Poll

Cavalry

Shooting from horse back, reloading on the move!
26 (52%)
No shooting from horse back, no reload on the move!
13 (26%)
Another solution?!
11 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: February 22, 2015, 12:01:45 am

Author Topic: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]  (Read 15884 times)

Offline LucasAvis

• Second Lieutenant
  • To be True, You must first be Loyal.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ser Lucas Avis
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »
The main problem with Cavalry, is the sheer unbalance in favour of the Union side cavalry. And yes I am talking about the stats...

And the uniform ;)

Nah. Us Confederates have the better uniforms haha. (Except the 1st VA hats. I just cannot get I to those black hats at all.)
Oberst of the NR24 (NW)
Colonel of the 11th North Devonshire (AZ)
Colonel of the Devonshire Regiment (IE)
Colonel of the 1st South Carolina Rifles (BCF/WOR)

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 08:19:50 pm »
Shooting on horse but no reloading mounted IMO
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline PolarBeats

• Sergeant Major
  • To tyrants never yield.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Emperor PolarBeats II of the 1stGBE
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:29 am »
The problem isn't so much the cavalry units themselves. They are pretty well displayed and diverse in their current state. Its more the Community than it is the actual Unit.
Same can be said with Sharps, They are reloading muskets not Cannons. Their reload shouldn't be any slower than a man with a Mississippi or Springfield. The problem isn't the sharps, its the community. The Constant complaining that one side has an upper hand than the others just because the tactics they are used to using isn't good enough to kill every unit the same. The best part of these units is making the player adapt their playstyle when fighting different units. You don't kill a Cavalrymen the same way you do an Artillerist and that proposes a challenge which enhances the fun.

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:45 am »
Well speak Polar! Thats exactly my point of view. But since the community is playing this mod, I have to listen to them and have to make compromisses :)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »
I'd like to meet a man who can shoot accurately on a moving horse. I think they should be able to shoot on horseback, but significantly worse when moving. While off of the horse, they should be much more accurate, but it should really come down to the playstyles of the group. Perhaps some would want to quickly flank around the enemy, dismount, get excellent shots off, and then upon getting charged, mount and disperse. Others may prefer being a shock unit rather than a skirmish unit, by picking out a blobbed, unprepared target, getting in their proximity, volleying, and then charging with sabers, which is much harder to pull off, but should still be allowed. This way, cavalry regiments that can successfully pull off both styles of fighting, and perhaps even more, will have extreme advantage on the field.

As far as fairness in events go, I'd say that if a cavalry regiment runs up, volleys, and doesn't charge, that should be punishable. What's really unfair is letting cavalry get fairly accurate, but very up close shots, but then letting them gallop away quickly.

The big solution I see though, to nerfing the cavalry, is slowing the horses a little. This way they'll be less willing to take risks, because it would become harder to run up to infantry, shoot on horseback at a halt, and run away the second someone gets near. Just a slight change in their speed could do the trick.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:07:48 pm by Sir Audiate »

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 07:06:12 pm »
Beautifully said, I agree one hundred percent with this.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:07 am »
I'd like to meet a man who can shoot accurately on a moving horse. I think they should be able to shoot on horseback, but significantly worse when moving. While off of the horse, they should be much more accurate, but it should really come down to the playstyles of the group. Perhaps some would want to quickly flank around the enemy, dismount, get excellent shots off, and then upon getting charged, mount and disperse. Others may prefer being a shock unit rather than a skirmish unit, by picking out a blobbed, unprepared target, getting in their proximity, volleying, and then charging with sabers, which is much harder to pull off, but should still be allowed. This way, cavalry regiments that can successfully pull off both styles of fighting, and perhaps even more, will have extreme advantage on the field.

In line battle any cav commander worth his salt is willing to dismount and shoot when beneficial and charge when necessary, I don't think carbines should be taken away at all. However as I teach each and every trooper, a quick ctrl+J can turn a shot from luck aim in a few tenths of second and given that cavalry carbines are quite accurate this can result in devastation. The problem with this occurring is that infantry is at a severe weakness to enemy cavalry who can run and gun with minimal casualties while they try to reload and fumble with bayonets. Fragile confederate horses also mean that Union cavalry can easily dismount Confederate rides and leave them in the dust while the proceed to hit and run every Confederate infantry regiment on the map. While we say we want glorious and powerful cav the facts change when you slogging it in the mud only for a hit and run to cripple your line without you being able to do anything about it.

Offline Painmace

• Donator
  • I'm not active in Mount & Blade related stuff
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Black Legion Homepage
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:12 pm »
Back when 32nd played as 7th Cav we did fine, but a solution might be to give the cav less ammo and/or less accuracy?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:10:13 am by Painmace »

Offline PolarBeats

• Sergeant Major
  • To tyrants never yield.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Emperor PolarBeats II of the 1stGBE
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 06:21:36 pm »
The cav arent that accurate even now. I think they are fine and Hinkel should make his mod to how he wants it and not to everybody else's standards.

Offline Painmace

• Donator
  • I'm not active in Mount & Blade related stuff
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Black Legion Homepage
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 10:14:38 am »
I'd like to meet a man who can shoot accurately on a moving horse. I think they should be able to shoot on horseback, but significantly worse when moving.
There are still people alive able to shoot with bow and arrow of a moving horse, a rifle etc cant be much harder with the correct training.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2015, 04:55:51 am »
Ultimately cavalry used against infantry in direct head on charge and engagement should lose, as they historically did. However, when used as raiding units they should win. It might be an idea to nerf their melee weapons rather than their ranged ones, so they can't really engage infantry n close combat effectively and therefore have to take up the raiding role they had during the war.

Offline Ry1459

• Captain
  • Think about it TWICE.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ry1459
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:55 am »
Ultimately cavalry used against infantry in direct head on charge and engagement should lose, as they historically did. However, when used as raiding units they should win. It might be an idea to nerf their melee weapons rather than their ranged ones, so they can't really engage infantry n close combat effectively and therefore have to take up the raiding role they had during the war.
When cav do charge you in NaS, you're pretty screwed unless you mastered a cav square or a blob.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »
Blob?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Ry1459

• Captain
  • Think about it TWICE.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ry1459
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 05:38:18 pm »
Blob?
You just basically have everyone bunch up together.

Offline turanafon

• Sergeant Major
  • TRNC - Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JudgeY
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »
In my opinion it must can fire on horseback, but it must be stop to reload.

Agreed +1
UA-Eagle Brigade-Staff_Adjutant_Ichabod_Crane

https://imgur.com/a/CQ8Uzv3