Author Topic: Napoleonic Drill Instructors (returning soon to revive NW)  (Read 7378 times)

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
  • Applied Behavior Analyst
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Drill Instructors
  • Side: Neutral
Napoleonic Drill Instructors (returning soon to revive NW)
« on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:14 am »
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/napoleonicdrillinstructors#

~~TLDR:
THIS IS NOT A REGIMENT!!! This is a group of regiments and soldiers that want to learn about authentic, idiot-proof marching.  OFFICERS ARE ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR SUBORDINATES!!! However, sergeants are responsible for those subordinates. NOBODY WILL DISRESPECT YOU, DO NOT DISRESPECT OTHERS!!! We learn, practice, and discuss how formations work through sponsored events. The event is undergoing its first draft and will have a weekly prize of $10-$20.

~~MISSION
This is a leadership academy for different regiments, not a regiment or boot camp experience! Anyone can register as an officer! We educate players and existing groups about DRILL PROCEDURE, LEADERSHIP, and THE APPLICATION OF FORMATIONS. Our goal is to improve COMMUNICATION within online communities. We use teamplay video games and frequent cash prizes to provide a fun experience. NDI is organized by Zude, a former USAF Auxiliary C/MSgt and SAR instructor.

~~CHAIN OF COMMAND
Soldiers can pick their sergeant. Each sergeant reports to one officer. Every officer will have a permanent record. This approach shows the distinction between accountability and responsibility.
    Squads are led by sergeants using direct leadership. They deal with people, so they drill the squad most of the time. Sergeants must relay and promote the ideas of the officer to their subordinates. Sergeants can argue with the officer in secret, but they cannot deny the order. They are responsible but not accountable for the attendance, safety, and discipline of their platoon.

Platoons are led by lieutenants that use mostly indirect leadership. They deal with decisions, so they should always lead indirectly through their sergeants. They can assume direct leadership at the cost of cognitive ability. They are allowed to deny company orders because they are accountable for the attendance, safety, and discipline of their squads.

A company is led by a captain that uses indirect leadership. Captains are responsible for directing communication between platoon officers. He is accountable for the results of his mission, and the cooperation/survival of all platoons.

~~HOW TO PARTICIPATE

(Step 1. Registration.)
Join this steam group and use the group's discussion boards. Choose your role by following the steps below. You may switch roles if you delete your previous registration.
    Officers:
    • POST your platoon registration in our discussion boards. Every officer in your regiment will need to post their own platoon. Platoons cannot have multiple officers or exceed 4 sergeants. You are held accountable for their actions.
    Sergeants:
    • COMMENT under the officer that vouches for you to register your squad. Write the names of 15 trusted subordinates in your comment.
    Soldiers:
    • ASK a sergeant to register you in his comment. His officer must approve.

(Step 2. Participation.)
Rally your platoon and wait for the announcement. Platoons will be exactly 25 players: 1 officer, 2 sergeants, 22 rankers. There will be 4 platoons in each team. One officer in each team will be captain. His sergeant will be 1st sergeant.

Our academy event will operate by holding captains accountable for the game. In Teamspeak, the team officers will be in one room together where they can discuss company strategy and whisper directives to their sergeants.

The sergeants will have their own rooms with their soldiers so they can communicate freely.[/list]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:04:45 pm by zude »

Different regiments, outfits, and groups participate in the academy. You can ask the academy to attend your event a week in advance. We become the responsibility of the contractor for that event.

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Napoleonic Drill Instructors
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 02:27:30 am »
ALL criticism is welcome. Message me if you would like our cadets to participate in your event.

Different regiments, outfits, and groups participate in the academy. You can ask the academy to attend your event a week in advance. We become the responsibility of the contractor for that event.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 04:54:19 am »
Hey, so I wrote up a lil thing that's a collection from the EPI drill called school of the platoon.

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8282.0

Instead of this (as it would be incredibly hard to keep organized in NW)

Squads must be 5 to 10 soldiers.
Platoons must be 3 to 5 squads.
Companies must be 2 to 3 platoons.
All the blame falls on the acting officers, they should know how to accept it.
NDI members can review their officers after the event (Bad reviews can result in a ban.)
Sergeants can not be reviewed because they must follow their orders.
NDI corporal candidates in your group have priority to replace a fallen squad sergeant.
NDI sergeant candidates in your group have priority to be selected as squad sergeant each round.
NDI officer candidates in your group have priority to be selected as platoon officer each round.
NDI officer candidates have authority to form companies with your group (lieutenants can deny his orders.)

I recommend the smallest unit or organization being the platoon. A platoon is any single unit (5-20 soldiers) led by a single officer. A company is two platoons (any more is a cluster fuck) led by a captain, in control of both platoons as a single line. Anything more complicated than this system is rather unpractical and hard to do in NW.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:57:15 am »
If no one is superior than another how can one lead..

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »
A touch of paint to this thread here and there would be welcome. If you don't want to or can't do it yourself, there are some thread templates out here and there to help you.
The idea is one I do appreciate, but be weary that often regiment leaders have too much pride to acknowledge they an't sometimes do it on their own, or can do better.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 04:06:35 pm »

Sergeants (direct leaders) and officers (indirect leaders) are randomly chosen before each round from within your group. Teaching responsibility is only possible when you give responsibility. Authority and responsibility are always linked. Only the real military is qualified to productively hold rank over another human being.

Will you get a bad leader sometimes? Yes.
Will everyone learn what do do and what not to do? Yes.

Edit: Changes to the NDI process will introduce players to the persistant responsibility of direct and indirect leaders.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:37:43 pm by zude »

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »
Hey, so I wrote up a lil thing that's a collection from the EPI drill called school of the platoon.

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8282.0

Instead of this (as it would be incredibly hard to keep organized in NW)

Squads must be 5 to 10 soldiers.
Platoons must be 3 to 5 squads.
Companies must be 2 to 3 platoons.
All the blame falls on the acting officers, they should know how to accept it.
NDI members can review their officers after the event (Bad reviews can result in a ban.)
Sergeants can not be reviewed because they must follow their orders.
NDI corporal candidates in your group have priority to replace a fallen squad sergeant.
NDI sergeant candidates in your group have priority to be selected as squad sergeant each round.
NDI officer candidates in your group have priority to be selected as platoon officer each round.
NDI officer candidates have authority to form companies with your group (lieutenants can deny his orders.)

I recommend the smallest unit or organization being the platoon. A platoon is any single unit (5-20 soldiers) led by a single officer. A company is two platoons (any more is a cluster fuck) led by a captain, in control of both platoons as a single line. Anything more complicated than this system is rather unpractical and hard to do in NW.

I will re-write this since it was misunderstood. Company officers are indirect leaders, so they should avoid marching the company in one line. A large army is always a disorganized one. Attend one of my lectures on the U.S. chain of command and I am positive that you will see that it is idiot proof.

My experience from USAF auxiliary (CAP) focused on drilling platoons or companies every weekend for 5 years. I also welcome any demeaning jokes about the organization.

Offline LastSpartan

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Åbo_Soldat_Spartan
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:42:07 pm »
Did I understand correctly that you're not actually focusing in making a said game have better community managers/leaders, but instead teach people how to lead clans, guilds and regiments on the internet responsibly and efficiently?
Åbo = Turku

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »
Did I understand correctly that you're not actually focusing in making a said game have better community managers/leaders, but instead teach people how to lead clans, guilds and regiments on the internet responsibly and efficiently?

Both. I want to help improve existing communities and help people create their own functional gaming groups.
My mission is a personal one. I am trying to improve the "people" problems most of all. We focus on 3 topics: leadership, drill procedure, and drill application. My drill experience is real, albeit from the civil air patrol (USAF Auxiliary.)

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
  • bring back historical names
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik | 18e
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 07:16:03 pm »
omg join my reg11!1!!1!!1

Offline zude

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 07:26:49 pm »
I am already in the 53e, just for some simple soldier fun with no responsibility.

The academy operates independently. You can ask us to attend your event a week in advance. The academy is always the responsibility of the person who contracted them for that event. If they have a bad time, it is the contractor's fault and they will remember it.

Offline Jakester

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Jousting Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jakester
  • Side: Union
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 08:42:34 pm »
looks like a cool idea, hope this succeeds!

Offline GerRagnar

• Major
  • ↑ the amount of times I posted nudes last year ↑
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Crumpets_Mum
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 01:14:41 pm »
Pointless imo

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »

ikr this is too liberal

Offline GerRagnar

• Major
  • ↑ the amount of times I posted nudes last year ↑
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Crumpets_Mum
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 01:19:40 pm »

ikr this is too liberal

its still a game, if you want discipline and shit like that enlist for your countrys army or do rl rp