Author Topic: Mr. Kochi's Skin Warehouse -47th Regiment Early War Skin Released! Page 25  (Read 132307 times)

Offline Paul

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Ok sorry  :P But thanks. I just really wish there was something like that. A big data base of peninsula war uniforms.... :D

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
For British uniforms for each regiment and how they changed through the era, there's CE Franklin's work rather simply titled 'British Napoleonic Uniforms' (which I believe Kochi uses as a source, kindly provided by James Grant) but that of course, is only British. So you won't find any French, Portugese or Spanish troops in there. There aren't even any of the foreign regiments that fought alongside the British army
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Rowaan

• Second Lieutenant
  • A volcano of unreliable information
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rowaan
  • Side: Union
And regarding the flag... Well, my good lad, there is something called "paint.net". The flags are just pasted and edited in there  ;D

Well I feel special (in the retarded sense of the word) , but quite well done, you got me! ;D

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Installed your 29th reskin, bloody brilliant!

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
For British uniforms for each regiment and how they changed through the era, there's CE Franklin's work rather simply titled 'British Napoleonic Uniforms' (which I believe Kochi uses as a source, kindly provided by James Grant) but that of course, is only British. So you won't find any French, Portugese or Spanish troops in there. There aren't even any of the foreign regiments that fought alongside the British army

It's also far from a flawless source.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight

Where do you get them from then docm?
The first modder for NW.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

Where do you get them from then docm?

Well I'd say that if CE Franklins work has any flaw it's that it has too much and has the uniform information of each regiment on one page with some regiments getting just about everything shown whilst others seem to be supplemented by 1793 plates when other resources seem to dwindle. It's an excellent book but in my opinion suffers from the shear amount it has.

But I'm sure Docm has much more scything reasons.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:13:30 am by James Grant »

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
Well, my sources come from many different places, not just CE Franklin's book. Mont St. Jean aside, Williams/Guardsman Masters/Wellington/etc. has been helping me getting pictures and other resources from his reenactor buddies.

I also check reenacting websites, ask other friends who know about this (like Simon Moore) and use simple common sense.

And the simple "image democracy". If 7-8 out of 10 pics shows XXth regiment wearing white linen pants, while the others show the lads in blue-gray/gray wool trousers (of course, set in the same war theatre/campaign/time period), I'll give that skin white pants.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
"Image democracy" may not always be the best policy. For example, 99% of modern images will show the post-1812 95th rifles in the 1806 shako, which is unquestionably wrong.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
"Image democracy" may not always be the best policy. For example, 99% of modern images will show the post-1812 95th rifles in the 1806 shako, which is unquestionably wrong.

That's when Williams comes in. Most of the times he sends me the pictures.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
I think the most reasonable thing to do is to look at multiple sources and then draw your own conclusion of how they looked, when uniform changes came around, did they follow the instructions to change their uniforms. Furthermore, make it look nice is probably the most important thing since the vast majority of people won't know when or even if a certain uniform changed buttons or breeches but they will notice if the skin isn't looking good.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
I think the most reasonable thing to do is to look at multiple sources and then draw your own conclusion of how they looked, when uniform changes came around, did they follow the instructions to change their uniforms. Furthermore, make it look nice is probably the most important thing since the vast majority of people won't know when or even if a certain uniform changed buttons or breeches but they will notice if the skin isn't looking good.
LOL HAHAHA!
Tried doing that the first time and I got haunted by duuring.
The first modder for NW.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Koach, please try merge some of your skins together ;) 43rd,79th,29th,28th etc.

Would be nice.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
That would actually be quite nice. However, I would kinda need to know what regiment fits it's role the best.

43rd will go LI, no argument there, neither with my 79th WIP skin, but the others kinda fight over the same two spots. 29th, 82nd, 47th and 28th all compete to replace 33rd and Coldstream.

I would love to make a Peninsular War pack for the British, but for that, I need the 28th's 1809 shako plates, reskin all 47th and 82nd officers (plus KGL, fitting the time period), mess around with the units' pants models in the .Brfs and lots of 'fun' problems I simply don't have the time to deal with right now.

However, once I'm finally done with finals and university stress, I promise you all a neat skin pack, featuring some neat looking regiments, with their fancy colours and spiffing officers.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
Well. We (Kochi's Skin Warehouse and Beta's Shack) can always work together to finish a pack. I mean.... it's a huge job. So why not work together? Benefits us both! :)
The first modder for NW.