Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525322 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 25, 2017, 01:56:18 pm »
Its economy is in the shit, its demographics are terrible, but Duuring seriously believes Russia is poised to annex parts of Eastern Europe. Lol.

I never said that. I said that relying on nuclear weapons to avoid conflict is retarded.

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #451 on: March 25, 2017, 03:32:13 pm »
Its economy is in the shit, its demographics are terrible, but Duuring seriously believes Russia is poised to annex parts of Eastern Europe. Lol.

I never said that. I said that relying on nuclear weapons to avoid conflict is retarded.
I agree with you commie shill but what other choice do we have? its been the only reason another major global conflict hasn't broken out since WW2

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »

Google "Cold War" :-|

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »

Eh? You literally said he might invade Belarus

No, but he might invade Belarus.

Also it's not retarded, we avoided WWIII between NATO and the Warsaw Pact because of them.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #454 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:03 pm »
Nuclear weapons have become one of the shittiest coercive weapons superpowers have these days, it's in almost all grand-strategic studies and a widely accepted fact in NATO militaries. Doesn't mean we should get rid of them, though. Gunboat diplopmacy still works better, especially carriers.

And granted, the Russian military isn't the superpower Putin wants the world to believe it is, it is rotten with corruption and really it's not that well equipped (save some exception here and there), but the bulk of it is out-of-date cold war stuff not up for major warfighting. This is changing, but it's very, very slowly doing so.

Russia also doesn't have the manpower or the simple fucking money to pay for a major invasion. Europe still has the largest army in the world and yes, they WILL all contribute when the Bear comes crashing the party.

Still, one shouldn't discount the fact that even with old equipment and corruption, EUrope hasn't been preparing for major warfighting for almost 30 years - a fact people easily discount as irrelevant, but almost no air force in europe, for example has trained on a relatively large scale on air-to-air combat against a developed nation since the cold war.

Since the war on terror began, there have been very, very little training missions going larger than a battalion for most european country (until Bison Drawkso, which was a major logistical disaster)

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
Oh yeah, he might very well invade Belarus, which isn't part of NATO or the EU or even trying to. Not to annex it, but considering it's militairy dependecy on Russia, another Crimean scenario is entirely possible. Then again, there is not much to gain or lose if Belarus tries to leave the Russian orbit. So yeah, he might, but probably not.

If nukes were the only reason war was avoided in the Cold War, why did we even bother to spend zillion of dollars in conventional forces? Any attack would have surely resulted in nuclear war, right?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2017, 01:32:11 am »
Because the USSR wasn't the only opponent of the USA between 1945 and 1991, hence Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, 1st Gulf War...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »
Sure, the USA. But let me recall that the Netherlands had 1.900 Tanks, of which exactly zero saw action. Surely an attack on the Netherlands would have resulted in all other nations throwing nukes around?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 27, 2017, 02:14:01 pm »
Surely an attack on the Netherlands would have resulted in all other nations throwing nukes around?

Who cares anyway. It's only the fucking Dutch.

Offline 12apist

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »
war = boom :(

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #461 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:56 pm »
why did we even bother to spend zillion of dollars in conventional forces? Any attack would have surely resulted in nuclear war, right?

For the largest part of the cold war, the US actually neglected their army and navy (save for the subs). At one points 75% of the entire defense budget was going to Strategic Bomber Command. The army was in a pretty shit state.
UNtil they realised nuclear holocaust wasn't THAT likely a scenario and they started building their forces again.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »
That can't possibly be true. The US military spent long periods of the Cold War in active warzones like Vietnam, Korea, the Gulf, etc. Highly doubt military planners would neglect the army/navy with all that going on. Source?

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #463 on: March 27, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »
That can't possibly be true. The US military spent long periods of the Cold War in active warzones like Vietnam, Korea, the Gulf, etc. Highly doubt military planners would neglect the army/navy with all that going on. Source?
Vietnam was great
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:52 pm »
When Americans starts seeing Russia as a potential ally.. What a meme.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:03:58 pm by Furrnox »