Author Topic: Old war portraits  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Old war portraits
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:01:14 am »
Back in many ways young men would get their portrait taken prior to going of to war. They would try to look tough and patriotic with the use of backround paintings or props. I have found these interesting and this one is definitly my favorite. Feel free to post any you think are cool or funny.

Spoiler
[close]
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Old war portraits
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:25 am »
Here's a group portrait I've always found interesting. It's the high command of the Montreal Volunteer Active Force in 1860. The active force referred generally to all of the militia units in Montreal. Most of those militia units were formed during the Crimean War, the outbreak of which caused the British to drain Canada of the regulars stationed there. This prompted the Canadians to form militia units to defend against a possible American invasion, which they figured the Americans might try while the British were fighting the Russians.

Some of the pictured regiments would see combat during the Fenian invasions.

Spoiler

From left to right: Lt. Col. R.S. Tylee, Montreal Volunteer Artillery; Lt. Col. H.H. Whitney, Montreal Light Infantry; Maj. Henry Hogan, Foot Artillery; Col. John Clyde, Commandant Volunteer Force; Lt. Col. Thomas Wiley, 1st Prince of Wales' Rifles; Maj. George Smith, Assistant Adjutant General; Lt. Col. Elzear David, Montreal Volunteer Cavalry.
[close]
As far as painted portraits go, I've got a million, but here are a couple especially nice ones.

The first is an 1813-14 painting of an unknown officer of the French Imperial Guard Chasseurs à Cheval, specifically one of the Young Guard battalions formed around that time. The Second is Lt. Andrew Finucane of the British 10th Hussars circa 1811.

Spoiler
[close]

Enjoy.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:57 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:01:31 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:01 pm »
There's a lot of studio portraits of German soldiers, mainly because they would have a copy placed inside of their paybooks for identification verification, however this is the only one I've seen where a weapon is in it... and he's got it at the ready like some damn cowboy.

As far as his rank, he's a SS-Sturmmann (Lance Corporal) and has the stripe on his shoulderboard as a NCO candidate (Unterführer-Anwärter).

Spoiler
[close]

Here's a Stabsgefreiter (Senior Corporal), a very elusive rank not easily found. Not only that, but he has two campaign shields (Kuban Bridgehead and Crimea). Also, his litzen on his shoulderboards is very dark, so perhaps Engineer (Pionier) or Medical (Sanitäter). Based on his awards, this guy was definitely in the rear with the gear.
Spoiler
[close]

Another Stabsgefreiter who is also a NCO candidate (Unteroffizier-Anwärter) with a panzer wrap so I'm curious as to what branch he is in. My best guess would be mobile Artillery such as a Wespe, Hummel, Marder, or StuG.
Spoiler
[close]
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33:33 am »
Many photographs were taken of Napoleonic veterans in advanced age during the 19th century, but few were taken during the 20th.

Spoiler
[close]

This is a photo of Pavel Yakovlevich Tolstoguzov, who was rediscovered at the age of One Hundred and Seventeen, in 1912, when the state was arranging a celebration to mark the 100th anniversary of the battle of Borodino. The Tobolsk provincial government described him as "deaf and poorly sighted, but surprisingly vigorous." The woman in the photo was his wife, aged 80 at the time of its taking. Very little is known about him, but he served as a grenadier in the Tobolsk infantry regiment and was at Smolensk, Borodino, Maloyaroslavets, and it's believed he also took part in the 1814 occupation of Paris. Being born in 1795, he was 17 during the celebrated battle. The Tobolsk regiment was a part of the II Corps under Baggovout (von Baggehufwudt) which fought on both the far right flank and the far left, seeing the entire sweep of the battlefield during their maneuvers.

Tolstoguzov was invited to travel to Moscow by August 10 (Old Style) to attend the ceremony on the 26th, but the sudden attention from the government and the local community awoke old and terrible memories and he suddenly fell ill. On 31st of July (O. S.) 1912, he died. So I guess the next time you see an old veteran, don't thank him... don't say a damn thing unless he brings it up first. Some guys don't need that shit.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:36:40 am »
The veteran is interesting and all, but more important is the photographic evidence for the existence of the goddamn grim reaper.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:47 am »
The veteran is interesting and all, but more important is the photographic evidence for the existence of the goddamn grim reaper.
Apparently Pavel's wife is the grim reaper.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 03:14:15 pm »
omg i should hang more in the historical discussion board.

A platoon of very young infantrymen from 9. Lothringisches German I.R. 173
Date: 25 Januar 1915
Place: St. Avold
the board says: "We are boys from Aachen through and through".
Spoiler
[close]

And also Belgian Carabineers in this picture aka Kings of the Mess Tins (that being a joke)

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:18:02 pm by TORN »