Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 144264 times)

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jan_Pieterszoon_Coen
  • Side: Union
Re: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2019, 09:22:40 pm »
I was able to remember some bugs. For example, the Zouaves' guns didn't show up, this goes for more French regiment, and when you play as the French guards, your hands aren't in the gloves. The uniform of a British regiment doesn't show up, so the only thing you see is the head with the cap on it. For the Ottomans, it's quite alot, one of the main issues being a loading error when you select the Ottomans to play as them, which also causes your game to freeze. That's about all I remember. And regarding the options, I would suggest option 1.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:15:45 am by thepenguin »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #496 on: October 29, 2019, 09:12:32 am »
Thanks! I'll look into it

Offline Major Shanks of the 42nd

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 03, 2019, 12:51:44 am »
I know I am a wee bit late for feedback. I have been enjoying the mod for sometime now despite it being in alpha and using bots. The Uniforms look fantastic, as do the maps. I have only noticed 4 bugs thus far. Cavalry seem to have their hands showing through the gloves, The Royal Welch only don't have uniforms, The officer of the Royal Welch has some head showing through his hat and some French units don't have guns. Great work with the mod and I really look foreword to some other regiments.     

Offline HawkonPC

• Captain
  • 4e Hussard's Amateur Brigadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #498 on: November 03, 2019, 10:17:13 am »
Great mod! However, shouldn't there be more British regiments? You've posted quite alot of pictures of other regiments, which I would like to see added. I've also encountered quite alot of bugs and errors, primarily on the Ottoman, British and French side. I hope you're able to locate and fix them.

Thanks for your feedback!

There are more British (as well as French and Russian) regiments, but there was no room for them. I'm still thinking about how and where to add them
The options are:
1) add new unit sections for winter and summer uniform, uniforms of 1854 and of 1855 and so on,
2) add whole new allied faction with different uniforms
3) leave these uniforms as they are or slightly change current set of units, and all other uniforms add to singleplayer mod if I'll make it.
The British regiments are choosed mainly because of their musicians, each regiment at that time had their own pattern of musicians' lacing and of drums, and there is not so much information, so I added those regiments, which regimental lacing and drums I could find.

As for bugs and errors - that's the whole point of release of the alpha, to find them. So please PM me or post here bugs you've found, and I'll fix them. While making the mod simply there is no possibility to check all by myself, one man can't find all bugs :)

About the no room for more uniforms:

Speak to the North and South devs, they have managed to insert a ‘Next Page’  button on regiment select menu, meaning they can put a lot more units in the game, have a look, considering the amount of excellent uniforms you’ve created, it’d be a shame if you didn’t use most of them.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 03, 2019, 11:58:03 pm »
I know I am a wee bit late for feedback. I have been enjoying the mod for sometime now despite it being in alpha and using bots. The Uniforms look fantastic, as do the maps. I have only noticed 4 bugs thus far. Cavalry seem to have their hands showing through the gloves, The Royal Welch only don't have uniforms, The officer of the Royal Welch has some head showing through his hat and some French units don't have guns. Great work with the mod and I really look foreword to some other regiments.     

Thanks! Almost all of these bugs I saw and I think fixed them, when I'll fix some more bugs and hopefully finish or at least improve Alma map, I'll release a patch, I hope next week.

About the no room for more uniforms:

Speak to the North and South devs, they have managed to insert a ‘Next Page’  button on regiment select menu, meaning they can put a lot more units in the game, have a look, considering the amount of excellent uniforms you’ve created, it’d be a shame if you didn’t use most of them.

Thanks, but I think that there is no need in adding more uniforms per faction. In that time troops fought in large numbers and small variety of uniforms, so for relatively small maps of the game there must be 3-4 uniforms top. Besides, only British army will have a variety of uniforms, new Russian and French units will look almost the same. And also units must differ in stats and weapons, and any new units will have the same stats and weapons as the existing ones, and I don't think it is right. Also there is a problem with finding information about musicians' uniforms and drums painting of British regiments, each of them which had their own ones, I've spent enough of my time and money to make existing musicians.
So what I could do is just to add a winter uniform section and make it usable only on autumn and winter maps, but again - it will have visible changes only for British and Turkish army, because French and Russians wore greatcoats all the time, so maybe no change is needed at all. But I will decide that later, for now I'll need to fix bugs and finish new maps finally.
Anyway, the uniforms I've already made I'll add to the singleplayer mod for Warband (or who knows, maybe on Bannerlord), which will follow this mod, there can be used all the uniforms.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:30 pm »
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/crimean_war
Made a Steam group, feel free to join it :)

BTW, I think I finally made my server visible online, so there might be an event soon (I hope so at least)

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2019, 03:46:07 pm »

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jan_Pieterszoon_Coen
  • Side: Union
« Reply #502 on: November 11, 2019, 08:49:34 am »
The Ottomans are perfectly functional now, but for one unit, there's a big black line, don't know how to explain it. On the British side, there's now apparently a French Chasseur uniform, the hands of the Russian dragoons (if you play as them) still don't show up, if you play as the French Grenadier Guards, your hands still don't fit into the gloves. Furthermore, as far as I've checked, most stuff is fixed.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2019, 10:36:12 am »
The Ottomans are perfectly functional now, but for one unit, there's a big black line, don't know how to explain it. On the British side, there's now apparently a French Chasseur uniform, the hands of the Russian dragoons (if you play as them) still don't show up, if you play as the French Grenadier Guards, your hands still don't fit into the gloves. Furthermore, as far as I've checked, most stuff is fixed.

Thank you for your quick feedback, it's very useful. As for the black line of some Ottoman units - I thought I've fixed it, it must be something with rigging. I've certainly fixed it for two or three Ottoman uniforms, when I've tested the mod afterwards - there were no such bugs, but I could see not every uniform. Next time you see this black line - make a screenshot, please, so  I can understand which uniform to fix.
As for French uniform on British side - it's curious, I'll look into it. As for gloves and hands - maybe I've missed something, I'll check it all today in the evening.

BTW, I'm interested in community opinion. Is it better to release many small patches as soon as I fix or add something, or to release a patch once a week, so there will be less patches and more fixes and stuff within each patch?

Offline Ukima

• Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Nick: 32nd_Sjt_Ukima
« Reply #504 on: November 24, 2019, 03:13:48 pm »
I played some. The British uniforms look really nice! Especially the cavalry looks amazing! I hope France and the Ottomans will get more Cavalry units in the future? I still see there is some work to do though. The cavalry transitional animations still need some work. Some units still seem to have flintlock muskets. Was that on purpose? Or are there still some rifles you need to make? Also some texturing needs fixing. I think the accuracy is ok, but these were rifled muskets, so I think could actually even a bit more accurate.
But all in all, it already looks really promising!

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:49 pm »
I played some. The British uniforms look really nice! Especially the cavalry looks amazing! I hope France and the Ottomans will get more Cavalry units in the future? I still see there is some work to do though. The cavalry transitional animations still need some work. Some units still seem to have flintlock muskets. Was that on purpose? Or are there still some rifles you need to make? Also some texturing needs fixing. I think the accuracy is ok, but these were rifled muskets, so I think could actually even a bit more accurate.
But all in all, it already looks really promising!

Thanks for your reply!
1) I thought about adding French dragoons and Ottoman dragoons or lancers, but they saw almost no action in the Crimeea (they both were used only in the battle of Eupathoria and in piquets), as well as French cuirassiers (which were never engaged in a fight).
2) The cavalry animation is a reminder for me to make a new cavalry animation, but I can place back the old animation from the NW until then.
3) Flintlock muskets still were used in the Crimean war, some of Ottoman troops still had them, and some Russian sailors also had them, at least at Alma, so they are in the game on purpose.
4) First of all, not every unit had rifled muskets or rifles, not even in the British army, so I gave to the units historical weapons, that's why some units have percussion smoothbore muskets with accuracy just slightly higher than a flintlock musket's.
As for accuracy in general - accuracy of the rifles and rifled muskets of the Crimaen war era had pretty much the same accuracy as rifles' in the Napoleonic times, so for rifles and rifled muskets I made accuracy to be the same or a bit higher than accuracy of rifles in vanilla NW - but now rifled muskets have the same reloading time as muskets in NW (which was the main advantage of the Minie bullet, as well as of the Nessler bullet - rifles now took the same time to reload as smoothbore muskets). But in the same time this is not the case of Russian Littich rifle, which still needed to literally cut the bullet in the grooves all the way to the bottom of the barrel, so Russian rifle takes the same time to reload as rifles in vanilla NW, but at the same time it has the highest accuracy in the game, due to better fitting of the bullet to the barrel (and also to compensate the longest reloading time in the game).

As for textures - can you make screenshots or just name units with the texture problems?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:02 am »
I see, already 35 players downloaded the latest patch, which means that 35 players have an actual version of the mod and this is a sufficient number of players for an event (I waited until 30 players will have the latest version, yesterday there were 29 downloads, today there are 35 already), so I guess we can make an event this week. I think, Wednesday evening will be a good time for an event - in thas way there will be more time to spread the information about the event, and also there will be less waiting for the event :)

Event will start on Wednesday, 11.25.2019, at 20:00 CET
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:59:23 am by Ivkolya »

Offline Hello_The_Black

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #507 on: December 01, 2019, 03:26:12 am »
Does this mod have a discord server?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 01, 2019, 11:43:31 am »
Here is permanent link to the discord server of the mod
https://discord.gg/7gWQqxc

Offline Woeski

• First Lieutenant
  • (2Ch) - DDB - Mamluk
    • View Profile
    • 2Ch & BACM regiment
  • Nick: Woeski
« Reply #509 on: April 02, 2020, 07:48:32 pm »
Is development still going after Bannerlord?