Author Topic: Favourite All Time Leader(s)  (Read 101250 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Favourite All Time Leader(s)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
How about besides posting lists of people, probably which you know little to nothing about, give us reasons why they are your favorite. That way your list isn't of popular people, and actually contains some intellectual insight as to why they are your favorite. I'd love to hear, along with others, about why they are your favorite.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
Napoleon, not only for being one of the greatest military geniuses that ever lived, but his politics were modernised and brought France out of the dark routines after the revolution, restoring the Catholic church to the appeasment of the common people and the restructuring of the French education system.
No matter what people say of his policies, he changed France for the better after the Revolution.

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 10:31:44 am »
Mannerheim - The first and only marshal of Finland. He rose to the rank of general of cavalry in the imperial Russian army before the revolution, after which he travelled back to Finland. In Finland he amongst other things lead the whites (non-communist side) in victory over the reds in the Finnish civil war. He also acted as regent for Finland after german prince who was king elect chose to reconsidr accepting the throne of Finland.

During the second world war he was commander-in-chief of the finnish forces, and managed to keep one if the most assymetric theathres (in terms of manpower and resources) in the second world war going. Afterwards he was president of Finland for some time. Mannerheim was accordingly instrumental in keeping Finland in the wester, non-communist sphere, keeping Finland independent and healing the wounds caused by the civil war. He is one of the few people decorated by all sides in both the first and second world wars.

Napoleon - Everyone know of his military genious, but for me having an impact on society as whole is as important as being a good general. I think we're all aware of Napoleons military genious, but for me his civil contributions are very important, if not more important. The fact that he was the patron of things such as the code Napoleon and metric system and reconcilling the good ideas of the revolution with the french society is what qualifies him as a great leader, whathever one thinks of him as a person.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »
Ok, that's easy, you can gues who I name:

Friedrich II. der Große (Frederick II the Great)

Quote from:  Napoléon Bonaparte on October 25, 1806 in Potsdam near Berlin
"If tis man would be still alive, I wouldn't stand here."

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:39 pm »
William of Orange-
Because without him the Netherlands will still been an Spanish Habsburg.

Nunc aut nunquam

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:30 pm »
William of Orange-

I highly doubt that.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:48 pm »
Hmm this is a toughy...

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »
Chinghis Khan, no contest.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »
William of Orange-

I highly doubt that.

He's speaking of the man that lead the Dutch revolt, not the King or Prince in 1815.

On a side note, the Dutch revolt was the funniest and eagerless-est revolt EVER.  ;D

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 07:28:32 pm »
William of Orange-

I highly doubt that.

He's speaking of the man that lead the Dutch revolt, not the King or Prince in 1815.

On a side note, the Dutch revolt was the funniest and eagerless-est revolt EVER.  ;D

Oh, I thought he meant the latter.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »
 William of Orange (Dutch: Willem van Oranje), was the main leader of the Dutch revolt against the Spanish that set off the Eighty Years' War and resulted in the formal independence of the United Provinces in 1648. He was born in the House of Nassau as Count of Nassau-Dillenburg. He became Prince of Orange in 1544 and is thereby the founder of the branch House of Orange-Nassau.
A wealthy nobleman, William originally served the Habsburgs as a member of the court of Margaret of Parma, governor of the Spanish Netherlands. Unhappy with the centralisation of political power away from the local estates and with the Spanish persecution of Dutch Protestants, William joined the Dutch uprising and turned against his former masters. The most influential and politically capable of the rebels, he led the Dutch to several successes in the fight against the Spanish. Declared an outlaw by the Spanish king in 1580, he was assassinated by Balthasar Gérard (also written as "Gerardts") in Delft four years later.
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »
Don't copy stuff from wikipedia to look smart  :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Silent

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »
Obama, anyone?

In all seriousness though, I'd personally say Alexander, and/or the emperor Vespasian. In some ways, even the emperors Nero and Caligula were great in their own fashions - both were popular with the roman Plebs, much of their poor reputation was the result of unavoidable mental illness. Before he fell seriously ill Caligula is reported as being a hugely talented and promising emperor.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 08:00:28 pm »
Obama, anyone?

In all seriousness though, I'd personally say Alexander, and/or the emperor Vespasian. In some ways, even the emperors Nero and Caligula were great in their own fashions - both were popular with the roman Plebs, much of their poor reputation was the result of unavoidable mental illness. Before he fell seriously ill Caligula is reported as being a hugely talented and promising emperor.

Caligula before he went crazy - yeah. Nero? No. He was a complete madman. I think they only reason the people didn't hate him is because he didn't give any fucks about them  ::)

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »
He gradually grew more and more insane, I'll grant you, but one of the major causes of his insanity was the power he held. He quite definitely abused his power, but he was a very avid patron of the dramatic arts, and despite his insanity he had great plans for Rome in that regard.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?