Author Topic: Cost  (Read 7581 times)

Offline ChaBoy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #ChaBoyisGOAT2015
  • Side: Union
Cost
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:26 am »
I would love to get into Civil war reenacting but how much does it actually cost for a full infantry uni?
I am the GOAT

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Cost
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:30:03 am »
depends on what you want to portray.. and where you live there may be restrictions on what you can and cant do.

a full infantryman's kit (without musket) would be ranging from about 400 to 850 roughly, then you will want to upgrade your kit where possible, eg new trousers, you can buy really good ACW trousers for about 180-250.

with a musket, it depends, a  pedersoli 3 band rifled enfield that can fire blanks is going to cost up to 2 grand.. but there are much cheaper options, they just arent as good.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:42:37 am »
Buying stuff first and then 'upgrading' it is a waste of money.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:54 am »
depends on what you want to portray.. and where you live there may be restrictions on what you can and cant do.

a full infantryman's kit (without musket) would be ranging from about 400 to 850 roughly, then you will want to upgrade your kit where possible, eg new trousers, you can buy really good ACW trousers for about 180-250.

with a musket, it depends, a  pedersoli 3 band rifled enfield that can fire blanks is going to cost up to 2 grand.. but there are much cheaper options, they just arent as good.

You're wrong about the rifle. Pedersoli AND Armisport are good, its the paki-india stuff that is crap however none of sutlers carry it anymore. Its all about pedersoli, armisport or Dixie Arms. My armisport '61 Springfield is excellent, majority of my unit use them,  they go for 600 to 1k. Mostly 800. I got mine for 600 with original bayonet as well. and upgrading cheap gear that you got in one week is a huge mistake, a fianical mistake. You will save alot of money by going straight to quality items. Alot.

ChaBoy, where are you based at?

If you are in US, Check these sutlers out and get the general idea of pricing.

http://www.wwandcompany.com/ (Best Uniform imo)

https://www.njsekela.com/  (little bit of everything)

https://www.regtqm.com/ (Good stuff, check out campaigner section. Stay away from uniform though, you can waste your money on better uniform)

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/  Great forum for starters, especially who want to do it right. It has great section for used quality items, check from time to time, strike yourself some great deal. My best deal was getting Wambaugh State Jacket for price of 175 instead of 225.   Their articles and discussion are the tits!

Also, they have a wonderful sutler list to help you out as well.

Now if you're in Europe

http://www.lederarsenal.com/  Probably the best you can get in Europe beside America.

I wish you luck with your interest and hope you will be on the right path. My first advice to you is "Buy yourself a nice canteen, you will not regret it". Sound lame but it is definately the first thing you wanna buy.    ;)   

Feel free to PM me with questions.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:08:32 am by DeoVindice61 »

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:41 am »
Just costs a few firstborn children, a soul works too.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:08 am »
Yeah, you really don't want to be borrowing someone's ratty old canteen, get one ASAP! A lot of units let you borrow kit so you can buy everything bit by bit and spread your costs over time. UK it's cost me about £200-300 for the bare essentials minus rifle, but I did the whole sew your own thing which made it considerably cheaper.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:05 am »
Oh yeah i forgot about "sew it yourself" which is definately cheaper. There's kit that goes around for $50 - $80.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:50 am »
By co-incidence I just made a list of high-quality ACW items for a Federal (west) impression, and it's 1500 euro for me, or 2000 dollar. That includes leather, shoes, gum blanket, canteen and blanket to make a blanket roll. Excluding gun, that all depends on where you get it from.

You're wrong about the rifle. Pedersoli AND Armisport are good, its the paki-india stuff that is crap however none of sutlers carry it anymore

The paki-india stuff is not as terrible as people say. I've seen several going passed and I fail to see how they were crap.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:44 am »
Reenacting is not cheap by default, but that does not mean that you can't do it when your poor.

Most groups loan you equipment and give you years to get your kit together.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:02:38 pm »
But remember;

Never never never never NEVER buy something cheap you are planning on replacing with an more accurate, and expensive, version later on. NEVER do that. Better to save a bit longer and buy the accurate stuff right away. I've seen so many people planning to do this yet sticking with their old inaccurate items because don't want to spend money on things they already have, even if they originally planned to do so.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »
buyt the good stuff first and overall it will cost lest.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:45:00 pm »

Exactly.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »

Exactly.

Many have fallen into the pit of the "mainstream" and been unable to escape
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

Duuring, those paki-india brown bess or charville, may be good. But over here with springfield/enfield. There are quite amount of report of barrel explosive. Many unit do not recommend it for safety sake. Save up little more then get yourself a reliable rifle.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:26 pm »
I'm actually considering an Indian/Pakistani made helmet.

30 Euroes for 14 gauge steel, which should hopefully keep my skull in-tact.

Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS