Author Topic: What's your next buy?  (Read 106538 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What's your next buy?
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2014, 04:57:35 pm »
But...Rifle units did get the Belgic shakos...
according to my sources not until after waterloo

http://www.95th-rifles.co.uk/equipment/regimental-cap/

What you are referring to is the Bell Top shako. Technically the 95th never got the Belgian, they just, according to these reports, made their own design in 1811 that looked a lot like it.

But all that is close is an almost inactive Freikorps group and dozens of KGL line and light infantry. Stupid KGL.

Never join the Freikorps. Never ever. KGL is good. Why not KGL?

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2014, 05:00:29 pm »
But...Rifle units did get the Belgic shakos...
according to my sources not until after waterloo

http://www.95th-rifles.co.uk/equipment/regimental-cap/

What you are referring to is the Bell Top shako. Technically the 95th never got the Belgian, they just, according to these reports, made their own design in 1811 that looked a lot like it.

But all that is close is an almost inactive Freikorps group and dozens of KGL line and light infantry. Stupid KGL.

Never join the Freikorps. Never ever. KGL is good. Why not KGL?

Take everything the 2/95th say with a pinch of salt. Their "research" methods are sketchy to say the least. Our unit did some probing into those pics and most are post 1815
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
KGL is not the worst choice, but there are so many KGL around here. I would like to do something french or Prussian. Ah well.

I guess KGL is rather easy to get equipment too, it is not the worst choice after all, just not my first one.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »
Those pics are from the occupation period in France. They show the soldiers in the exact uniform they wore at the time and there's no reports of the issuing of uniform parts during that period. Furthermore, they have the reports clearly talking about the new style of cap. That new shako didn't drop out of the sky.

Using official army reports and contemporary pictures is not the way to do research? How did you guys find out the Belgic wasn't worn? Where's your proof?

KGL is not the worst choice, but there are so many KGL around here. I would like to do something french or Prussian. Ah well.

I guess KGL is rather easy to get equipment too, it is not the worst choice after all, just not my first one.

Group wise, the 5th KGL/2nd Light (are they the same group or two different ones?) seem to be great. Uniform is nice (Though I think they use trotter packs, which is badbadbad). There are French and Prussian groups... Just not really sure where you'd find those  :P

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #769 on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »
127e is german..

I dont know there are many german groups but most dont have a website or are tied to a big organisation that lists them, so finding them is hard..

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 09, 2014, 05:25:53 pm »
Gotta loooooove umbrella organizations.

Offline Mortem

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [10th] Mortem
« Reply #771 on: April 09, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »
Stupid KGL.
:'(
Group wise, the 5th KGL/2nd Light (are they the same group or two different ones?)
The 5th and the 2nd are both independend, but we´re doing a lot of things together (like drill weekends) :)
For our uniform (im in the 2nd KGL) we have a very good tailor in Zeven and for the rest you can ask our quartermaster where you can get the other things.

And Olafson™ you`re welcome to visit our easter fire so you could get some impressions about us :P

WiWaWølff: unehrenhaft im nahkampf durch ein bajonett gestorben und nicht absolut ehren- und heldenhaft weit weg des Kampfes auf einem artilleriegaul von einer kanonenkugle zerfezt...moment

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 09, 2014, 05:57:33 pm »
Yes. I talked to one of your Surgeons in Gettysburg.

The KGL is nice, and it is probably what I will go to if I am going to choose a German group.
There are alot of groups in Germany, but most of them are to far away from me.

Stupid KGL.
Group wise, the 5th KGL/2nd Light (are they the same group or two different ones?)
The 5th and the 2nd are both independend, but we´re doing a lot of things together (like drill weekends) :)
For our uniform (im in the 2nd KGL) we have a very good tailor in Zeven and for the rest you can ask our quartermaster where you can get the other things.

And Olafson™ you`re welcome to visit our easter fire so you could get some impressions about us :P

Don't take the "stupid KGL" serious :P I call everything stupid and retarded. The KGL is awesome.

I think the 5th and 2nd are both part of this: http://www.napoleonische-gesellschaft.de/ right?

When is the fire again? I saw it on your event list some while ago, but now I can not find it.. :P
I am in France/Brittany the next 2 weeks, so most likely I wont have any time. Visiting forts and stuff. Again. :P

The 2nd and 5th KGL are both based around Osnabrück, I think which makes it rather easy to get there as well. Just the "Schleppenburg " is not that easy to access using Public transport.
I can easily get to Osnabrück though. 

Vince should join you, he is only 10 minutes drive away.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:02:10 pm by Olafson™ »

Offline Vorposten

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-channel
« Reply #773 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:45 pm »
I wish there was a Prussian Footguard Group close to me. :( Their Tampons look awesome.
You know they only worn it at parades, don't you?
And there are 3 footguard groups in germany. But a lot of Prussian Reenactors are located in the east.

127e is german..

I dont know there are many german groups but most dont have a website or are tied to a big organisation that lists them, so finding them is hard..

There are still some groups missing, but a lot of the links listed above have most big groups.
Gezeichnet,
69thNY_CSgt_Outpost | [DL]III_KBR_Sap_Vorposten | 3tesWaldeck_Fhr_Vorposten

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 09, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »
I wish there was a Prussian Footguard Group close to me. :( Their Tampons look awesome.
You know they only worn it at parades, don't you?
And there are 3 footguard groups in germany. But a lot of Prussian Reenactors are located in the east.

127e is german..

There are still some groups missing, but a lot of the links listed above have most big groups.

Yeah seen most of that stuff, but thanks anyway. And yes, most of the Prussian groups are east orientated. I need to check with my brother too, I think he wanted to actually begin reenacting some Brits...

I need to check with a few groups. I just do not want to do that now. I am not sure if I have internet connection in France, and phone is for sure not available.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:07:17 pm by Olafson™ »

Offline Mortem

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 09, 2014, 06:19:45 pm »
Spoiler

The KGL is nice, and it is probably what I will go to if I am going to choose a German group.

Stupid KGL.

Don't take the "stupid KGL" serious :P I call everything stupid and retarded. The KGL is awesome.

I think the 5th and 2nd are both part of this: http://www.napoleonische-gesellschaft.de/ right?

When is the fire again? I saw it on your event list some while ago, but now I can not find it.. :P
I am in France/Brittany the next 2 weeks, so most likely I wont have any time. Visiting forts and stuff. Again. :P

The 2nd and 5th KGL are both based around Osnabrück, I think which makes it rather easy to get there as well. Just the "Schleppenburg " is not that easy to access using Public transport.

[close]
Yes the 5th and the 2nd are part of the NG, our Colonel is the president of the NG :D
The fire is on the 19.4 and for transport you could ask one of our members.
and just for you Olaf: Our Website

WiWaWølff: unehrenhaft im nahkampf durch ein bajonett gestorben und nicht absolut ehren- und heldenhaft weit weg des Kampfes auf einem artilleriegaul von einer kanonenkugle zerfezt...moment

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #776 on: April 09, 2014, 06:28:18 pm »
C'mon, one has to admit. The red coats, al though impratical, just look awesome.

Redcoats for the win. I'd love to do a British impression in the future.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Mortem

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 09, 2014, 06:30:14 pm »
nah green is cooler  8)
i have to get a bugle soon but dont know where to get one  :(

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 09, 2014, 06:48:49 pm »
Red looks pretty sweet too though :P

Spoiler

Stupid KGL.

Thanks

[close]
Yes the 5th and the 2nd are part of the NG, our Colonel is the president of the NG :D
The fire is on the 19.4 and for transport you could ask one of our members.
and just for you Olaf: Our Website

Thanks! I was on that website before, but just couldn't find it.

Does it have to be a specific bugle? There are dozens of ACW ones on sale. No idea if they are significantly different to the NW ones.
There is also one at that Belgian store:
http://www.re-enactmentshop.com/webshop/napoleonic-wars/accessories/bugle?page=0,1

It is supposed to be Napoleonic.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:50:58 pm by Olafson™ »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 09, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »
To be honest, I've never seen a ACW kind of bugle in a Napoleonic picture. Cavalry had longer ones, and infantry used much bigger ones.