Author Topic: The Great Ocean Liners thread (Titanic, Lusitania etc.)  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Great Ocean Liners thread (Titanic, Lusitania etc.)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 03:01:19 pm »
U-boat alledgedly thought it was an iceberg
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »
Oceanic alledgedly thought it was an iceberg
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:26 pm »
http://www.titanichg.com/
It does look like it will be quite an interesting game. That video they did of the sinking in real time was good although there were some inaccuracies (most minor quibbles but a few big ones like the bridge ordering hard a starboard before the lookouts have even reported in).

Another interesting incident with the Olympic happened in 1911 when the British cruiser HMS Hawke rammed into her.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
  It was believed that the cruiser was sucked into the Olympic by the Olympic's propellers. Incidentally Captain Smith who would later command the Titanic was in charge of the Olympic at the time.
The Titanic herself had a mishap within minutes of leaving port. Again, her propellers displaced quite a lot of water and sucked a moored liner, the SS New York, away from the docks, only narrowly avoiding a collision.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
EDIT: Well Olympic was still at it in 1934:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:16:04 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 10:02:51 pm »
What a perfect name for a Captain.
Still doesn't beat the USS Zumwalt though.

Spoiler
Kirk. Like, literally
[close]
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »
More accidents from the Olympic. She threw a propeller blade crossing the Atlantic in early 1912, forcing her to go back to Belfast for repairs:
Spoiler
[close]
They decided to take one of Titanic's propellers for the Olympic, meaning that the Titanic's maiden voyage had to be pushed back to April 10th (it was meant to be the 20th March). Several weeks after the Titanic sank, Olympic nearly ran aground on some rocks off lands end. The captain at the time was Captain Haddock, who was also the first captain of the Titanic.
This is what he looked like:
Spoiler
[close]

Not this:
Spoiler
[close]
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 12:40:24 pm »
lol wtf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop
Yeah, after the first time I would not have been too keen to go on another Olympic Class liner again myself but not Violet!
At least they got most of the people off the Britannic in time, apart from thirty people in two boats who got sucked into the propellers.
Another interesting chap is Alfred Vanderbilt.
Spoiler
[close]
He was meant to be on the Titanic but at the very last minute he cancelled his trip. Initially he was listed as one of the casualties. Three years later though he was on the Lusitania when it sank and he died in the sinking. He could not swim but he still gave his lifejacket to a female passenger and tried to find more lifejackets for others.
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
Freak waves and shit. Ocean is mean place. I'd rather be part of a Soyuz Launch.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:59:33 pm by MarshalKim »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 11:53:10 am »
Here is another interesting one, a German liner this time. The SS Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse:
Spoiler
[close]
She was built about the same time as the Cunarders and had three sister ships (the SS Kronprinz Wilhelm, the SS Kaiser Wilhelm II and the SS Kronprinzessin Cecilie). The ship is quite interesting as, along with her sisters, she was pressed into service during the war and was sunk at the Battle of Río de Oro in August 1914.
Spoiler
[close]
There is some dispute over whether the Germans scuttled her or whether British gunfire had doomed the ship anyway:
Spoiler
[close]
]