Author Topic: Pootis' Guide to Tactics  (Read 2476 times)

Offline 63ePootis

• Private
  • Gott Mitt Uns!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 12Ier Pootis
  • Side: Confederacy
Pootis' Guide to Tactics
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »
So you want to lead your team to victory? Of course you do! But one thing's always holding you back.

Tactical Incompetence.

Of course, every leader can be guilty of this in one situation or another. For instance:

You're leading the line, and you see another regiment in distress. If you charge the enemy regiments attacking your fellow regiment, you'll kill more of them. Your guys have trained enough for melee, right?

Wrong.

This decision is based on an assumption, which are deadly on the battlefield, moreso than canister shot, round shot, howitzers, musketballs, or cavalry sabers.

The best decision is one that is surefire, and doesn't rely on one event.

For instance:

You're on the high ground, and there's a large enemy line in the distance. You decide to fire on them, because at least ONE of your guys can hit them, right?

Wrong, again. That's an assumption.

So what ARE some good decisions to make?

Well, i cant make a one-size-fits-all tactic for every situation, but what I CAN do, is give you a guideline for leading.

Here you go:

1: Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, make your strategy dependant on one event.

2: Always go for sure attacks, or, attacks that have a higher probability of success, like close-range shooting.

3: Always work cohesively with other regiments. They're your ticket to success.

4: Communicate with your fellow regiments: Use some form of medium to get messages across to them: Team chat, teamspeak whisper, steam, ANYTHING to get them to know what they should do to achieve victory.

5: Charging is never the first option, it relies on the assumption that your men will do well.

6: Make sure to accept input from those under your command: They may well have a good view of an opportunity..

7: Communicate with any other branches of your regiment: Cav detachment, arty detachment, skirmisher detachment, on a regular basis.

8: Keep your detachments nearest to you: They can easily turn the tide of battle when it's going downhill for you.

There it is, folks! Follow this eightfold path to victory, and your regiment will achieve love, fame, and most likely, many recruits!

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Pootis' Guide to Tactics
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:20 pm »
Riddlez is finding point 2 arguable:

With smaller lines known for good melee, yes.
If you have noticed that said regiment is full of recruits, charge, most recruits aren't good in melee.

Coming n close on a bigger line, not advised:
On this particular event: At least ONE of the guys will indeed hit you, probably more. With larger lines, shooting from close distances is what they are used to, because they can accept the casualties. coming in close with a smaller line: Killstreaks all around.

Better advised: When against bigger lines, and your line is smaller: Out manouvre them, take 1 shot, disposition, etc, etc.
Use your advantages to your advantage, and the other way around.

Against smaller lines: Then one could go in close, and take some shot, then charge.

Riddlez is delighted that there is a tactical discussion thread!
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Lunatic

• Sergeant
  • I wish I was a lumberjack..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:16:34 pm »
Lunatic's Guide to tactics

Put your 3 best melee units in melee.
You win

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57:48 pm »
Melee is a legitimate tactic that can destroy conscripted lines, train your guys and kick ass with it. For rifles, it's a matter of point-blanks although they may have long range weapons.

Offline tico13

• Donator
  • NA Server Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3rd_Col_Tico
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:37 am »

You're leading the line, and you see another regiment in distress. If you charge the enemy regiments attacking your fellow regiment, you'll kill more of them. Your guys have trained enough for melee, right?

Wrong.

5: Charging is never the first option, it relies on the assumption that your men will do well.

I don't understand...
[close]

Offline 63ePootis

• Private
  • Gott Mitt Uns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:34:48 am »
Melee is a legitimate tactic that can destroy conscripted lines, train your guys and kick ass with it. For rifles, it's a matter of point-blanks although they may have long range weapons.

Yeah, but it's very risky, because the entire maneuver is an all-or-nothing attack. If you go all-or-nothing for your prime attack, then your regiment has a higher chance to be killed off. It's ALWAYS best to do maneuvers that give your men a fair chance to survive. Something like a charge is best saved for a crucial, battle-turning moment, like taking a hill.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:14 am »
This is a guide for highly conservative gameplay, which although i agree with it, i do not think it is always viable.

If you do not take the chance to for an assumption to become reality you miss out on a lot of masterstrokes that can win battles. After all, there are several ways to make these assumptions become balanced in your favor.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:15:56 am by Archduke_Sven »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline The Unnamed Spartan

• Second Lieutenant
  • Facing tempests of dust I'll fight until the end.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 66th_Pte_Unnamed_Spartan
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
Pootis, I would like to congratulate you on this thread. These are tactics that most long-standing regiments use and you describe those tactics perfectly. There are many regiments, such as mine, however that enjoy charging into crossfires and stuff. Although winning is nice, there should be some place for heroism as well  :)
Now there is silence

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:35:35 pm »
If one really made a complete topic about tactics advisable in this game, the server would crash due to lack of memory...
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »
So you want to lead your team to victory? Of course you do! But one thing's always holding you back.

Tactical Incompetence.

Of course, every leader can be guilty of this in one situation or another. For instance:

Wrong.

This decision is based on an assumption, which are deadly on the battlefield, moreso than canister shot, round shot, howitzers, musketballs, or cavalry sabers.

The best decision is one that is surefire, and doesn't rely on one event.

For instance:

You're on the high ground, and there's a large enemy line in the distance. You decide to fire on them, because at least ONE of your guys can hit them, right?

Wrong, again. That's an assumption.

Every decision you ever make is based upon an assumption. You get out of bed in the morning in the assumption that it's better to do so than to stay in bed. You play NW in the first place on the assumption that you'll enjoy yourself.

Regardless of your strategy, when you play in an evenly matched battle then you can't afford to have multiple courses of action available - you don't have the manpower for it. Close-ranged shooting is far from a "perfect strategy", as you have to get to that range first, opening your line to the fire of any enemy that didn't follow your guide and move closer together.

Not to piss on your guide, you've obviously put some time into it, but the only elements I personally agree with are the teamwork aspects - i.e. working with other regiments, communicating with other regiment commanders. Beyond that, good training seems to negate every other point you've made.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »

Wrong.

I don't understand...
[close]

Same here...charges especially on the flank are like the best way to devastate a unit, especially when you have pros in your line.

Not trying to brag but you put the 12th or the 9y in a charge against a regular NA reg and it's goodnight usually.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:56:15 pm by MackCW »

Offline 63ePootis

• Private
  • Gott Mitt Uns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:39:15 am »
Due to popular rapport by my regiment and demands by the leader of such, i am locking this thread. I apologize.