Author Topic: Reenactment Videos  (Read 58039 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Reenactment Videos
« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »
A musket going for 50 years? That's a good one.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
There's plenty of muskets still working fine after 200 years.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2017, 08:40:42 pm »
Yeah, but most likely none of them saw any heavy service. Most likely they were just sitting around in a cupboard somewhere. Which is not to unlikely, you need to remember that the Charleville was one of the most produced and copied firearms in history.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:42:40 pm by Olafson »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
There's plenty of muskets still working fine after 200 years.

Sure, if they saw little action and were properly maintained.

If it saw heavy action all parts must have been replaced at some point, I am not too sharp on the physics of it all, but I can't imagine a musket barrel lasting that long, especially on campaign.
Not to mention the springs in the lock.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:55 pm »
A lot of the remaining guns that have been shot have very thin barrels and are usually 10cm shorter.

Reason for that is that the muzzle got used up so much that it got thinner and thinner and it had to be cut off at the end. Some originals are very dangerous for that reason too.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 27, 2017, 10:54:51 am »
I'd wager modern-made muskets to have much better quality steel, much more pure than that old shit from the 19th century.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »
Modern muskets are definitely safer. Which is why it's redicilous that according to Dutch law, an original is free to own and fire without any license while a modern day reproduction, which is exactly the same safe for the fact it is better made and safer, somehow requires a gun license. I'm not against having a gun license, but at least have a system that makes sense.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:25 pm »
Agreed. Question though, what if I were to buy an original musket and change the barrel?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:59 pm »
We need to elect a re-enactor into parliament so that shit can be fixed.

Riddlez, that would count as a replica.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 27, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »
HMm, they're not THAT stupdid then.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:16 pm »

I think this figure is probably a NCO or a commissioned officer. Notice the light (silver?) braid on both epaulletes as well as the fact he has a full-lenght sabre with a waistbelt, as opposed to the shorter shoulderbelt models the other two figures use. He also has the pocket-thingy hanging out of his trousers (I forget the proper name) which usually was attached to a pocketwatch. Those items were only for the wealthy. His cockade is also noteworthy larger than that of the central figure, though that might just be an artist's error. I can't tell whether he is commisioned or not - the epaulletes are still plain red and doesn't have the metal shield. Weird stuff.

The sabre the central figure is wearing is also of a different, older model, than the sabre-briquets the Equipage uses.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 27, 2017, 09:36:06 pm »
We are aware of that, yeah. The French style sabre-briquets are wrong, we need those Prussian style sabers.

Like this.

I'd get that, but I'm on short on cash and I have the wrong carrying belt for that thing which means either get entirely new leatherwork or have a custom made scabard made that fits. Maybe something for the future if my current sabre ever breaks down.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:38:34 pm by joer5835 »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 27, 2017, 10:44:47 pm »
That's not really right either. If the Suhr drawings are accurate, soldiers wore different models, but the ones that had a guard with multiple bars, they always covered the entire hand and not just the front, like this. That one also clearly has only one bar. Two-bar-models can be seen though, as well as models looking very much like the French sabre-briquet.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 27, 2017, 10:55:24 pm »
How do you guys deal with such a thing as sabres? I mean, replica muskets are readily available, though I can imagine finding an accurate sabre (or an type of sword, really) to be a much more challenging issue.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:12 pm »
It depends. Officers can pretty much buy any epee or sabre they like, and those are usually also made in cheaper replicas. As for the sabre-briquets of soldiers, it sorta depends on the impression. The French An XI model sabre-briquet is mass-produced in replica and most people go with that. It is accurate or as close as it gets for most of the cases.