Author Topic: Bugs thread  (Read 3903 times)

Offline MazZ

• Second Lieutenant
  • MazZ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stCSG_RSM_MazZ
  • Side: Neutral
Bugs thread
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:35:26 pm »
Hey, been playing this game for quite a while now and there are still a few bugs that I would like to see fixed.

I'll try to categorize them a bit. If other people have bugs I would advice doing the same.

Siege battle
--> Technical <--
- At massive siege battle events, some players cannot respawn and have to go to spectator and back to fix this.
- The flag sometimes gets captured even though there more defenders than offenders in its region.
- At massive siege battle events, the lives left counter does not work at all which makes it unclear how many lives you actually have.
- Players sometimes spawn at wrong locations (probably fault of mapmakers).
- A door in a castle sometimes works the otherway arround, when it is visually closed it is actually open and vice versa.

--> Performance <--
- Massive siege battles allways have lag.
- Cause low FPS, even on pretty decent computers (probably more engine related then something else, but still...)
- Sometimes destroying a wall, causes huge lagspikes.

Conquest
--> Technical <--
- The tickets timer can sometimes go below zero.
Go to 42:15 in this youtube video and look closely at the tickets timer of France:

--> Performance <--
- Even though conquest has less performance and connection issues, it still isn't optimal.

Graphical
- Sometimes models don't load properly which can lead to rather funny screenshots :p
Spoiler
[close]

Well these are the first few bugs i could think of, will update the list if I find some more.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:33:54 am by MazZ »

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
Re: Bugs thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »
There is an entire board for technical issues already.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:59 pm »
And besides, these are issues with the server, not the game if I am not mistaken.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »
And besides, these are issues with the server, not the game if I am not mistaken.

Bugs are not the same as technical issues, and they are problems with the game.

Offline MazZ

• Second Lieutenant
  • MazZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »

Read this:

Nope, not all of them ...
And please don't double post, use modify button instead ...
Bugs are not the same as technical issues, and they are problems with the game.

This: Agreed
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:09:35 pm by MazZ »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »
I might also add that a technical issue implies that there's an issue with your computer or your settings and there's something you can do to fix it yourself. A bug is an error neglected by the developers and only they can fix it.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:19:17 pm »
I might also add that a technical issue implies that there's an issue with your computer or your settings and there's something you can do to fix it yourself. A bug is an error neglected by the developers and only they can fix it.

Or, y'know, the community. That's what makes modding so valuable.

Any performance issues are the price you pay for 200-man events. The game is already pretty much as optimised as it can be, though it's worth noting that using texture packs and suchlike can decrease performance if they're not well-formulated.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:08:50 pm »

Or, y'know, the community. That's what makes modding so valuable.

Any performance issues are the price you pay for 200-man events. The game is already pretty much as optimised as it can be, though it's worth noting that using texture packs and suchlike can decrease performance if they're not well-formulated.

It's not the community's responsibility to fix a game that they paid for, or at least it shouldn't be.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »
They paid for the game in the state it was in when they bought it - I'm not saying some bugs won't be fixed in the next patch, but AFAIK there won't be any patches after that point. All I'm suggesting is that the community take a similar route to the Total War and Elder Scrolls communities, and attempt to fix some of the issues themselves - There's no majorly game-breaking bugs left in NW after all, and many of the issues only arise when you push the game to its very limit at 200-odd players, meaning that it's a hardware issue rather than a fixable scripting issue anyway.

Edit:

Spoiler
Siege battle
--> Technical <--
- At massive siege battle events, some players cannot respawn and have to go to spectator and back to fix this. - Hardware issue
- The flag sometimes gets captured even though there more defenders than offenders in its region. - I've never seen this. It may be that the defenders are too far from the flag.
- At massive siege battle events, the lives left counter does not work at all which makes it unclear how many lives you actually have. - AFAIK this works fine on a smaller scale, indicating a hardware issue
- Players sometimes spawn at wrong locations (probably fault of mapmakers). - Mapping issue
- A door in a castle sometimes works the otherway arround, when it is visually closed it is actually open and vice versa. - Mapping issue

--> Performance <--
- Massive siege battles allways have lag. - Hardware issue (Game is already optimised as much as it can be)
- Cause low FPS, even on pretty decent computers (probably more engine related then something else, but still...) - Hardware issue (Game is already optimised as much as it can be)
- Sometimes destroying a wall, causes huge lagspikes. - I don't experience this particularly, unless you're talking about when you're standing on the wall as it's destroyed, in which case it's an engine & hardware issue

Conquest
--> Technical <--
- The tickets timer can sometimes go below zero.
Got to 42:15 in this youtube video and look closely at the tickets timer of France: - Hardware issue, the result of the server lagging.

--> Performance <--
- Even though conquest has less performance and connection issues, it still isn't optimal. - Hardware issue (Game is already optimised as much as it can be)

Graphical
- Sometimes models don't load properly which can lead to rather funny screenshots :p
Spoiler
[close]
- Engine issue

Well these are the first few bugs i could think of, will update the list if I find some more.
[close]

Looking through that, I'm not sure exactly what you expect FSE to do about the issues raised. You've got to bear in mind that many of these issues raised are the result of pushing the server and client to the absolute limit, in an engine that really isn't very well optimised in terms of programming and graphical flexibility. Aspects like Object Culling (not rendering objects outside the client's visible range, behind other objects etc...) cannot be found in Warband, which means that having 200-odd players each of them sitting at around 10K polygons with all kit, plus scene props,landscaping and flora/fauna is going to lag a client pretty horrifically (not to mention Warband's notoriously bad handling of Polygons in the first place). If you push something like this to the limit you can expect to find issues.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:42:31 pm by Blobmania »
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline MazZ

• Second Lieutenant
  • MazZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:15 am »
Looking through that, I'm not sure exactly what you expect FSE to do about the issues raised. You've got to bear in mind that many of these issues raised are the result of pushing the server and client to the absolute limit, in an engine that really isn't very well optimised in terms of programming and graphical flexibility. Aspects like Object Culling (not rendering objects outside the client's visible range, behind other objects etc...) cannot be found in Warband, which means that having 200-odd players each of them sitting at around 10K polygons with all kit, plus scene props,landscaping and flora/fauna is going to lag a client pretty horrifically (not to mention Warband's notoriously bad handling of Polygons in the first place). If you push something like this to the limit you can expect to find issues.

I agree that most of the performance issues that I summarized are probably engine related, but the "not respawning" or the "broken lives counter" in siege battles are still pretty weird though.
Then again, who am I to say what is fixable or not ...  :-\

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:06 am »

I agree that most of the performance issues that I summarized are probably engine related, but the "not respawning" or the "broken lives counter" in siege battles are still pretty weird though.
Then again, who am I to say what is fixable or not ...  :-\

From what I gathered from your post, these issues are most common with large numbers of players on the server?

My guess is (if that is the case) that these issues are caused by lag when the server is put under heavy stress, i.e. when you're got over 100 people playing at one time. AFAIK the lives counter was fixed a couple of patches ago, and I've not personally had the respawning issue myself (though I don't play so much nowadays, so may just be missing it).
Spoiler
[close]

Offline MazZ

• Second Lieutenant
  • MazZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:46 am »
From what I gathered from your post, these issues are most common with large numbers of players on the server?

Jup, both lives and no spawn happen all the time at 77y siege event (which contains a large number of players indeed), poor Malakith has to repeat the sentence "Switch to spectator and back to respawn" every event :p