Author Topic: Zombies  (Read 14537 times)

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Zombies
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 01:14:46 am »
Grab a bat, hop in a van and play zombie baseball, like what people do to mail boxes. Seems like the only logical thing to do since morals gone out the window.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 01:37:27 am »
What about when you run out of rifle ammunition? The gun stores would be the first things to be lotted in an apocalypse, bullets would become scarce fast. I'll stil with my  my medieval armory  :P
... go down in a pile of (empty) brass.

Reloading would sustain my supplies for a while*. Undoubtedly I will run out of ammunition eventually, but I will be able to fire more than anyone with a muzzle-loaded weapon, and defend myself easier than anyone with any kind of hand-to-hand weaponry. I have no illusion that I'd survive in such a situation, given that a majority of people wouldn't. I would merely make it easier on anyone who came after me with better resources available.

Also, I have no idea what you mean when you say 'medieval armory'. A sword? A mace or flail? A spear, axe, pike, halberd, dirk, scimitar, poleaxe, dagger?

Also, the ammunition supply in America, assuming that ~80% of people died, should last decades for the survivors. By that point, people would begin manufacturing the stuff again. If not, society is so far down a hole that it cannot possibly recover within any foreseeable future.
[close]

A note for anyone who cares
I'm here to provoke some thought amongst everyone about how they'd defend themselves in a situation in which one may have to do so for any period of time. I'm not trying to cause any arguments. :P
[close]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:40:52 am by TheBoberton »

Offline Melmil

• Second Lieutenant
  • Since when are we entitled to anything?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 76th_Ojajajsjsjs_Hans
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:41:35 am »
I'd be consumed by a mass of zombies as I feebly attempt to escape dense urban centers.

Alternatively, I'd be shot by someone in my town who considers me a threat to their survival.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:43 am »
 I'd just stay on my farm, it's pretty isolated (it's sorrounded by a rivine, and the only way across is a bridge). If I am to die, it will be there, in a place I can take many with me (whether they're other survivors or zombies). Running around scavenging, as apposed to harvesting my own resources, is just tiring. Why die tired?
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:47 am »
In a country with basicly no weapons in civilian hands, the re-enactors will have a slight advantage.

There's one castle/fort that especially comes to my mind, and we actually regulary drill there. It's surrounded by a whats-it-called of water, then has high earth walla which can't be climbed without an effort, and the only entrance is by a wooden bridge, trough a thick gate. And there's even a big ass stone castle WITH ANOTHER WATERTHINY surrounding it. In other words, double defence!

Plus its kinda remote, surrounded by farmlands full of sheeps. I'm gonna survive, suckers.

And when you run out of gunpowder, or lead to make ammunition..? I can only assume you can't carry too much of that on your own.

Give them the bayo!

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:51 am »
Well personally i'd lay low until all the panick and stuff quietens down, take my longbow, break into the local shooting range and take sufficient amounts of guns, gun parts and ammunition, then when my food gets low i'd go looting shops for medicen, food tins and water bottles. Then proceed to destroy all the zombies in my village.... should be around 2,000 of them :p

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:03:48 am »
What makes you think we have gun stores in NL? Also, I lay my changes in the castle. I mean, what can't reach you can't eat you :p
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:05:44 am by Duuring »

Offline Wolfy

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm not crazy. The people in my head told me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wolfy
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
I have thought about this before(Like Duuring i a a teenager with no life)Sadly i live in the UK so it's hard to a gun,but i am from the south west so we have lots of farmers with hiden guns.And it depends on the zombies,are we taking the walking dead zombies,28 weeks later zombies,zombie land zombies? Cuz all are pretty  diffrent.
But i live in a town where i a the only teenger,the rest are allover 70.So i a not to botherd about them ging after me till they get there teeth in  :P

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 12:26:35 pm »
Really, if this stuff happens, your survival depends on a good hiding spot. Especially if it's global. You can't fight them all, you just gotta survive. Get in those castles, damned!

Not sure why I take stuff so serious...but well. I like this thread  ::)

Offline Bonnyjoy

• Captain
  • Ex-Inmate of the 84e Prison
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bonnyjoy
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »
Depends on which Kinder! of zombies i have to face, it they are those fast suckers i would search for guns and fortify myhome or any other *safe* place. If the zombies are these slow ones i would grab an axe and slaughter them all  8)

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:14 pm »
I have thought about this before(Like Duuring i a a teenager with no life)Sadly i live in the UK so it's hard to a gun,but i am from the south west so we have lots of farmers with hiden guns.And it depends on the zombies,are we taking the walking dead zombies,28 weeks later zombies,zombie land zombies? Cuz all are pretty  diffrent.
But i live in a town where i a the only teenger,the rest are allover 70.So i a not to botherd about them ging after me till they get there teeth in  :P
Probably jogging speed zombies that are more populated in larger cities. Example- In walking Dead, not to many zombies around farm compared to the shitload of zombies in the first season in Atlanta.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 02:11:49 pm »
I can imagine the reenactors trying to hold their ground against a zombie mass, 1800's style.

I personally would grab a shotgun, any shotgun, because I fucking love shotguns, and I'd sit on my porch like a southern gentlemen, calmly shooting any zombies who cross over onto my lawn.
In a country with basicly no weapons in civilian hands, the re-enactors will have a slight advantage.

There's one castle/fort that especially comes to my mind, and we actually regulary drill there. It's surrounded by a whats-it-called of water, then has high earth walla which can't be climbed without an effort, and the only entrance is by a wooden bridge, trough a thick gate. And there's even a big ass stone castle WITH ANOTHER WATERTHINY surrounding it. In other words, double defence!

Plus its kinda remote, surrounded by farmlands full of sheeps. I'm gonna survive, suckers.
I don't see how re-enactors would have a slight advantage in that. There is castles all over the place, and I am sure that the majority of the populace knows that. :P
In addition to castles, there is also plenty of fortified houses with moats, walls, metal gates and bridges of course.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »
Well, we would be AT the castle atm. Plus, weapons. And just a slight advantage, eh  ::)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »
There's this old folks home near my house which is about 3 stories and made of brick and not very heavily populated currently. I would gather the friends and family that I could save, and move in to the old folks home. The thing is like a castle but with electricity :P board up and barricade every entrance, and then destroy the stairs leading to the 2nd floor and replace them with rope ladders which can be raised or lowered - this way the nommers can't get up but my people can get up and down. In addition to the supplies I and my companions will bring with us, the old folks home is bound to have medical supplies as well as food and water. The advantage to the old folks home is that it's not guarded, it's built like a fort, it's sanitary, and nobody would think to go there for raiding, everybody always talks about going to gun shops and grocery stores and walmarts so the chance of clashing with another group of people is unlikely. And having 3 floors and a roof gives us a good view of everything around us.

You might be wondering what I'll do when the food stocks run out, well there is a large state park nearby which means lots of game (squirrels, coons, opossum, deer, and plants) as well as plenty of firewood and wood for building fortifications. In addition to that, we can also raid the nearby neighborhoods for food and water. And seeing as there are a number of houses within range of the old folks home, a sniper on the roof could provide covering fire to the raiding party, or if the range is too great, he could at least give them an eye in the sky on their surroundings. There is also a good deal of land resting around the building which would be great for farming, gradually over time I would have my group build a wall, piece by piece to protect the farm. Seeing as it is a large structure with plenty of rooms, and we would be able to sustain ourselves for a long time, the fortification would easily be enough for my friends and family to take shelter and survive.

As far as combating the undead goes, I personally do not think that modern tactical gear will always be right for a zombie apocalypse scenario. It's designed for firefights with other guys who have guns, not for fighting off a mindless zombie trying to rip a chunk out of you with his teeth. And seeing as I have the physique to engage in a melee scenario and not fall breathless within minutes, I personally would feel much safer using melee weaponry rather than firearms - if I were skilled enough with a bow and arrow I would almost certainly use one, maybe the apocalypse would provide me with enough time to learn lol - for the simple reasons of 1) there is no reloading a melee weapon 2) melee weapons don't make noises that attract nommers 3) a melee weapon doesn't jam 4) you can purchase a combat-built melee weapon very inexpensively and without any kind of registration or troubles. This does not mean I will completely forgo firearms, that would be silly. But I would prefer to use them only against raiders or looters rather than undead who can't shoot back.

A few things I would carry (this isn't some "ZPOC wishlist" I actually own these things)
-Machete (I have 2)
-Hatchet
-Trench knife
-Cavalry saber (you never know)
-Hydration pouch
-chest rig for carrying ammunition
-goggles to keep nommer blood out of my eyes
-gloves
-some kind of face wrap like a recon wrap or a shemagh (they have multiple uses)
-Hunting rifle (30-06 caliber)
-Various useful things (pencil, paper, military field manuals to train people, binoculars, lighter, multi-tool)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
You miss out the fact that Humans don't try to run towards a gun, and once in melee they try to fight as well as survive. Zombies will just go berserk on to you.  :P

the thing is like a castle but with electricity

Oh, but the castle actually has electricity. It even has toilets, so I assume it has clean water too. In fact, here are two pictures of it:
Spoiler
[close]
Still safe! The only thing that will be troublesome is when other survivors find out we got a safe spot. I think that's one of the big issues in any catastrophe, but with zombies (
'maybe he's bitten!') it would be only worse. Tough decisions will be made that you don't consider anyone, especially yourself, capable of.  :-\

I love this thread, by the way <3 More replies!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:44:07 pm by Duuring »