Author Topic: Politics Thread 3.0  (Read 10743 times)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Politics Thread 3.0
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
Hey, I would talk about the jury-system in court in the US, but that'd probably get a fuclot of butthurt ammies in here.

You can talk about whatever you'd like. You just have to prepared to back up your arguments with evidence and rebuttals. If you can do that, then go ahead.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »
Hey, I would talk about the jury-system in court in the US, but that'd probably get a fuclot of butthurt ammies in here.

You can talk about whatever you'd like. You just have to prepared to back up your arguments with evidence and rebuttals. If you can do that, then go ahead.

Can't be bothered. The fact a jury can let someone go free of any punishment even though it has been proven someone actually, say, comitted serial killings, is weird. Although I have picked up that Americans can't really approve or disprove of it.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »

Can't be bothered. The fact a jury can let someone go free of any punishment even though it has been proven someone actually, say, comitted serial killings, is weird. Although I have picked up that Americans can't really approve or disprove of it.

Uh, that's not how it works, though. The jury does not have the final say. Anyway, do you have any examples of serial killers or others who have been proven guilty being let free because of something like that? It's not a thing that happens.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:25 pm »

Uh, that's not how it works, though. The jury does not have the final say. Anyway, do you have any examples of serial killers or others who have been proven guilty being let free because of something like that? It's not a thing that happens.

Examples, Please.
The jury does actually have the final say in it when someone is deemed not guilty by the jury. I don't even think they can get it to high court.
If they find them guilty why people are actually not, THEN they can be overruled by the judge.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 11:38:59 pm »
You're right about the not guilty verdict (although their decision can be later appealed). However, the jury must come to a unanimous decision regardless of their verdict, and the jury itself is chosen of thousands out of thousands of people who are screened meticulously to ensure that they will bring the most informed and unbiased views to the court room. The jury system actually works very well in America, and it's probably one of our most successful democratic systems. I suggest you do a bit of reading into how the jury system works before passing judgement - I think you'll find a lot of your concerns with it are non issues in practice.

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »
I'm gonna do that thing again

Spoiler
[close]
Just did it.

Spoiler

Economic Left/Right: 4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.03
[close]

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2014, 01:25:21 am »
Yeah I've got to agree with Nipple here, the Jury system is one of the things America's done very well.

Anyhow gentlemen, watch this little beauty. If it does it's job right, you'll be shocked, enraged, and cursing out a donkey.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplQL5eAxlY&list=UU3XTzVzaHQEd30rQbuvCtTQ[/youtube]
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »
ensure that they will bring the most informed and unbiased views to the court room.

You have got to be kidding me. I thought it was established that the American jury system is biased as fuck. Both in the past and present did it lead to mostly innocent black people to be convicted, even when it was proven they weren't.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2014, 08:48:34 pm »
Well, racist courts be racist. Dutch colonies had the same problem, it was the people's fault not the system. It's a barrel full of rotten apples, but the barrel can still be saved.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:43 pm »
ensure that they will bring the most informed and unbiased views to the court room.

You have got to be kidding me. I thought it was established that the American jury system is biased as fuck. Both in the past and present did it lead to mostly innocent black people to be convicted, even when it was proven they weren't.

In the past? Maybe, but that was at the most recent during the Jim Crow era, and goes all the way back to emancipation. It was messed up back then, but so was everything else. That's not really a product of the jury system being fucked up, but everything being fucked up.

In the present? Maybe in some very isolated instances over the years, but not really. The jury system has by and large served us well, now that blacks can't be convicted anymore just for talking to the wives of white men.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
For the sake of playing devil's advocate....

Rodney King.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:55 pm »
And debatably the OJ Simpson trial, but that's mostly speculation.

Offline Alpharion

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Jnafu Ajunf Najfu Fanju Ufanj
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
Bit off from the last time.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
And debatably the OJ Simpson trial, but that's mostly speculation.

The jury system does leave a bit too much in the hands of a possibly biased group.

I mean for God's sake there was video footage of the cops beating the sweet living shit out of King, and they all got acquitted.

Plus there's also still a racial bias in arrests, but that's another problem entirely.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2014, 08:46:36 am »
Well, racist courts be racist. Dutch colonies had the same problem, it was the people's fault not the system. It's a barrel full of rotten apples, but the barrel can still be saved.

The people make the system. If you truly want an unbiased system, you can create one to suit your needs.
Of course, in the past this happened generally. But hat was another time, another world. I just can't stand that it still happens. Especially when you today occasionally hear about some poor dead fucker who got sentenced to death for no reason, and that they only find out now.

GGWP