Author Topic: Unrealistic Cavalry  (Read 11330 times)

Offline Shadow

• Former Moderator
  • Decorated Soldier, Validated Commander, GHTG
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Shadow
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Unrealistic Cavalry
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 12:24:21 am »
Much teach us your ways, Pepper. Do you has suggestion? ;) ;D
FSE Head Moderator, Feb 2018 - Apr 2022
FSE Community Moderator, Oct 2015 - Feb 2018

FSE Discord Moderator, Dec 2018 - Present

Former Leutnant 19te Prussian Infantry || Feel free to contact me on Steam here

Join the FSE Discord here!

Offline Cpt.Griffin

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 02:43:57 am »
The finer points of exploiting opportunities, timing, and tactics when fighting as Cavalry is a tough lesson to learn, because the majority of regiments fight as Infantry. Fighting as Infantry is quite easy by comparison of mastering the art of having to ride and fight simultaneously, exploit openings and know when and where to charge. This is why I believe that even though fighting and playing as Cavalry is more enjoyable when it works, most people defer not to because they generally don't have the patience to learn it.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 06:24:23 am »
^ In a nutshell

The Cycle of NW Cavalry

1) People are too lazy to learn anti-cav (which requires just a little time and effort). 2) They get tired of getting their asses handed to them on a weekly basis by those who have put time into getting cav down. 3) They just cry "nerf pls", limit to 10 cav or less, ban lances, slay for "ramboing" 2 feet away from the other cav while circling, and ignore blatant entire-line FOL's against cav or outright allow it. 4) "huh thats weird, why do cav regs not want to participate in our events".  5) Repeat

Meanwhile anyone vaguely competent with a bayonet knows they can easily outreach and outdamage cav (aside from lances which are easy to block)

And if we are going full realism (in a game where 1 person can kill 10 others by spinning like a top or stab someone's horse out from under them at full gallop without getting crushed by it) I guess inf should have their wrists broken when they block a cav sabre at a gallop, slashes should be 1 hit kills (mounted or dismounted with any force/momentum), and a lance travelling at high speed should be virtually unblockable.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:26:16 am by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Miller786

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 03:01:46 pm »
like if backstabbing on a horse that among other laughable things reaches 50km/h in 3 seconds, does 360s turns in a second while standing still, does 90 degrees turns at max speed, can stop instantly stop while riding at full speed was hard, haha.
Im not saying cav is op, it can be easily taken down with bayos, just saying its ridiculous and it doesnt take a genius to stick a sabre in someone s neck while they re turned in the other direction riding a ferrari
*braces for mindless hate wave*

Offline Rhen

• Colonel
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 08:10:38 pm »
like if backstabbing on a horse that among other laughable things reaches 50km/h in 3 seconds, does 360s turns in a second while standing still, does 90 degrees turns at max speed, can stop instantly stop while riding at full speed was hard, haha.
Im not saying cav is op, it can be easily taken down with bayos, just saying its ridiculous and it doesnt take a genius to stick a sabre in someone s neck while they re turned in the other direction riding a ferrari

You can't insta-turn at full speed.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 10:25:11 pm »

If I had a nickel every time a reg said "cav is easy" then took on a good cav reg and got utterly trashed, I could buy a real Ferrari.
Why am I still here

Offline Peppers

• Colonel
  • Father of North American Cavalry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pepper
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 11:28:42 pm »
^ In a nutshell

The Cycle of NW Cavalry

1) People are too lazy to learn anti-cav (which requires just a little time and effort). 2) They get tired of getting their asses handed to them on a weekly basis by those who have put time into getting cav down. 3) They just cry "nerf pls", limit to 10 cav or less, ban lances, slay for "ramboing" 2 feet away from the other cav while circling, and ignore blatant entire-line FOL's against cav or outright allow it. 4) "huh thats weird, why do cav regs not want to participate in our events".  5) Repeat

Meanwhile anyone vaguely competent with a bayonet knows they can easily outreach and outdamage cav (aside from lances which are easy to block)

And if we are going full realism (in a game where 1 person can kill 10 others by spinning like a top or stab someone's horse out from under them at full gallop without getting crushed by it) I guess inf should have their wrists broken when they block a cav sabre at a gallop, slashes should be 1 hit kills (mounted or dismounted with any force/momentum), and a lance travelling at high speed should be virtually unblockable.

Offline Cooper

• Donator
  • Panzer on a horse.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cooper/Cuprum
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 12:35:56 pm »
One time, there were an former infantry officer from the 6te in which i was a member before as well. So, he has been my officer.
I had my cav regiment running for quite some time now and he was part in an own cav regiment for about 3 weeks.
He contacted me and said that cav is pretty cool and thought that he now is pretty good with cav and also his regiment is pretty good against other cav regs. While our chat was going on he invited me for a duel on his server. He really had some confidence back then, but the story weren't funny if the duel were fair or something. By now he was a bit fustrated and stopped our little fight. He said that he is really surprised loosing so much, but for me, he also sounded like he learned something out of it.
Long story, short conclusion: Cav is easy to learn, but hard to master... and you really have to master it in some fields if you want to rek infantry.
Seriously; to all you funny infs here. You can't come to a conclusion about cav by playing it once in a lb, neither can you with other classes.

Back to topic: Almost every class here is unrealistic, but from my knowledge and experience pretty good balanced. Also the devs most likely won't change anything, so why even talking about it? ;)
Retired Clanleader, Cavalry, Student

Offline Glopaxi

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Gefr_Glopaxi
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »

Cav's been nerfed in Napoleonic Wars. The speed of light horses was a lot more realistic (and faster) in Mount & Musket.

reaches 50km/h in 3 seconds

Spoiler
[close]

does 360s turns in a second while standing still

Spoiler

[close]
does 90 degrees turns at max speed

Spoiler
[close]

can stop instantly stop while riding at full speed was hard, haha.
Spoiler
[close]

yes men, I too think it would be hilarious to see NW horses get more realistic. And we all know you're the best at cav, Cooper. That's why Germany won this years cav tourney.

Offline Rastignac

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »
Excellent job with vids, Glopaxi, wanted to do it myself but had no determination to search YT for good examples. It seems like people who talk the loudest about this subject hardly ever see a horse outside the movies/video games. This thread is pretty much one, big misconception.

Offline Miller786

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 11:30:25 pm »

Cav's been nerfed in Napoleonic Wars. The speed of light horses was a lot more realistic (and faster) in Mount & Musket.

reaches 50km/h in 3 seconds

Spoiler
[close]

does 360s turns in a second while standing still

Spoiler

[close]
does 90 degrees turns at max speed

Spoiler
[close]

can stop instantly stop while riding at full speed was hard, haha.
Spoiler
[close]

yes men, I too think it would be hilarious to see NW horses get more realistic. And we all know you're the best at cav, Cooper. That's why Germany won this years cav tourney.
yes because every nation in the napoleonic wars equipped thousands and thousands of half assed cavalrymen with perfectly trained expansive horses to send to the battlefield and get sliced to pieces by sabres, you probably never seen an horse in real life nor know what you're talking about, it takes tons of training and the right horses to do the things showed in the videos, its not like you jump on your horse, turn the engine on and start 360ing.
I mean, you gotta be a special kind of stupid to write that reply, its basically the same concept as if you asked me how fast can a napoleonic wars infantryman run and i sent you a link to bolt's world record run.
Excellent job with vids, Glopaxi, wanted to do it myself but had no determination to search YT for good examples. It seems like people who talk the loudest about this subject hardly ever see a horse outside the movies/video games. This thread is pretty much one, big misconception.

Oh and by the way, those are not 50km/h in 3 seconds and that is not an instant full stop.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:38:41 pm by Miller786 »

Offline Rastignac

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 11:53:53 pm »
yes because every nation in the napoleonic wars equipped thousands and thousands of half assed cavalrymen with perfectly trained expansive horses to send to the battlefield and get sliced to pieces by sabres, you probably never seen an horse in real life nor know what you're talking about, it takes tons of training and the right horses to do the things showed in the videos, its not like you jump on your horse, turn the engine on and start 360ing.

Actually, yes, the cavalry had trained horses because if they had not, they wouldn't be able to perform even the simplest charge. Or what am I talking about? A charge? They wouldn't be able to stand any near the battlefield in anything even slightly resembling a formation, because any unprepared horse would panic upon hearing the first canon shot and take his rider for random ride across the country... for as long as he would manage to keep himself in saddle. Even the people who re-create XIX century battles in our time and have fake musket fire, fake artillery fire (a bit less scary than real one, eh?) can't just bring any horse to such event and are forced to prepare their animals if they want to have any chance of obedience and composure on their side.

And no, it doesn't take any special horse nor years of special training for a horse to have a full gallop within few seconds. Saw and felt it under my very own bottom.

Offline Glopaxi

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Gefr_Glopaxi
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 12:07:27 am »
Oh and by the way, those are not 50km/h in 3 seconds and that is not an instant full stop.

My bad, of course war horses didn't have any training. They were being put into the stables until they were old enough to have a saddle put on them and were ridden into death. You telling me you ever sat on a horse? How was it being led in a circle?

Offline Rhen

• Colonel
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
And we all know you're the best at cav, Cooper. That's why Germany won this years cav tourney.

ouch

Offline Miller786

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 09:46:37 am »

My bad, of course war horses didn't have any training. They were being put into the stables until they were old enough to have a saddle put on them and were ridden into death. You telling me you ever sat on a horse? How was it being led in a circle?
Actually, yes, the cavalry had trained horses because if they had not, they wouldn't be able to perform even the simplest charge. Or what am I talking about? A charge? They wouldn't be able to stand any near the battlefield in anything even slightly resembling a formation, because any unprepared horse would panic upon hearing the first canon shot and take his rider for random ride across the country... for as long as he would manage to keep himself in saddle. Even the people who re-create XIX century battles in our time and have fake musket fire, fake artillery fire (a bit less scary than real one, eh?) can't just bring any horse to such event and are forced to prepare their animals if they want to have any chance of obedience and composure on their side.

And no, it doesn't take any special horse nor years of special training for a horse to have a full gallop within few seconds. Saw and felt it under my very own bottom.
we're talking about 360s here, of course a normal horse can do a full gallop but certainly it cant reach max speed in so few time as mount and blade and cannot stop instantly no matter how hard you look on the internet for the whatever race you wish, also gallop speed is different horse from horse.
You're trying to prove that NW cav is underpowered in handling compared to normal irl horses by showing me races of famous horses, i can not help but to laugh about it, stop trying to turn it around.

they were trained to stand gunfire but certainly not in race or circus numbers, i work with horses in my summer holidays and i see them nearly everyday.