Poll

Which would you prefer? (if any)

NWBC (NW Battle Championship league)
47 (82.5%)
NW Campaign (Bot campaign)
10 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: New large scale event... Pick!  (Read 3961 times)

Offline DarklingGames

• Sergeant Major
  • Ensign in the 33rd regiment of foot
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Darklin
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: New large scale event... Pick!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 10:43:43 pm »
when i was Col of 18th we were having ideas with 2v2 Linebattles..... its literally as basic as it sounds, 2 regiments vs another 2.... each team has many ways they can go about it, e.g. stick together, pretend to be 1 massive line, or 1 line distract while the other flank.... any similar concept to those would interest me.  either way gl with whichever u choose kinky!

Edit: so NWBC pretty much is what im saying, but with however many regiments u choose per side.

Thanks bae x

Essentially this is what i'm proposing (as in it's on a comparatively small scale) but with the addition of the cav and lights to spice things up and let bigger regs use their additional companies. No FiC rules and 50v50 will allow for a decent proportion of melee to shooting I reckon with less lag than your typical LB.
Spoiler
[close]
Unicorn Army 2.0 when?

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 02:43:52 am »
when i was Col of 18th we were having ideas with 2v2 Linebattles..... its literally as basic as it sounds, 2 regiments vs another 2.... each team has many ways they can go about it, e.g. stick together, pretend to be 1 massive line, or 1 line distract while the other flank.... any similar concept to those would interest me.  either way gl with whichever u choose kinky!

Edit: so NWBC pretty much is what im saying, but with however many regiments u choose per side.

Thanks bae x

Essentially this is what i'm proposing (as in it's on a comparatively small scale) but with the addition of the cav and lights to spice things up and let bigger regs use their additional companies. No FiC rules and 50v50 will allow for a decent proportion of melee to shooting I reckon with less lag than your typical LB.
sounds good, not sure how the no FiC rule will go down, depends on your target audience as more competitive regiments will want a FiC rule whereas i imagine casual dont???? not sure

Offline [2ndHess] lukasoh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 08:17:33 am »
NWBC sounds great! There are some regs that will take part even if they arent competitive! Good luck!

Offline King_George

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: king_george
  • Side: Union
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 09:48:18 am »
I'm in for the large scale, laggy battles so you know my choice ;)  ;D 8)

Offline Skittykiller

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skitty, DOG GAME
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 03:56:09 am »
To be honest this could work if more of the casual regiments would join in, im sure some would be interested in experiencing this. As long you wont make this to competitive then it need to be most should join in. But ye if it wont really work out does it have to be 50v50 or will the minimum be less?

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
    • No need to cringe you w my experience
  • Nick: Loyalty, Honour, Integrity
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 12:58:44 pm »
People think casual regiments that pride themselves on hating competitions and competitive regs will be the driving force in a competition? Idk.
Seems like a cool idea just not too sure how many regiments can pull 50+ people as most struggle to get 15 for EIC.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 01:01:34 pm »
People think casual regiments that pride themselves on hating competitions and competitive regs will be the driving force in a competition? Idk.
Seems like a cool idea just not too sure how many regiments can pull 50+ people as most struggle to get 15 for EIC.

Pretty sure not every casual regiment have the same approach as the 19th. Also, the minimum attendance of 50 is for the coalition entirely, not one regiment. 
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:58 pm »

Pretty sure not every casual regiment have the same approach as the 19th. Also, the minimum attendance of 50 is for the coalition entirely, not one regiment.

But from experience coalitions are far more likely to get absolutely smacked by one big regiment and id say most the casual regiments don’t like competitions that’s why they are casual and that’s how they advertise themselves to their members

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 01:47:15 pm »

But from experience coalitions are far more likely to get absolutely smacked by one big regiment and id say most the casual regiments don’t like competitions that’s why they are casual and that’s how they advertise themselves to their members
I see what you're saying, for a regiment like 33rd that can bring 70 to an event on a good day Vs 5 regiments of 10-15 people it obvious who would win.
But I assume the point of this event is for it not to be another 33rd casual event but more individually hosted by Kincaid??? Not sure tbh.

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 03:31:45 pm »
all random no? so we can prevent stuff like coalitions like 33rd et cetera.
for example 33rd Line with 92nd Lights with 40th cav and HRE arty
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 03:47:16 pm »
all random no? so we can prevent stuff like coalitions like 33rd et cetera.
for example 33rd Line with 92nd Lights with 40th cav and HRE arty
Good idea but what about if one reg aren’t anywhere near as good, the regs don’t work together and why would we have a regiment with multiple companies if we can’t work together in an event basically tailored for a regiment with many companies

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 03:50:06 pm »
I would personally allow a corps to sign-up and just not have all of its units divided in three or four different coalitions. Same for regiments with several companies.

At the end of the day, it's still is a competition, which means that if you have worked hard on building several companies, you should be able to sign them up together. The independent regiment (be it light, line, art or cav) can look to form a coalition with other regiments they are familiar with, or sign-up as an independent structure and be matched with other independent structures.

Sure, regiments like the 33rd will start the competition with a significant advantage due to a natural synergy between their different companies, but they can still be beaten by individual regiments teaming up together, as it was proven in the past.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:55 am »
I'm not convinced that large corps/reg sign-ups would be as destabilizing as you might imagine them to be Cameron/Ry4n; the fact that these groups can pull so many players to one event is testament to the fact the majority of their population is not very competitive. It's also worth mentioning that these groups cannot field their full numbers very successfully without a great deal of planning, hence why if the 33rd signed up for example I would say we would be very likely to sign-up with another smaller reg in tow (primarily to make the arraning of matches more flexible).

I am more concerned with coalitions forming, comprised of multiple regs which have the comp players to attend tournaments in their own right. This will be the thing i'll be looking out for to ensure it doesn't destabilize the balance of the event.

Re. the comment on casual regiments not being interested; the inclusion of classes such as cav and lights offer more opportunity for shooting to have an impact on round outcome. This coupled with a lower min. player count of 50 per side to reduce lag in melee & match dependant exclusion of arty will (I hope) make for a very interesting and enjoyable tournament, for both the comp and more casual community.

I'm pretty sure we have sufficient support for the NWBC so watch this space... If you are thinking of attending this would be a good time to open discussion with fellow regs to get amicable groups together for this :D

The Bot campaign also has some excellent support, (from both participants last year and some new ones) so this may well follow shortly after!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:33:34 am by 33rdKincaid »

Offline Jakob van Bicke

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2ndHess_Col_Señor_Jakob
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 04:49:54 pm »
I don't think splitting up regiments into their companies is a good thing to do. I think you guys underestimate the danger coming from coalitions formed from elite regiments in their specific classes. Just imagine a coalition from 15thYR, 17e, 8eHuss and whoever is good at skirms and arty (don't know lots about the competitive scene in NW apart from Line Infantry)
I'm not sure if 33rd (or any other large regiment) would be able to defeat such a high-skill coalition.

Also I agree (think it was mentioned earlier in this discussion), that you shouldn't punish large regiments that were able to build themselves up to such a size by splitting them into their companies. There's a lot of organization to be done to keep a large regiment like that going and I respect every regiment that is able to do so.

Other than that I can only say, that 2ndHess would love to participate in NWBC. We hope it doesn't interfere with 59th NWCL though. Would be lovely if Kincaid and King_Kaide (pun intended) would communicate about that one ^^

Offline 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 05:16:22 pm »
I don't think splitting up regiments into their companies is a good thing to do. I think you guys underestimate the danger coming from coalitions formed from elite regiments in their specific classes. Just imagine a coalition from 15thYR, 17e, 8eHuss and whoever is good at skirms and arty (don't know lots about the competitive scene in NW apart from Line Infantry)
I'm not sure if 33rd (or any other large regiment) would be able to defeat such a high-skill coalition.

Also I agree (think it was mentioned earlier in this discussion), that you shouldn't punish large regiments that were able to build themselves up to such a size by splitting them into their companies. There's a lot of organization to be done to keep a large regiment like that going and I respect every regiment that is able to do so.

Other than that I can only say, that 2ndHess would love to participate in NWBC. We hope it doesn't interfere with 59th NWCL though. Would be lovely if Kincaid and King_Kaide (pun intended) would communicate about that one ^^

100% agree with all of the above. A comp reg coalition is something I'd look to avoid when accepting sign-ups! Thanks for the kind words :)

Some coordination re. NWCL will definitely be called for. All I would say though when forming coalitions, I would advise sign-ups to try and reach their 50 in the bottom bracket of their total attendance estimate. For example if the 33rd signed up I would likely put attendance at 40-50, that on it's own not really being sufficient as a sign-up. I would therefore look for a regiment to join our coalition with an attendance of a further 10-15 at least, to put our total attendance estimate at around 50-65 and making arranging matches easier... Hope that makes sense!