Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525381 times)

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #4905 on: February 16, 2019, 06:36:50 pm »
Fair cop, got it wrong on executive orders. I thought they were the sum total of executive action rather than simply one category (there's also presidential memorandums, agency guidance, executive agreements, etc). Obama used those executive powers far more extensively than any other modern US President, which is understandable because he had a big legislative program and a Republican Senate/HoR that opposed him, but was also probably against the spirit of the Constitution.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4906 on: February 16, 2019, 09:57:24 pm »
Why can't the U.S just switch to the Westminster System which gives all the power to the executive?

Politicians abusing constitutional obscurities ain't dictatorship, its part of the system so things can actually get done. Given the system through which bills are introduced and passed in the U.S its a wonder they've ever passed anything since its creation.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4907 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:48 pm »
The Federal legislature was never meant to do most of the legwork. Gridlock is a built-in feature, to ensure that the the interests of one bloc of the country can't always domineer over those of another. The problems we experience now in regards to it are a result of the consolidation of power in the federal body, where it was never meant to. It also doesn't help that the United States has parts of the country that are inherently and radically divergent from one another; there's no singular national identity.

Sets an interesting precedent for future Democratic presidents.
I feel like using it to be able to appropriate funds for a project on the border is in a different league than presumably pushing de-facto legislation upon the whole of the interior. Nevertheless, given the insanity that ilk have adopted it wouldn't surprise me. They're welcome to; it would be the final nail in the coffin of this accursed union.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: February 17, 2019, 12:19:46 pm »
it would be the final nail in the coffin of this accursed union.

If ever.

Offline HaroldW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: February 17, 2019, 07:07:18 pm »
it would be the final nail in the coffin of this accursed union.

Inshallah brother, it shall be so.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4910 on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:46 am »
Let's hope the Supreme Court stops it, lest we see the American Dream itself shatter, launching us into an interesting era with more than enough job oppertunities for a person as myself.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: February 18, 2019, 10:23:34 am »
The question is, do you really want to spend your whole career patrolling the demilitarized zone between the Federal Army and the Free American Forces somewhere in rural Pennsylvania?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: February 18, 2019, 12:42:41 pm »
No I want to get PTSD after doing 8 combat tours in Alabama that all were supposed to be nation rebuilding missions and seeing all my hard work and the loss of my comrades going down the shithole because Europe wasn't willing to commit to an extensive counterinsurgency campaign.

All the while my dreams are being haunted by rednecks jumpig from every possible place with sawed-off shotguns yelling 'howdy boys, should've built that wall'.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: February 18, 2019, 12:45:04 pm »
An American insurgency would probably look a lot like the French Resistance of the 2nd world war, in the sense that they'll be mostly fighting eachother over ideological differences.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: February 18, 2019, 12:45:31 pm »
That's pretty much Iraq and Afghanistan in a nutshell mate

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: February 18, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »
Those are mostly secterian (Iraq especially) and ethnical or tribal (Afghanistan). Religion could play a role in an American civil war/insurgency, but it's far more likely to be fought over ideological lines.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: February 18, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »
Does it practically make a difference?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: February 18, 2019, 05:52:21 pm »
Extremely so for anyone involved in the conflict or trying to solve it. They don't teach you this?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: February 18, 2019, 05:55:55 pm »
yes of course it means that motivations change and the political/strategic challenges would change, but for the lonesome force protection PAX or platoon commander the challenges on the ground won't change dramatically. People will still want their basic needs fulfilled and not by dying of violence. The political game will change colour but in the grand scheme of things, shit won't be THAT different. The complexities may differ but people will still try to kill eachother, you and some other people.

EDIT: yes they do teach us that, but from an international security perspectiv: everyone wants security, food, shelter.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4919 on: February 18, 2019, 06:07:05 pm »
Let's hope the Supreme Court stops it, lest we see the American Dream itself shatter, launching us into an interesting era with more than enough job oppertunities for a person as myself.
Shatter? It was never real to begin with.