Author Topic: I've got a few server setup questions  (Read 1602 times)

Offline vtz

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
I've got a few server setup questions
« on: February 02, 2016, 01:01:47 am »
Hello guys,
So I really enjoy the concept of EU_Commander battle and I'm probably going to rent a server in N&S. I'd really like to import the idea on my server. There are some server settings that are not accesible via admin panel though, and I'd like to ask you how to set them up. These are:

-fixing/unfixing randomization of factions;
-adding custom scenes;
-adding a scene queue / a system that randomizes a scene from a certain set of scenes;
-customizing a number of soldiers a unit type can get (i.e. make light inf get less men than line inf);
-making a squad size drop or rise according to number of players on the server.

So if you know how to set any of these, please reply! Thank you  :)
Basically, I'm a mature person with an immature voice.

Offline World_Edit_XIII

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a few server setup questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:58:55 am »
I think what you are looking for is changing the settings of the NW_Sample_Battle.txt file. (or any of the other NW.txt files depending on which is used for the server startup).

In that file there are all the base settings for the NW server to run. For example this line

set_pass_admin YOURADMINPASS

sets the admin pass to whatever you type after it.

The settings that you are looking for are:

Spoiler
#adding all nations to both sides just to randomize all of them
#adding less nations will reduce the randomization set (used in set_randomize_factions command)
add_factions fac_britain fac_britain
add_factions fac_france fac_france
add_factions fac_prussia fac_prussia
add_factions fac_russia fac_russia
add_factions fac_austria fac_austria
set_randomize_factions 1
[close]
For the factions. The scene rotation is done in the following way:

Spoiler
set_map mp_arabian_village
add_map mp_arabian_village_morning
add_map mp_avignon_morning
add_map mp_beach
add_map mp_beach_morning
add_map mp_countryside_day
add_map mp_river_crossing
add_map mp_swamp
[close]

Where the set_map will be the one that starts first, and then it will just run the list of add_map in order.

For customs scenes, you can easily edit any of the standard maps into something custom, for example you can make mp_beach_day into a city surrounded by plains.

Note that all changes to the NW.txt file requires the server .exe instance to restart. So you wont be able to change the random factions on/off without restarting for example.
You can however use customized scripts to do that for you, you just need to know python to implement them ::)

Same goes for the change of numbers for unit types in commander battle. Those ratios are fixed, so you need to customize your script file to change them. Luckily it's already put in that skirms/rifles/lights units get a few less soldiers than a line in commander battle.

The dropping and rising of the normal squad size is again doable with custom scripts to automate them. However you can just have good admin coverage to negate that problem, since the admins can just change the unit size accordingly.   ;)

Hope these help you
~ World

Offline jesseownsyou

• Private
  • High quality servers: oasis-hosting.net
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Conner
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:54 am »
Hello,

Oasis Hosting has some great tools making server set up extremely easy, we feature a custom control panel coded by myself, including an automatic mod installer. You won't have to lift a finger, mods like North & South will come pre configured for you!

If you are interested, feel frew to add me on Steam: Jesseownsyou  or order directly from our website: www.oasis-hosting.net
Looking for a affordable server host for Mount & Blade: Warband, Counter Strike or Team Fortress? Look no further!http://www.oasis-hosting.net

Offline vtz

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:03 am »
I think what you are looking for is changing the settings of the NW_Sample_Battle.txt file. (or any of the other NW.txt files depending on which is used for the server startup).

In that file there are all the base settings for the NW server to run. For example this line

set_pass_admin YOURADMINPASS

sets the admin pass to whatever you type after it.

The settings that you are looking for are:

Spoiler
#adding all nations to both sides just to randomize all of them
#adding less nations will reduce the randomization set (used in set_randomize_factions command)
add_factions fac_britain fac_britain
add_factions fac_russia fac_russia
add_factions fac_austria fac_austria
set_randomize_factions 1
[close]
For the factions. The scene rotation is done in the following way:

Spoiler
set_map mp_arabian_village
add_map mp_arabian_village_morning
add_map mp_avignon_morning
add_map mp_beach
add_map mp_beach_morning
add_map mp_countryside_day
add_map mp_river_crossing
add_map mp_swamp
[close]

Where the set_map will be the one that starts first, and then it will just run the list of add_map in order.

For customs scenes, you can easily edit any of the standard maps into something custom, for example you can make mp_beach_day into a city surrounded by plains.

Note that all changes to the NW.txt file requires the server .exe instance to restart. So you wont be able to change the random factions on/off without restarting for example.
You can however use customized scripts to do that for you, you just need to know python to implement them ::)

Same goes for the change of numbers for unit types in commander battle. Those ratios are fixed, so you need to customize your script file to change them. Luckily it's already put in that skirms/rifles/lights units get a few less soldiers than a line in commander battle.

The dropping and rising of the normal squad size is again doable with custom scripts to automate them. However you can just have good admin coverage to negate that problem, since the admins can just change the unit size accordingly.   ;)

Hope these help you
~ World

Woah, great piece of work, you actually covered everything I asked about. I'm very grateful, thanks! :)
I've got 1 question though: If I only set for example
and won't add other faction, they server will stick on these two, right?

Hello,

Oasis Hosting has some great tools making server set up extremely easy, we feature a custom control panel coded by myself, including an automatic mod installer. You won't have to lift a finger, mods like North & South will come pre configured for you!

If you are interested, feel frew to add me on Steam: Jesseownsyou  or order directly from our website: www.oasis-hosting.net

There is already a company that sponsors my event server and it would be very unfair on me to order a perm server from someone else  ;) Thank you for your offer though, and I wish you good luck with your company! You offer very good prices ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:30:34 am by vtz »

Offline Sephira

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:43 am »
Hi Vtz,

As long as you hash out the add factions for the factions you don't want or have only the factions in that you do in the start file, the server will only pick the factions defined in the .txt file. The other factions may be still available to select (but I may incorrect) in the admin panel but server will only use defined factions in its automated cycle.

In your FTP you should have a 'readme' help file which contains all the different commands you can define in your startup file, instead of deleting ones you don't want in your sample file you can use # as the server ignores these lines.

Izu
Elora Taurus
I like working on Servers.

IntelĀ® i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 @ 2400MHz, 6GB Asus Dual OC GTX 1060, Soundblaster ZX, 240GB Samsung SSD & 3000GB Seagate HDD

Offline vtz

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:37:33 pm »
Thank you for your help too, Izu  :) The reason why I don't want factions to change is that N&S is based on NW, but there are only 2 good factions in it: CSA (under Britain) and USA (under Austria) Prussia, Russia and France might still randomize, so I want to make sure factions will be locked, in order not to get an invalid faction (especially when there's no admin on the server  ;)

Offline Sephira

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 02:51:12 pm »
No problem :) If you want any help setting up your N&S Server when you have your proper Server or want to trial out certain things you'd like to do on your proper Server feel free to message us as Elora Taurus would be happy to help out.
I like working on Servers.

IntelĀ® i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 @ 2400MHz, 6GB Asus Dual OC GTX 1060, Soundblaster ZX, 240GB Samsung SSD & 3000GB Seagate HDD