on your artillery unit card and click on a nearby hillock with the intention of setting them up on the high ground, and a blue way-point icon appears. Satisfied, you then split your infantry forces evenly into two groups and send them to either side of your guns, in line with each other. (Sound familiar yet?) The enemy army is suddenly seen cresting a large ridge to your northeast. You quickly order your guns to start shelling the ridge, and mobilize your two corps, moving the second down the middle while sending the first around the the right.

Seeing that you had broken up your forces, your enemy moves the vast majority of infantry onto your right flank to overwhelm your 1st corp. You focus your artillery fire on the advancing enemy infantry and swing your 2nd corp on top of a small hill to poise them to flank the enemy, where unfortunately they are driven back by the enemy artillery. In a last ditch effort to save your chances of victory, you set up your 1st corp in their tracks and dish out devastating point blank volleys. You order your 2nd forward as well, and they bravely charge through a hail of shells. In the center of the map, all three infantry forces crash into hectic melee. Shots are fired from meters away, Confederate war cries fill the air; in the blinding smoke, bayonets and muskets are blurs as they hit back and forth, stabbing and swinging and chambering and
...wait, what?

Oddly enough you were so mesmerized by the battle, you forgot you weren't playing the North and South mod for Napoleon Total War; you are playing Battle Cry of Freedom in the newly introduced Grand Commander gamemode! How silly you are!

Yes, my latest fantasy for Battle Cry of Freedom is the addition of a completely revolutionary game mode called Grand Commander to be used in direct correlation with the BCoF network, battle, and regiment systems. Very much like in the Total War series, there is a singular, overlooking commander with full access to the whole battlefield. This commander has control of every unit on his team, and can move them to any position on the map, in any formation he wishes.

First of all, let me explain how the basis of this game mode (the regiments) would work.
**Disclaimer: I may very well be blinded by lust and not have any idea on how the future in-game systems will work. All here is speculation.**

In NW, we don't have a chance in hell to make a game mode like I will describe. What I'm describing is a fully functional commander interface where one person can select each registered regiment of real individuals, give them movement orders, group regiments together, have them make formations, and give general orders like firing permissions, crouching/laying down (if it's included), and withdrawing, to name a few. I say "registered regiments" because with the new Regiment system made by FSE, the identities of each singular regiment and members will be registered in the actual game. Perhaps this means we can make it possible, in this game mode, to have those identities be selectable units able to be ordered in-game.

Now to get to the specifics. Unlike in Total War, each unit will not be immediately required to execute whichever order is given, pretty much because they are AI, while in this game mode you will be ordering actual humans. Each regiment commander (these will be encoded and registered in the game as well) will be able to execute each order on their own time, but within reason of course. When each order is given, the regiment commander will receive an indication of said order in the form of a movement way-point or a text notification on his screen. The type of formation will also be indicated. When the order is received, the regiment commander can follow it immediately, wait for support, or in the execution, override it personally if unexpected or hostile actions make the given order impossible or impractical. The choice of this action is, of course, on the regiment commander's own judgement.

The "unit cards" of each registered regiment will work much like they do in Total War. They will be placed on some part of the Grand Commander's interface and will show a picture of the type of unit that regiment is, the number of men currently alive, and their current orders. The Grand Commander can select one of them, or multiple unit cards, and order them using methods not unlike Total War methods. When each regiment completes their orders (perhaps each regiment commander can press a button that confirms their completion of orders...?) an icon will pop up on their unit card, replacing their order icons. I think to minimize the amount of stuff going on and maximize performance, the Grand Commander will have to physically see any personal order overrides, as the icons on the unit cards will not change.

The rest of the game mode mechanics will work like the regular battle mode in BCoF. One team will do their best to eliminate the other, and when all on one team are dead, the next round begins. This system will, I think, do much more to immerse individuals and regiments as a whole into to game, as each commander will not have to worry about the overall tactics of the battle, but only the execution and effectiveness of his orders. And not only will the battles go more smoothly, as the coordination will be streamlined and centralized by the Grand Commander, but each battle will be a different experience, as each Grand Commander has his own tactic, traits, and way of playing the game.

In conclusion (finally ;)) I think this type of game mode will add so much to the quality and immersion of the game, especially in events. I know the game is still in very early development, and the developers do not know the extent or potential of capabilities their systems have. If this is at all possible, I would love some feedback, and some ideas from the rest of you wouldn't hurt. :D

Hope you enjoyed reading! I'll be thinking on this subject; I hope you guys will be as well. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:03:46 am by McEwanMaster »

Kielbasa!

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Commander **CAUTION: Viewers may be subject to reading.**
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:04 am »
don't worry McEwan im sure the devs will see it as you do one day ;)

Offline SonOfApollo

• Private
  • 1stCB best CB.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:14:47 am »
Oh that'd be awesome!!

Wouldn't it be hard to make a game mode like that, let alone run an event on it... But it does sound awesome!!!
Best of the worst and worst of the best.

"The only time I feel out of ease is when the old cancer of the 1stCB lock themselves into a room. Just their presence gives me SJW, Tumblr levels of PTSD." THOMANATOR 2016

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
Anyone wanna summarize it for those of us who are too lazy to read?

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
Well now, if you see this thread and want a summary, then you obviously didn't see the warning in the title! A little reading never hurt anyone, and if you want to get a clear idea of how my idea works, then you'll have to read the whole thing.  ;)

Kielbasa!

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »
Ok so I think I get your concept, a gamemode where someone is a "General" and they set way points for the other players like a general would do? Kind of like an NTW battle with real people

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:18 pm »
Kind of like an NTW battle with real people
Yes, that's pretty much how I described it. :D

Kielbasa!

Offline hidude123

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
Is an interesting idea would only work in events that are organised so i don't know how beneficial it will be for the devs to add it in but is an interesting idea. Maybe when the game is released a modder ( presuming the game will be moddable ) will be able to do something like this who knows.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:35 pm »
Going to the bathroom takes longer than reading that Jacob.
You can do it!
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »
Reading is effort xD

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
effort makes experience, experience gives you level ups and perks.
Your choice mate.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 06:57:29 pm »
But my bed is nice and warm :P

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »
Which is a great place to read from.
As supported by the fact that you are reading and posting on this forum here.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »
I have always wanted a game mode like this, but always been too lazy to suggest it. Thank you for taking your time :P

Offline PJ

• Colonel
  • Beneath the gold, the bitter steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: PJ
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:13 am »
Good idea!  ;D
A year of underdogs