Author Topic: EU Community Rep Post Jan-March Term  (Read 21865 times)

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: EU Community Rep Post Jan-March Term
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2019, 11:21:57 am »
tardet at it again with the tldrs

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2019, 11:25:31 am »

It's a disease
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:36 am »

It's a disease

The resin wy WN so reg wye tis s si be aus teh gem so gdu nad Tadre cnat hple hmislf

Offline Moraine

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 20th Maine Artillery Company Command Officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lady Moraine
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »
tardet the only non sweaty french player

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:01 pm »

some say it's because I never managed to be good at the game

some may be right

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2019, 12:34:20 pm »

some say it's because I never managed to be good at the game

some may be right
Carried by Lubukill.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2019, 12:37:40 pm »
You might want to be careful with using such a name.

We don't want to summon demons from the past

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2019, 12:39:38 pm »
Yes I do. #ReformDisciples
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2019, 02:05:05 pm »
Both patches were heavily influenced on what people were wanting out of them.  A lot of the stuff we added were things people asked for in the past.  Some new stuff was what we thought players would like.  We used player feedback in the various threads/messages to help tweak balancing on top of it being tested with other testers.  Obviously something like balance is very subjective, and no matter what you do, you are going to make some people unhappy.(and conversely, happy)  There were other bugs some people wanted us to leave in rather than remove, that made some people unhappy.  I'm not going to argue the game is perfect, but i personally think the game is in a better spot that it was before either patch.   Anyone can feel free to disagree. 

The idea of the first patch(server only) wasn't any CR driven thing.  It was something Vince and I discussed, and eventually started working on.  I spent a lot of time cataloging player bug reports, suggestions, and other stuff before we made it public.(the google doc got pretty long)  When it went from being a server side only patch to a full patch, we decided to add a lot more.  I decided to take my own stuff that i made for the official servers and add it in.  Other things like medics(maybe some people around here remember hitting people with construction hammers to heal) which i made the official servers, were made by vince for the patch.   Most of the bugs we fixed in either patch were bugs players reported.  I know it is hard to for someone who was not actively working on either patch to know how much impact people's opinions/suggestions had.  Most people just see the final result and make conclusions from that without knowing the path that it took to get there. 

Now, if you want to be technical, i was not an official  dev for the first patch, and was only a dev when the 2nd patch was released, but not when it was worked on that winter.  At the time i was just one of the Senior Admins/mod.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:25 pm »
Thanks for the input Thunder.

I obviously only speak from my perspective here but I feel a patch is always positive in the sense that it brings a bit of life back to an old game. Eventually, I wish there had been more patches, earlier on, but spending your time complaining ain't changing much. We wanted some changes, we got given some. Adding factions, units and other 'casual' features is always a plus and personally, that's something which keeps me interested in playing such games. It was also nice to see that the 'competitive side' of NW also got its own features with the 'competitive mod' keeping score intact, etc ..

You are also right in saying that every 'balance' is very subjective and that you will always have people complaining, no matter what. In my opinion, a patch/update, on top of bringing the aforementioned features, should also focus on making the game as fair as possible, meta-wise. The game isn't perfect but even if you look way back in the past, I feel it has always been in a 'decent' state and only required a few tweaks here and there. NW mechanisms can be glitchy/buggy but it's also what made the game's success and kept an active player base so many years after its release, and also a reason why - as you mentioned it once again - certain players were not necessarily in favour of removing every single one of them. Because some became something commonly accepted by a vast majority and only required a certain skill to be mastered, therefore being accessible to everyone taking the time to understand them.

But in certain cases, I feel having a real community input is sometimes required in order to pursue changes which are in favour of the majority. For instance, talking with most of the leaders of the cavalry community recently, I feel that the consequences of the changes made on the heavy cavalry have been somewhat underestimated by the development team. Of course, if you look at all the cavalry regiments playing on NW, most will argue that they do not care in which directions the patch goes cavalry-wise, because most of them don't understand the impact it can have and don't understand the game mechanics deeply enough to figure out what it really changes.

But for the regiments playing in cavalry leagues and tournaments (the 'competitive' cav community) and which is the one being the most impacted by the patch because they are the ones who spend the most time trying to understand/master the game mechanism, such changes can make a whole difference and turn a 'balanced' situation into a completely unfair one, because 99% of them are hussar regiments and from their perspective, the latest patch arguably made heavy cavalry overpowered.

Edit: I am not trying to imply that because of 99% of the cavalry competitive is hussar based, you have to favour them. I am just trying to suggest the idea that to make sure an update doesn't perturb a complicated balance, it's important to understand the situation prior to its release but also which groups it is going to affect. Because by tweaking heavy cav in order to make it 'fairer' from your perspective, you end up making it the oppositive for a large part of the community.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:31:48 pm by Tardet »

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2019, 02:26:12 pm »
Both patches were heavily influenced on what people were wanting out of them.  A lot of the stuff we added were things people asked for in the past.  Some new stuff was what we thought players would like.  We used player feedback in the various threads/messages to help tweak balancing on top of it being tested with other testers.  Obviously something like balance is very subjective, and no matter what you do, you are going to make some people unhappy.(and conversely, happy)  There were other bugs some people wanted us to leave in rather than remove, that made some people unhappy.  I'm not going to argue the game is perfect, but i personally think the game is in a better spot that it was before either patch.   Anyone can feel free to disagree. 

The idea of the first patch(server only) wasn't any CR driven thing.  It was something Vince and I discussed, and eventually started working on.  I spent a lot of time cataloging player bug reports, suggestions, and other stuff before we made it public.(the google doc got pretty long)  When it went from being a server side only patch to a full patch, we decided to add a lot more.  I decided to take my own stuff that i made for the official servers and add it in.  Other things like medics(maybe some people around here remember hitting people with construction hammers to heal) which i made the official servers, were made by vince for the patch.   Most of the bugs we fixed in either patch were bugs players reported.  I know it is hard to for someone who was not actively working on either patch to know how much impact people's opinions/suggestions had.  Most people just see the final result and make conclusions from that without knowing the path that it took to get there. 

Now, if you want to be technical, i was not an official  dev for the first patch, and was only a dev when the 2nd patch was released, but not when it was worked on that winter.  At the time i was just one of the Senior Admins/mod.

How do I build sapper towers now ? AMERICA EXPLAIN

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2019, 03:20:14 pm »
ohh noo

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
Hershey bar this thread says January to March and I only see a January here

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2019, 02:00:25 pm »
I'll lock this thread now since I've moved up to moderator ready for whoever becomes CR next.