Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 77266 times)

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:44 pm »
My board burned out and I reckon it's time to upgrade my CPU as well. Any recommendations that aren't Ryzen?

My other question is what happens with the OS? Does windows need to be rebought if I upgraded my windows 7 to 10 for free?
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2017, 12:55:53 am »
My board burned out and I reckon it's time to upgrade my CPU as well. Any recommendations that aren't Ryzen?

My other question is what happens with the OS? Does windows need to be rebought if I upgraded my windows 7 to 10 for free?
The core series are pretty good (i5 8400 and 8700 to be specific) if Intel is within price range.  Since you aren't looking for Ryzen the AMD options can get limited, but I would go for a TR4($$$$$) or a FX for its relatively cheap price.

I have no clue about the second question, but if I were to guess that unless you previously owned Windows Seven on your Microsoft account you would have to rebuy it.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2017, 01:25:40 am »

No, but it requires you to have undertaken certain steps before you even upgraded. I am not sure if you can still boot your PC to undertake those steps, but I am gonna list them anyway. If you can't get your PC to run anymore to do this prep, then you're fucked.

Firstly, you need to make a bootable installation file for Windows 10. To do so, have Win 10 installed and then download a program called the Windows Media Creation Tool. Run the program and follow the steps to create a Win 10 installation file. Make sure to have a USB flash drive plugged in so the program can place the installation files on the usb drive. It's free, 100% legal and pretty easy to use. Should be plenty of guides on the interwebs too.

Secondly, write down your Windows license key. Now, there is good possibility that Windows automatically assigned you a new key when you upgraded, meaning your retail Win 7 key won't work. There are programs on the internet that can find and identify Windows product keys on your computer for you. Google it as I can't recall what tool I used.

Now, when you have your new PC all set up just boot from the flash drive, install Win 10 and activate your key once its done. Voila.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:34 pm »
Ahh, okay. Thanks for the help, joer and Winters.

Strangely enough, I'm actually leaning towards Ryzen now simply due to it being better at rendering and since I have a 1337 gaming channel with 230 subs. However, it seems as though intel is better on a single core level and that overall, aside from rendering, the intel is better in every way. It's really a shame that intel doesn't have an 8 core model to compete with Ryzen without paying space shuttle prices. Why is everything such a tough choice nowadays
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2017, 09:07:17 pm »
You liked it when Intel had no competition and a decent cpu costed you 1k?

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:33 pm »
You liked it when Intel had no competition and a decent cpu costed you 1k?
It's really a shame that intel doesn't have an 8 core model to compete with Ryzen without paying space shuttle prices.

On another note, it seems like the 8700k is not as good as the 1700X but AMD does tend to optimize their hardware so it's possible the gap could get further. I guess it really just depends if I want gaming performance or if I want to render more and spread out the workload onto more cores.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2017, 06:49:51 am »
If you use your PC for both, get a 8700k.

In terms of Multi core performance 1700x and the 8700k are almost the same, but single core performance the 8700k leads by a wide margin. The 8700k is the leader in single core performance right now and will probably stay so for quite some while. Most of them can also be overclocked to a stable 5 up to 5.3gghz (I saw one with 5.5...) which is insane.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:55:58 am by Olafson »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:47 am »
i9 any opinions
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2017, 03:33:06 pm »
I have a i9, costed a fortune but its good. :P

Though probably i would have been equal happy with a threadripper from amd.

AeroNinja

« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2017, 06:14:19 pm »
I have a friend who wanted also to buy a Laptop because he wanted to play Skyrim and Oblivion. He always played it on PS3 and he also wanted to experience Skyrim with the good mods. He, just like me, doesn't know much about technical stuff about graphics and all that.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good gaming laptop which can max Skyrim in ultra out with its high demanding graphical mods and all that?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the price doesnt matter.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:45:09 pm by NiPhix »

AeroNinja

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2017, 10:15:22 am »
Bump

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2017, 11:35:56 am »
asus?

google? xd
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2017, 11:40:23 am »
"No Budget"

Then what do you need us for, just buy any old beastly laptop with good reviews
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

AeroNinja

« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
Today the day reviews cannot be trusted anymore. Its all commercial and fake. Therefore Im asking it here on these forums.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2017, 03:11:53 pm »
Today the day reviews cannot be trusted anymore. Its all commercial and fake. Therefore Im asking it here on these forums.

1. That's a bit of a generalization.
2. Reviewers often have a lot more experience in this stuff and have more stuff to compare to than most here.
3. There's always such a thing as user reviews, unless you think those are bought as well.

Anyway, the first question I always ask when I see the word 'gaming-laptop' is: do you really need it? Ask your friend that question first. Because unless he is planning on moving around a lot, switching places or he needs a portable workplace when he's not gaming, then there is no reason to get a laptop. PCs do everything a laptop does but better and cheaper. So he does absolutely -need- a laptop or is a PC just fine as well?
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness