Author Topic: Repairable Ships + Boarding Ships  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
Repairable Ships + Boarding Ships
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:26 am »
Hello,

These are just 2 ideas I saw on the Developers Blog 18 and thought I'd put it here and see if peoples opinions and if they have any ideas to add to these suggestions :)

First of; Repairable Ships:
It would be very useful if you are able to repair ships if you are a sapper class as sappers (at the moment) in naval battles are useless except from providing Betty her TNT to sink ships ::) . Maybe make ships destructible from musket shots? And maybe make the health see able if you are a sapper.

Second; Boarding Ships:
At the moment there is very little chance of a successful boarding a big ship for you have only one means of getting to it which is the leap of faith from your ship to theirs which at the point where you jump the admiral may move it so you under jump or you slip and fall to your watery but quick death. Maybe implement drop able ladders that will fall onto the other boat when riding side to it or making ropes that can be thrown to attach to the other boat and walked across.

Offline Jaginun

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jaginun
Re: Repairable Ships + Boarding Ships
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:47 am »
Repairable ships: Sounds good, add in a naval map with proper spawn points for TDM and you've got yourself an ongoing naval battle, with the rowing boats going back and forth to get players onboard etc.

Boarding Ships: I think droppable ladders might be a bit too complicated, but the idea that Persistent World/frontier/empire has about the 'up arrow to hop on board' works well, and requires very little work on the developers part.

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:15:56 am »
I like this idea, but I just wish cannons could be on moving ships. It would be cool to see cannons firing and damaging the ship slowly to the point where it sinks, and there are explosions, fires and crap like that. Unfortunately, game engine or something along those lines people begin to blame it on not being able to be added. But yeah, if we can't have cannons, at least let muskets do damage.

I personally don't understand how a few cannons can't be added to the schooners, but im no programmer (yet) so i can't say for sure whether it can or can't be done.

As for boarding, I agree, maybe we should have ropes that we can shoot to attach to other ships, if you hit the ship with a few ropes ou can start pulling it in.

Offline Paul

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:01 am »
We've got to face it that its never going to happen in warband. Maybe it will be possible in M&B 2 but if you are looking for a game mad specifically for naval battles, check out these two games
http://www.redthorn-studios.com/category/admiralty-napoleon/
http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak

Nothing has really been seen from Admiralty but it sounds like it will be NW with ships so 200 players and manning cannons individually...
Hearts of oak is more of where you play as the captain and just control your ship, I at least hope you can explore your ship, but it looks pretty good. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:07:32 pm by Paul »

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:18:00 pm »
We've got to face it that its never going to happen in warband.

Not trying to sound ignorant, but why? I'm sure there is a valid reason.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:57 am »
Nothing has really been seen from Admiralty but it sounds like it will be NW with ships so 200 players and manning cannons individually...
Hearts of oak is more of where you play as the captain and just control your ship, I at least hope you can explore your ship, but it looks pretty good. :)

That has got to be nonsense. Olafson and Vincenzo both have explained why it isn't possible.

Basically, it came down to cannons excisting of too many parts, to be able to move smoothly on a ship, due to collision meshes.

It is just too many to go around.

And, basically: The engine does not allow us to implement anything we want for ships. It makes the server lag WAY too much.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline WhiteEagle

• Sergeant
  • Forward march!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9th_Life_Oberst*_WhiteEagle
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:51:21 pm »
Yeah, they really should have made boarding more intuitive. At this point, its literally just jumping across the railing and hoping the other ship is close enough.
Better not shoot for the officers...

Try my NEW Team Balancer Program for Event Organizers: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6278.0

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 02:44:05 am »
Yeah, they really should have made boarding more intuitive. At this point, its literally just jumping across the railing and hoping the other ship is close enough.

I agree with WhiteEagle. Maybe there should be ramps/siege ladders that can be raised, so we can use those to jump a little easier.

Also, if possible, it would be cool to have grapples that ships can shoot at each other and pull each other in. To remove the grapples, the player must shoot them to disconnect them from their ships.

Offline WhiteEagle

• Sergeant
  • Forward march!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:15:49 pm »

I agree with WhiteEagle. Maybe there should be ramps/siege ladders that can be raised, so we can use those to jump a little easier.

Also, if possible, it would be cool to have grapples that ships can shoot at each other and pull each other in. To remove the grapples, the player must shoot them to disconnect them from their ships.

I think that's a bit too advanced for the Warband engine.

Try my NEW Team Balancer Program for Event Organizers: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=6278.0

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »

The last part or all of it? I started dreaming halfway through.

Offline WhiteEagle

• Sergeant
  • Forward march!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:32:36 am »

The last part or all of it? I started dreaming halfway through.

Haha, that last part mate. Too bad your dreams can't be reality..

Offline Artaxias

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:26 pm »
Yeah, well, oh well I guess