Author Topic: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!  (Read 105526 times)

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 17 - Napoleonic Wars v1.1 Public Beta!
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2013, 01:19:58 pm »
Although I heven't played the Beta yet, so I don't know the complete impact of the current change, I think that lowering the range of the heavy cav sword isn't the best of ideas, so I have a suggestion regarding that.
  • Fix the model of the heavy cav sword, so that it actually is 3cm longer than it is now, to take away the 'ghost' range of the sword.
  • To balance the length of the sword, slightly decrease the damage done. (36c to 35 or 34)
  • Either slightly increase horse speed and manueverability, or revert the health decrease
The reason I'd like to see this is that heavy cav should be able to charge infantry right in the face, and, as of now (without beta), the sword is exactly the right range to outrange a musket, but only when you really use the very tip of your blade.
And I still do not understand why you guys don't take away the Russian Cossacks, and give UK it's much needed hussars. If you get rid of the Cossacks, you won't have any 'too many units' memory issues.

Other than that, brilliant job on the fixes and changes!

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:53 pm »
Please add some austraillian servers we have a lot of player contribution and its just sad when you have stabbed the other guy for a minute and turns out i was dead the whole time -_-

There's Official_Aus_1, Official_Aus_2 (hosted by LCC) and then there's the ANH servers.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2013, 02:35:39 pm »
I was just thinking. Uhm, the Dutch Nations Cup Team, winners of the tournament of 2012 I beleave were given Beta to this as reward? But uhm, everyone got it now. I just wonder, is there anything we will still get from that tournament that we won a year ago.

I know I've mentioned this many times before but I never got a clear answer.
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
Personally I cannot understand why anyone is complaining about the changes to either cav or arty. After playing artillery in a few line battles recently it is incredibly easy, point shoot and voila tons of kills. As for cavalry I may be biased since I am a rifleman but those swords seem to hit you no matter where you are, in front of the horse behind it jumping to the side you still get 1 hit and now with the rifle butt nerfs the cav needs to be made weaker or we have no chance. I understand they are our counter but a good rifleman should at least have a chance of surviving.

Also where did the idea that rifle butt is spam able come froM? Swords and bayonets are spam able, even cavalry muskets are but you try spamming with a rifle and unless your fighting a brain dead hedgehog then you will get stuck by a bays real quick.

Other than that really looking forward to release of this patch after testing it on beta the new units are really nice

Offline TheSamuraiOfNapoleon

• Private
  • Professional Pistol Sniper
    • View Profile
    • www.TheXI.enjin.com
  • Nick: [44th]Pte_Samurai
  • Side: Union
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »
It's EU tho D:

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »
Could you guys change something about the sailor sword to make it more balanced? As it is now it swings very slowly and doesn't do very much damage, so it's kind of useless. Combine that with the slow turning speed of your character and you can't really engage in melee with someone who has a bayonet or even another sword. And considering the sailor only gets a pistol his sword should be a little better to compensate for it.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2013, 03:34:50 pm »
I agree with fixing the skirmisher NCO, it's a shit class to play because it's accuracy is worse than line and the bonus is slight. I think giving them some shooting would make them playable.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
I was just thinking. Uhm, the Dutch Nations Cup Team, winners of the tournament of 2012 I beleave were given Beta to this as reward? But uhm, everyone got it now. I just wonder, is there anything we will still get from that tournament that we won a year ago.

I know I've mentioned this many times before but I never got a clear answer.

You derp that was for Blobs project not this ffs.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »
I agree with fixing the skirmisher NCO, it's a shit class to play because it's accuracy is worse than line and the bonus is slight. I think giving them some shooting would make them playable.
I suppose the reason behind it was that their able to give certain bonuses, might be mistaken..
I can give them the same skillset as rankers though, since they carry no flag.

Could you guys change something about the sailor sword to make it more balanced? As it is now it swings very slowly and doesn't do very much damage, so it's kind of useless. Combine that with the slow turning speed of your character and you can't really engage in melee with someone who has a bayonet or even another sword. And considering the sailor only gets a pistol his sword should be a little better to compensate for it.
What sword exactly?, they have loads.

If you're fixing the dragoons, can you fix that all the lancers spawn with actual lances instead of most of them with only swords and the rest with lances & swords?
They actually do all spawn with a lance, but because of the warband AI, they randomly don't/do use them, I can't change this and taleworlds finds it impossible to fix. sorry.

Although I heven't played the Beta yet, so I don't know the complete impact of the current change, I think that lowering the range of the heavy cav sword isn't the best of ideas, so I have a suggestion regarding that.
  • Fix the model of the heavy cav sword, so that it actually is 3cm longer than it is now, to take away the 'ghost' range of the sword.
  • To balance the length of the sword, slightly decrease the damage done. (36c to 35 or 34)
  • Either slightly increase horse speed and manueverability, or revert the health decrease
The reason I'd like to see this is that heavy cav should be able to charge infantry right in the face, and, as of now (without beta), the sword is exactly the right range to outrange a musket, but only when you really use the very tip of your blade.
And I still do not understand why you guys don't take away the Russian Cossacks, and give UK it's much needed hussars. If you get rid of the Cossacks, you won't have any 'too many units' memory issues.

Other than that, brilliant job on the fixes and changes!
The sword model is accurate length... it would look silly if its longer, to balance the swords, lowering the length as we did actually reduced the damage it can do on the tip... I have yet to see too much problems with this..... Maybe play a bit more guys and give me proper feedback then speculating on a change-log.. :P

About the new units, It is not only a case of memory issues making new regiments, the actual making of uniforms is also a time costly business, which we will not invest into Napoleonic Wars at this time, we have to move on towards our new project, Battle Cry of Freedom....
You can't expect that a year after release of a 10 dollar DLC, mind you, mostly sold for 2.50 or less to add so much content.
Maybe you are expecting a bit too much of it?, For instance 60 dollar games don't even patch much after 3 months since release, and won't add as much new content as we do..
Hell in call of duty you pay 15 dollar for a two new maps DLC.... ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:57:44 pm by Vincenzo »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »
What sword exactly?, they have loads.

I didn't know they had more than one. Do they all work the same way though?

Offline Crayon

• Sergeant
  • Major_Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
I can give them the same skillset as rankers...since they carry no flag.

SPLENDID!
;D

Now.

MORE PEOPLE DOWNLOAD AND TRY THE BETA.
The damn servers are near empty, yet this thread is bulging.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:42:13 pm by Crayon »
A Major Bastard

Offline Slayer

• Volunteer
  • A loaded gun is a good gun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Mrks_Slayer
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »
While on the topic of rifles, the up attack of a rifle is just completely broken and useless. It's slow, deals hardly any damage, the animation is broken and the hitbox is just weird.

Do you think this could be fixed? As it stands anyone trying to use it in a fight asks to be killed.

Offline Matim

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14pk_Matim
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:43 pm »

Beta sucks. Don't change anything in cavalry, exept the "ghost range".
Hating off
You can't expect that a year after release of a 10 dollar DLC, mind you, mostly sold for 2.50 or less to add so much content.
Maybe you are expecting a bit too much of it?, For instance 60 dollar games don't even patch much after 3 months since release, and won't add as much new content as we do..

I don't know what we can hope for in BCoF then
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:17:11 pm by Matim »

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »

>:( Get used to it stop the dam complaining...

Offline Crayon

• Sergeant
  • Major_Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2013, 06:00:18 pm »

I disagree, a beta is an ongoing thing.

These were great beta additions:

Marines, Seamen.
Frigates
Maps.
Sappers drop shovels when killed.
Pistol accuracy increased, can now actually hit people.
Removing musketoons from Russian dragoons.
Ghost range removed.

I did not like the attempt to balance  to heavy cav and arty, but these changes are being addressed in the imminent update

These soon to be updates to the beta will be most welcome to me:

Functioning Dragoons in Commander Battles
Arty crews will drop ramrod when killed.
Seamen will be able to operate cannons.
Bringing all rifle sergeants up to the same accuracy as rifle rankers
Re-balancing Heavy Cav and Arty to make them more effective again.
A Major Bastard