Author Topic: Rise and Fall - Civilizations at War  (Read 10729 times)

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
  • Side: Confederacy
Rise and Fall - Civilizations at War
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »

Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War is a real-time strategy game developed by both Stainless Steel Studios and Midway Games; it was released on June 12, 2006.The game incorporates segments of both third-person and first-person shooter gameplay, by allowing the player to temporarily control a "hero". Rise and Fall is based in the first millennium BC, and features four playable civilizations: Persia, Greece, Egypt, and Rome.The game includes over eighty civilization-unique military units, as well as eight "hero" units—of which only one may be purchased during a game. In Rise and Fall, there are two campaigns: one follows the conquests of Alexander the Great; and the other, the fictional liberation of Egypt by Cleopatra.

Spoiler
[close]
Featuring mainly RTS, but also third-person and—with a few heroes only—first-person shooter scenarios, the gameplay in Rise and Fall is unique. The goal of the game is to defeat the opponent(s), which is done by first micromanaging a base, and then training an army to destroy the enemy's position. Both land and sea units are available, allowing for different strategies, including amphibious warfare. As in most RTS games, units fight using a rock, paper, scissors method, meaning some soldiers are more capable of defeating a certain kind of enemy, while being defeated by another (ex. cavalry defeat archers, archers defeat spearmen, spearmen defeat cavalry).

Spoiler
[close]
Military units in Rise and Fall are grouped as infantry, cavalry, special, siege, or naval.Infantry, cavalry, and some special units automatically group themselves into formations—groups of soldiers that receive attack and defense bonuses—when at least eight of that kind of unit is present; the maximum number of units a formation may consist of is sixty-four. The unit's speed, attack, defensive capabilities, and range vary, depending on several factors; these include their civilization; unit type; the upgrades that have been purchased; whether or not they are in formation, and, if so, its size. Three resources—wood, gold, and glory—are used to build structures, train units, purchase upgrades; a fourth resource, stamina, is spent using "hero mode." Wood and gold are deposited in settlements, or one of their various upgrades, such as town centers. Glory and stamina are both earned: glory by building and fighting, and stamina when the hero unit kills an enemy.In several RTS games, upgrades—sometimes called "Ages"—are available that represent time periods or technological levels; Rise and Fall uses a similar concept. When upgrades to the hero—called "Levels" in this game—are purchased with glory, new technologies, upgrades, units, and advisors are unlocked. Advisors—paid for with glory as well—provide civilization-specific benefits and bonuses to the player's army and economy.Outposts, guarded by artificial intelligence soldiers,—soldiers who defend automatically—also play an important part in Rise and Fall. Conquering outposts increases the number of units trained from military buildings or ships, while not augmenting their price. The outpost guardians, however, protect it, and reappear until the outpost is taken by a player; once captured, they protect the outpost from attacks by the owner's enemies.

Spoiler
[close]
Another feature in Rise and Fall is "hero mode," which allows the player to temporarily take control of a hero, as if in a third-person shooter game; certain heroes—for instance, Cleopatra—can zoom in further than others with their bow, allowing the player to aim as if in a first-person shooter game. In hero mode, the hero unit becomes much more powerful, often allowing the player to destroy multiple enemy formations. Stamina is required to use this mode, however, and is lost quickly during its duration. The longest a player can spend in hero mode varies with stamina levels, which is increased with upgrades to the hero. To balance the game, hero mode can be used much less than RTS mode. Each civilization has two heroes from which to choose, usually a famous leader in history,—such as Julius Caesar—but sometimes pertaining to mythology—such as Achilles.

Spoiler
[close]
Rise and Fall may be played in both single-player and multiplayer. In single-player games, only one human player may play, against one through seven computer players. If more than two players will play, they may be grouped into teams, which can be chosen to be either permanent or manageable during the game using diplomacy. Other options available before beginning a game include the "population capacity";—the number of units that are trainable—which map of the twenty-four to play on; the difficulty setting; the number of resources given at the start; and the color and civilization of all players. Rise and Fall's multiplayer component is powered by GameSpy, and may be played by anyone who has updated his or her version of the game. Players may host or join matches through either the internet or LAN. The host of the game chooses the options, while the player(s) who join the game either agree to the conditions, or reject them; the match begins when all players agree with the host's terms. Each player may select his own civilization and color, and does not require the host to change them. The multiplayer was discussed on the forums of Rise and Fall Heaven, a popular strategy game fansite. It was said that it is not frequented by many players, and that matches are often difficult to begin due to indecisiveness. During a game, the rules previously agreed upon are often broken by one or more players, leading to unruliness. Despite these drawbacks, several players reported that they played multiplayer.
Spoiler
[close]
Download:
http://www.moddb.com/games/rise-and-fall-civilizations-at-war/downloads
Desert Thunda made this thread, blame him for mistakes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:18:27 pm by Hawke »

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
Re: Rise and Fall - Civilizations at War
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
Epic game, highly recommend it.
 Especially since it's free now.  (I paid 50 euros for a boxed copy. O.O)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »
^What MaHuD said, I play it on a daily basis.

Your welcome for the thread Hawke, and here is a fixed link to the free MP :p
http://www.moddb.com/games/rise-and-fall-civilizations-at-war/downloads/rise-and-fall-civilizations-at-war-multiplayer

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:19:19 pm »
The thread was too large Thunda, I had to edit things! >:(
Also, ancient D-Day with huge fleets and landing Legions is the best thing to do.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:23:05 pm by Hawke »

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:50 pm »
The free version isn't working for me, so trying to install it from my disc now. Hopefully it works. I never got it to work with windows Vista or windows 7. Perhaps windows 8 knows how to do stuff right!
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »
Maybe we should all go on a game together some time? :)

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:26 pm »
Ill give it a go! Looks amazing. ;)

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
Sort of grows boring after a while.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 12:16:15 am »
Sort of grows boring after a while.

2 years and still entertaining.

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:57:52 am »
To you. I would play if there were more factions. It's just a bit too rock-paper-scissors for me, I guess. I don't really like those games most of the time so I guess I am a bit biased.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 05:44:44 am »
To you. I would play if there were more factions. It's just a bit too rock-paper-scissors for me, I guess. I don't really like those games most of the time so I guess I am a bit biased.

Meh, too many games are like that.