Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 77389 times)

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »
Cheapest would involve things which cannot be condoned on this website. Not a particularly safe option though.

Edit: No idea about sound cards tbh, the inbuilt one has always been enough for me

Okay let me re-phrase that: what's the cheapest *legal* way of getting Windows 10?

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2017, 12:51:55 am »
Oh well I have a new build but thanks for your feedback I will look into that shortly. This is my new update. Also included a Sound card.

I might replace EVGA with MSI. As EVGA is not quite known in Belgium. :c

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rFxWpb

I think its a bad streaming build sorry. a 4 core is just not up to the task to both game and stream at the same time. even if you overclock that bitch to 5+ ghz.

if you're set on getting intel consider the newest I9 series with a decent board.. they start at 10 core... for 1000 bucks.. Or the 8 core i7..  which is 600 bucks i believe both on x299 platform.
Still I would recommend instead Ryzen, unless your on a 240 hz refresh monitor, anything below that, then the single core performance of ryzen doesn't really matter because it will be able to push frames, as long as you combine it with 3200mhz memory.

About SLI, I would def say don't invest into a SLI build its a waste of money mostly, many games cannot cope with 2 cards properly, you will get stutters and frame drops in the best case, buuut actually one card sitting idle in most cases, because of no SLI support in the games. That includes our upcoming game actually, no SLI support and no chance it will happen in the engine any time soon.

That SSD is a bad option, go for a 960 evo or 960 pro from samsung, if your budget allows, it is like 3 times as fast as a S-ata SDD, these are straight plugged into your motherboard on the PCI-E bus.

If you need more advice just ask.

About win 10, don't get the home version, just get a legal windows 10 pro key from  kinguin I get all my win 10 keys there, def legal def valid and legit. www.kinguin.net

AeroNinja

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:32 am »
I'm not gonna stream just record YouTube videos. And I have seen you can turn SLI on and off in the nvidia panel for certain games. I'm also going to get a 165hz monitor from Asus

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2017, 12:11:07 pm »
Exactly!.

Recording for youtube, you could do that with NVCapture, but the quality is very inferior compared to recording through OBS with X264 encoding. but to do that you def need more than 4 cores.

Also more and more games use more than 4 cores, like the latest mafia game.. more cores means being more set up for the future.

At this bumpy time with all these new high core count CPU releases it would be a waste not to jump on the train.. especially if you want to keep the pc for 2 years or longer.

About SLI, yeah you can ofc disable it, but why spend 800 euro on a card you hardly use except in 2 games, and those games stutter with many frame drops, but give you an artificial 200 AVERAGE fps. whilst some of those FPS can be as low as 10. due to syncing of data between cards.

About the 165 hz, nice!  I guess your best bet is going for those Intel high core counts. they have high single core + much more threads available.

AeroNinja

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2017, 01:13:14 pm »
Ah thanks for the explanation, do you recommend any intels from the i7-i9 Versions??

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:43 pm »
I would recommend if your budget allows to go for the Intel Core i9-7900X 10 core..  it has enough PCI-e Lanes for SLI if you want.. (44 lanes)
If you are dropping SLI from your build you could go for the lower SKU; Intel Core i7-7820X. It has only 28 PCI-e lanes, so not enough for a SLI build but def enough for 1 card + a PCIe SSD.

Actually, speaking about PCI-e lanes.. a 7700K only has 16 lanes, so that's enough for.. 1 graphics card.. lol.. and not even an SSD.
A Ryzen entry level even has 24 PCI-E lanes.. damn.. intel cutting corners here. Hell a Threadripper from AMD has 64 lanes.. xD
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:33:34 pm by Vincenzo »

AeroNinja

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »
If I take the i9 should I also change the motherboard? If so is there any you recommend? Value doesn't really matter in price.

And which ssd should I pick?

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »
Yes, ofc!, for a I9 you need a x299 motherboard. those 7700k motherboards have a difirent chipset and socket.

Which one exactly.. hard to say.. I haven't checked the reviews too much yet. but any of the main brands should be ok. as long as... the cooling is correct.

Very Important with x299 platform to check if the motherboard has a big heatsink on the mosfets with a extra heatpipe to the next cool block because those parts will get hot...

Motherboards that jump out for me:
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 9
Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7

I think the ASus will release in a few weeks. thats the one i'm getting probably.. or those aorus.. their also talking to me, I'm getting a quite similar system as you actually.

For SSD, easy.

Go for Samsung 960 Pro if your budget allows it. if not, go for Samsung 960 Evo.

AeroNinja

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »
Oh that's quite nice. I'm gonna make a new update on pcpartpicker on all the new details I have received from you. If I post it here today or tomorrow could you review it again?

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »
Geen probleem.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 06:19:55 pm »
Thanks for the link-saw Kinguin but looked a bit suspicious. Slightly more expensive here but the buyer protection comes with it rather than an optional add-on that Kinguin charges for: https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

I have another question: I bought an Intel i5 7500 but I'm not sure whether I need to get a fan or if I can get away with the one it comes with? Most demanding thing I'll be using it for is gaming and I got a GTX 1080 for it (kinda annoying, I wanted to get a 1070 but the prices have increased considerably in the last few months).

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2017, 06:34:03 pm »
Thanks for the link-saw Kinguin but looked a bit suspicious. Slightly more expensive here but the buyer protection comes with it rather than an optional add-on that Kinguin charges for: https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/product-category/windows-10/

I have another question: I bought an Intel i5 7500 but I'm not sure whether I need to get a fan or if I can get away with the one it comes with? Most demanding thing I'll be using it for is gaming and I got a GTX 1080 for it (kinda annoying, I wanted to get a 1070 but the prices have increased considerably in the last few months).
Bitcoin mining, its become a bitch for the market.

As long as you are not overclocking then you will be fine. Always a nice touch to buy a $40 if you have the cash laying around though. To increase longevity of the CPU.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2017, 10:32:57 am »

Nah, that cpu is medium speed, not overclocked probably, it doesn't hurt to keep the default cooler at all. i mean if you get a K series SKU and overclock it, then def you need a better cooling.
Cpu's don't die from heat as they used to.. no problems. waste of money.

Instead pocket the money for your next build. cause i feel that CPU won't last you long in terms of performance in upcoming games.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:36:06 am by Vincenzo »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Thanks, was gonna spend a bit more on the CPU but my wife won't let me lol

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »
Thanks, was gonna spend a bit more on the CPU but my wife won't let me lol
get a new wife.