Author Topic: The community deserves better  (Read 70581 times)

Offline Harbinger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The community deserves better
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2013, 01:03:13 pm »
The fact is I am not trying to make out that the 51st is at fault or anything of the kind, they didn't ask for special treatment to my knowledge. The problem is that with the reasoning they were awarded the honour alot of other people should have been honoured. The whole idea to honour some regiments was stupid though, the height of stupidity was, though how other people are being insulted by being omitted while having contributed just as much as the 51st. Not to mention the poor guy who had his regimental name ripped from him in an overly theatrical manner.

And Rejenorst, you know as well as I do that the likelihod of getting heard. As simple thing such as the buggy sound for pokes/thuds that I ran by you and atleast one of the other devs was still in at launch causing confusion and anger amongst the community.

And people say that there was ways to avoid the scandal, this conveniently circumvents the fact that the culture is that you have to be buddies with Vince to be heard, and you don't become his buddy by voicing dussenting opinions. Accordingly you have a bunch of yesmen at the top that just smile and nod as they are moving from one folly to another, Hancock is a senior member of the administrative team yet he was kept in the dark as far as I know, probably because he is not affraid to speak his mind. The whole community representative thing is as ill adviced as the 51st decision, I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. The root of the problem is that Vince isn't answerable to anyone, which will not change with the solution presented. And that is ultimately why this thread had to be here, infront of everyone, Vince and FSE need to have a rude awakening about the fact that they are a business, and as a business they are answerable to the customers who ultimately pay their salary.
How do you know that other regiments are being "omitted" though? Perhaps if they decided to leave and ask for the same honors, they may have just received it.

We don't all have Trolafson in our regiment.
Irrelevant. There's plenty of other regiments that the FSE and admins recognize as valuable contributors, like the 92nd, 91st or 84e. I don't see why they wouldn't have been given the same honors if they had left the game and an entire shitstorm arose from kids using their names to make bad regiments.

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
  • To be British; is to be haughtily honest.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sid the slick sh*t
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #481 on: January 28, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »
The fact is I am not trying to make out that the 51st is at fault or anything of the kind, they didn't ask for special treatment to my knowledge. The problem is that with the reasoning they were awarded the honour alot of other people should have been honoured. The whole idea to honour some regiments was stupid though, the height of stupidity was, though how other people are being insulted by being omitted while having contributed just as much as the 51st. Not to mention the poor guy who had his regimental name ripped from him in an overly theatrical manner.

And Rejenorst, you know as well as I do that the likelihod of getting heard. As simple thing such as the buggy sound for pokes/thuds that I ran by you and atleast one of the other devs was still in at launch causing confusion and anger amongst the community.

And people say that there was ways to avoid the scandal, this conveniently circumvents the fact that the culture is that you have to be buddies with Vince to be heard, and you don't become his buddy by voicing dussenting opinions. Accordingly you have a bunch of yesmen at the top that just smile and nod as they are moving from one folly to another, Hancock is a senior member of the administrative team yet he was kept in the dark as far as I know, probably because he is not affraid to speak his mind. The whole community representative thing is as ill adviced as the 51st decision, I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. The root of the problem is that Vince isn't answerable to anyone, which will not change with the solution presented. And that is ultimately why this thread had to be here, infront of everyone, Vince and FSE need to have a rude awakening about the fact that they are a business, and as a business they are answerable to the customers who ultimately pay their salary.
How do you know that other regiments are being "omitted" though? Perhaps if they decided to leave and ask for the same honors, they may have just received it.

We don't all have Trolafson in our regiment.
Irrelevant. There's plenty of other regiments that the FSE and admins recognize as valuable contributors, like the 92nd, 91st or 84e. I don't see why they wouldn't have been given the same honors if they had left the game and an entire shitstorm arose from kids using their names to make bad regiments.

Yes, shit storm from kids using their name and they left the community? Wait? They left the community? Why would they care about it then?

Instigating arguments is such a broad term, for all could be potentially and usually innocently participating in this joke of a rule. Post an opinion, someone disagrees and therefore you have instigated an argument. Now, sonny, welcome to the FSE graveyard where we ban you all with our sketchy rules as the tool. And why you say? Because we can, son.

Offline Craig

• Captain
  • Help help I'm being reported!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Craig
  • Side: Union
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2013, 01:07:27 pm »
There's plenty of bad regiments made anyway but there seems to be some kind of emphasis on a 51st one, when you left the game you gave your name up and that was something you had to acknowledge as part of leaving the community.
WILLIEM WALLACE KILLED FEFTY MEN

~~ No one gives a fuck about what you admin~~

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2013, 01:09:49 pm »
This ends now. I'm not seeing this thread devolve into petty squabbles again.

@Robin_Hood, Jackie_Chan - The 51st made significant contributions to the development of NW. At least 60% of the official maps are 51st made, many in-game assets (Including Scene props, Weapons and the like) were made by 51st members doing Freelance work for FSE (Myself having contributed a small part to that), 51st_Spunned developed the FSE website for the release of NW, the 51st were one of the largest groups of beta testers used, and alongside all that two current members of the FSE dev team (and at least two members of their support staff) are 51st members, all of whom spend days of their lives (In some cases free of charge) to improve YOUR gaming experience.

@Harbinger - Stop. You're not making this any easier.

Thread Locked, as was requested several pages ago.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:03 pm »

Are you 100% certain you actually know how much work they put in? As far as insulted goes, the guys who helped beta test got to play the game before anyone else and will most likely get to do so again with BCOF. Isn't that reward enough to not worry about who gets what?

Yes I remember that post and I was curious if we could change it but it wasn't possible at the time given time constraints and there was still a number of issues that needed to be sorted out with TW. While it would have been great to have all these issues fixed from the get-go this is not always possible, but at which point did you think no one had heard you? Just because it wasn't fixed on demand doesn't mean everyone ignored you.

EDIT: Sorry Blob, ninja'd delete post if you want.
Spoiler

[close]