Author Topic: European Groupfighting League/Cup - Pre Discussions  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
European Groupfighting League/Cup - Pre Discussions
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:26:50 am »
It's no secret, I plan on organizing a groupfighting league in the upcoming months. I have several ideas on what I want to bring, also already have several people willing to help me out as admin but because there is still a few weeks before I release the thread, I figured out it would be worth to discuss certain aspects of this league. I don't have everyone on steam, I don't necessarily contact everyone I have there either as it's time confusing, but having as many people as possible voicing an opinion will hopefully help me taking decisions which please a majority of the players.

Here are the aspects of the tournament which I would like to discuss, from the 'less likely' to change, to the 'most likely':

Schedule
Without agreeing on a proper format, it's hard to plan on how long that league could last. However, I already know that this will 'likely' start in September. I don't favor starting a league early or mid-august because it's usually vacations time for many people and while some obviously have better availabilities, some other are simply not home.

The main argument I had in favor of starting a league in August is that people will be busy with school/work in September. While it's true, competitive leagues/tournament happen every time of the year, not necessarily during vacations. It's mostly about people to learn managing their priorities and not committing to a league of this stature if they are having heavy studies. Moreover, even while starting in August, the league would still need to continue during a September for sometime so in my eyes, it's a false argument. 
[close]

Size
At the moment, I'm leaning towards 6v6 or 7v7. If you want to argue about the advantages of 5v5 or 8v8, feel free, but do know I have considered all of them and there is a reason if I feel 6v6/7v7 are more fitting for this sort of competition.
[close]

Format
That's probably the aspect of the tournament where I'm the more willing to hear your suggestions. I have pretty much seen all type of viable format, most of them have been tried on warband at one point, and most of them have their pros & cons. You can opt for a league with several divisions (that's really interesting if you plan on having several editions of your league happening, then you have promotion matches each seasons, gives a chance for teams to go up), you can go for the usual group + knockouts or you have the round robin + knockouts, etc ..

Even thought I have some ideas in my head of what I would like to do, I am still not too sure what would be the best with the current state of the community so that's why I am hoping for some feedbacks.
[close]

This thread will remain open for a good two weeks. Then the actual tournament thread will be posted and sign-ups will be opened. So give you opinion while you still can.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: European Groupfighting League/Cup - Pre Discussions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:58:11 am »
I think September would be best as I already had several people contact me about my next tournament asking me to push it back to September due to holidays.

For the size we've only ever done a 5v5 GFL so I'd really like to see something different, I always prefer the larger formats personally as generally speaking the matches are bit less 'boring' or 'defensive' such as 7v7 or 8v8. I like the idea of a league with several divisions, especially if it makes for shorter seasons due to smaller leagues so things can change more frequently. I do think it'd still be beneficial to have playoffs as part of this though.

I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Gi

• General
  • #freepoland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Snappers_Gi
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:11:48 pm »
Structure it like WIS also 6v6-7v7 max

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:41:22 pm »
7v7 with divisions sounds good. Force teams to play at least 2 matches per week though as it's a known fact anything longer than 2 months will result in players losing interest.
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:13:54 pm »
7v7 with divisions sounds good. Force teams to play at least 2 matches per week though as it's a known fact anything longer than 2 months will result in players losing interest.
Or more divisions with smaller team counts in each.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:12 pm »
If we go with divisions + playoffs, that means it will be small divisions yeah. If we go with divisions but no playoffs, then it allows for more matches to be played among the division itself, therefore allowing a larger number of teams per divisions.

Edit: I like GI's suggestion of using a similar format to the WIS (latest native tournament). It's a bit more complex but it solves the main issue of having the usual division + playoffs format where the division part essentially serves as seeding the teams for the playoffs, therefore not pushing bad results too much since all teams know they will make it to the playoffs anyways.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:34:34 pm by Tardet »

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
  • drinkin' Moets holdin Tecs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 05:57:58 pm »
8v8 good as more shit people can play yes
si vis pacem, parabellum

Offline Smylie

• Captain
  • Cool Kid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smylie
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 08:31:31 am »
Not sure there are 16 teams who can get more than 7 people to be active and play

Offline KOBZIK

• Colonel
  • Сосать, уроды, сосать!!! (с)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 10:18:52 am »
If you go with groups and play-offs, then maybe its better to play the Groupstage in one-day-tournament format. It can reduce the tournament time and you can end the league in 1 month.
23:05 - 37th | Bodya: what he need will be do ?

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
If you go with groups and play-offs, then maybe its better to play the Groupstage in one-day-tournament format. It can reduce the tournament time and you can end the league in 1 month.

Tiberias suggested that idea to me while discussing the flaws of the M-NWWC format and I believe it's actually a really smart one. I really like the division system on the other hand but it's hard to make it fair for everyone (aka having everyone playing each other in the same division + knockout stage) without dragging the tournament for too long. It will likely depend on wherever or not teams feel ready to commit for a two months tournament. If I feel it will end-up like most previous Groupfighting League, then I might just not risk it and use the format you suggested.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:53:47 am by Tardet »

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 04:41:29 pm »
fastest melee speed

thanks

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 04:57:53 pm »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 05:52:24 pm »
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 06:24:43 pm »
am i the only one who actually likes fastest