Author Topic: Favorite Aircraft Thread  (Read 15218 times)

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Favorite Aircraft Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2015, 12:29:25 am »
But the b-17 was better in every way. :3
Bouncing bomb, nough said :P

When you have to fly your plane at night because the slightest whiff of flack makes it blow up, it's not a good plane

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2015, 12:38:59 am »

When you have to fly your plane at night because the slightest whiff of flack makes it blow up, it's not a good plane

This. The b-17 was sturdy as fuck and could actually fend for itself, and for that alone it rises several tiers higher than the lancaster.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2015, 01:51:15 am »

This. The b-17 was sturdy as fuck and could actually fend for itself, and for that alone it rises several tiers higher than the lancaster.

Don't forget, the B17 added armor and extta machine guns at the expense of a substantially smaller payload. So you're sacrificing bombing capability (the whole point of the plane) in exchange for the ability to somewhat "fight" off enemy fighters (something bombers shouldnt be doing by themselves in the first place and even with armor and more guns stood a minute chance of success). Perhaps the British/commonwealth were wise to use strategy instead of extra armor and guns to protect bombers (read: night bombing)

Point is its impossible to really compare them as one was designed for night and stealthier missions and the other for brazen daytime bombing.
Why am I still here

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2015, 02:06:44 am »
Don't forget, the B17 added armor and extta machine guns at the expense of a substantially smaller payload. So you're sacrificing bombing capability (the whole point of the plane) in exchange for the ability to somewhat "fight" off enemy fighters (something bombers shouldnt be doing by themselves in the first place and even with armor and more guns stood a minute chance of success). Perhaps the British/commonwealth were wise to use strategy instead of extra armor and guns to protect bombers (read: night bombing)

Point is its impossible to really compare them as one was designed for night and stealthier missions and the other for brazen daytime bombing.

I think sure different variants had different payloads. I'm pretty sure that even with the reduced payload it had a similar payload to the Lancaster.
Even without the added guns and armor it had a sturdier frame.

About bombing at night.
It reminds me about the air war in Korea.

Soviets had denied airspace to the U.S. Their bombers would get wrecked in the sky. Hence they had to bomb at night to take advantage of the mig-15's poor night vision technology.

This makes you limited and predictable. The DPRK-Chinese forces would advance during the day. Also night bombing is less accurate and
It's a great way of missing a tank factory and killing civilians.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:36:53 am by MarshalKim »
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Charles MackMoose

• First Sergeant
  • Moose Kidd0
    • View Profile
  • Nick: KingMoose
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure different variants had different payloads. I'm pretty sure that even with the reduced payload it had a similar payload the Lancaster.
Even without the added guns and armor it had a sturdier frame.

About bombing at night.
It reminds me about the air war in Korea.

Soviets had denied airspace to the U.S. Their bombers would get wrecked in the sky. Hence they had to bomb at night to take advantage of the mig-15's poor night vision technology.

This makes you limited and predictable. The DPRK-Chinese forces would advance during the day. Also night bombing is less accurate and
It's a great way of missing a tank factory and killing civilians.
I don't think cares about civilians anymore

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2015, 08:07:01 pm »
My favourite Aircraft must be the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird...  :D It's frikin badass.

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »
Gotta love them biplanes.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:59 pm »
This is my favorite
Spoiler
[close]
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:40 pm »
I like Russian planes.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2015, 11:02:46 pm »
Why am I still here

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:41 am »
This is my favorite
Spoiler
[close]
I tried not to laugh... I just couldn't resist...  ;D