Author Topic: What would you have been?  (Read 52237 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
What would you have been?
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:56:20 am »
Based on your own physical ability and mentality and other factors, what kind of unit from the Napoleonic Wars would you have been? Would you be a dashing Hussar? A massive, powerful grenadier? A wily light infantryman? Or maybe a calculating artillerist?

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: What would you have been?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:26 am »
Personally given my physical stature, thin but rather tall height and long reach, I'd most definitely be a light cavalryman, but I couldn't see myself as a hussar (though it's a dashing way to imagine myself) I'm just not naturally as cocky and wreckless as a hussar might be. I do like to take risks but I at least assess them before diving into them. There is a difference between taking calculated risks and wrecklessness. I think I would fit more as a lancer or something like a chasseur a cheval. Who knows, maybe I could have been a hussar, maybe the cockiness comes with the title heh. Were I more heavily muscled I could no doubt pass for a grenadier or a heavy cavalryman given my height.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
I'm already tall enough to be a grenadier of the line... Dutch - Tallest people in the world. FTW.

But as I ride, I'd defiantly join up with the cavalry. Hussars would probably fit me - I'm not the bravest person ever, and much like KillerMongoose I think about taking risks... but whenever I'm in 'Screw all this'-mood...I really don't give a shit about anything anymore.  ::) Plus, I like scouting.

So, taking all this in consideration, my Napoleonic career would consist of:
- 2nd or 3rd Dutch Hussar regiment, Kingdom of Holland.
- 11e Hussards (From the 2nd regiment), service in Russia and then probably deserting somewhere in 1814, or the Red Lancers. Two squadrons of the 3rd regiment fought in Spain and they were lifted to Guard status just before the Dutch army became part of the French one. They became Red Lancers.
- IF I had survived all this, I'd sign up in the 6th Regiment of Hussars (or the 4th Regiment of Light dragoons) and do my duty for the new United Kingdom of the Netherlands. Or they might come for me. Conscription is a bitch.

I like to think I've made an officer, but well...Realistically, I think I might have hit corporal, maybe sergeant.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:24:59 pm by Duuring »

Offline Connzcdf

• Major
  • Act like a wasteman, that's not me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Connzcdf
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »
I'm pretty small. I am a bit fat. I am not quite up to scratch on brain power, even though I am quite methodical. I would be a Regimental Quarter Master. Or if fate had been good. A Wagon Master General.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »
I'm pretty small. I am a bit fat. I am not quite up to scratch on brain power, even though I am quite methodical. I would be a Regimental Quarter Master. Or if fate had been good. A Wagon Master General.

a quartermaster would still be an officer (A lieutenant, I believe).

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:39:51 pm »
Judging by my brothers size and my ow size, I would probably be either a grenadier, as both my brothers are around 6'2", 200 pounds around there. If I turn out shorter, line infantry for sure. We are middle class, and I am in all honor classes, so if I was to do it right at the time, I may have even became an officer.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:25 pm »
Because I'm not the front pig, rather I am an academic (without saying that snooty) and familar with (military-)history, warfare and maps. And being more of a tactican, diplomat & gentleman with some horse riding skills, I would say I can fill out the role of a general (I would not say as leader over all, because I don't have actually the experience of a military genius), maybe as brigadier or major general.
Maybe due to some mathematic experience & skills, I am usefull as artillery officer, too.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »
Because I'm not the front pig, rather I am an academic (without saying that snooty) and familar with (military-)history, warfare and maps. And being more of a tactican, diplomat & gentleman with some horse riding skills, I would say I can fill out the role of a general (I would not say as leader over all, because I don't have actually the experience of a military genius), maybe as brigadier or major general.
Maybe due to some mathematic experience & skills, I am usefull as artillery officer, too.

(sorry, not trying to be a dick, but merely commenting)

I could say the same about me. Except from maths...Brrr...maths...
Thing is, I probably wouldn't have all that knowledge if I hadn't lived in this time. If I had lived in the time, I simply would have never managed to reach any academy as my family is low-mid class from north NL.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »

(sorry, not trying to be a dick, but merely commenting)

I could say the same about me. Except from maths...Brrr...maths...
Thing is, I probably wouldn't have all that knowledge if I hadn't lived in this time. If I had lived in the time, I simply would have never managed to reach any academy as my family is low-mid class from north NL.
Well, my family was in this time well setted merchants (north germany) or land owners (south germany). With my actual ressources transferred in this time more likely not (because my family lost much stuff during WW1 & 2 and in the economic crisis 1929/30)! :P
But with the ressources my family in this time had, theoretical it would have been possible for me to reach officer ranks.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »
Theoretical...Nah, I'm still Mid class.

But I'd have work my way up  ::)

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:01 am »
Staff Officer, I'd reckon I'd be quite decent at working as a staff officer, nor are there any that specific requirments for that. I suppose the fact that my family would lack the connections a bit, so the staff might be off limits to me. In that case I would probably be an artillery officer.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:32:18 am »
Being a grenadier, and dying in Russia  :-\
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:39 am »
From the little bit of practice I've done so far, I feel I'm pretty handy with a saber, and I've got some experience riding horses. The nation I'd be in service in is hard to say, most of my family is Belgian so I'd probably start off in Austrian service in the Austrian Netherlands, maybe something like Leloup's Chasseurs (depends on when I would be born really) then onto French service and eventually service in the United Kingdom of the Netherlands probably 5th Light Dragoons or 8th Hussars. However I also come from a prominent family in Westphalia so I could potentially have seen service in Prussia maybe as an Uhlan, Hussar, or Dragoon officer. France did control a vassal kingdom they called "Westphalia" but it truthfully only consisted of a small part of Westphalia, and was instead mainly made up of Hessian and Eastphalian regions. There is also the Native American in me which would mean that I take absolutely zero part in anything except maybe helping the Americans fight the War of 1812... maybe. And regarding my Belgian heritage, I have both Walloon blood and Flemish blood in me so there's a chance that I would have died during Boerenkrijg fighting the French occupation voor altaar en haard or maybe working with Charlepoeng as a brigand.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:33:47 am by KillerMongoose »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:04 am »
If the call to arms was given and young men were to enlist, I'd apply for the artillery. It's what I want to do in the Marine Corps. If I stayed in, I'd possibly go the officer route, my father already being an artillery officer and my mother well endowed from her lucrative parents.

Father's side comes from the Alsace-Lorraine region (before they moved to Canada before the French Revolution). I'm bad on my NW history, so I'm not sure if that was a part of France or the Confederation during the period. Also, strong ties to Scottish and English on my mom's side, so possibly that.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:58:40 am »
So first off: Let's assume that I would be in Europe. Next, well assume I survive through the whole thing. Then, judging by mother and father's last names, I would have likely been an officer, and in the British army. An officer in a Highlander regiment, by mother's side. Or an Essex(?) regiment by my father's side. Since that would be the most likely, we'll go with that.

So I probably would have Joined the 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot, and fought through the campaigns they were a part of, in a grenadier company. (As I'm very tall and fairly strong)

We're I to be in the cavalry (Don't know, as I haven't had too much horse-riding experience), I would probably be a Dragoon. Light, though most likely heavy. Maybe even the Scots Greys. :D
Not a hussar though, as I can be daring and somewhat dashing (at least I like to think so ;) ), but I'm not as cocky, wreckless, and wild as they generally were.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.