Author Topic: Bravest thing a common soldier has ever done  (Read 6908 times)

Offline PurplePanda

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Old Gen boy, led a few bad regiments.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purpie
  • Side: Union
Re: Bravest thing a common soldier has ever done
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:24 am »
Going to the war itself and not fleeing

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:43 am »

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 07:15:19 pm »

Evgeny Rodionov was 18 years old when captured by militant chechens; He never wanted to be a soldier but had to serve in the russian army as conscript. He refused to convert to islam after being tortured 100 days, so the murderers cut off his head with a rusty saw on his 19th birthday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/how-a-young-conscript-became-a-russian-saint-6157319.html

I believe that spreading his story and his picture will make people think about how incredible precious being alive and living in peace is.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:53:20 pm by Ted »
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Liman von Sanders

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »

After serving in the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913 he was transferred to the forts defending the Mediterranean entrance to the Dardanelles. Following the heavy naval bombardment of the forts guarding the Narrows on 18 March 1915, the gun he was serving in the Mecidiye fort remained operational but its shell crane had been damaged. Corporal Seyit, by himself, carried three artillery shells weighing 275 kg. to the 240/35 mm gun and enabled it to continue firing on the Allied Fleet. One of the shells reputedly hit the British pre-dreadnought HMS Ocean, and the ship was later sunk by a mine laid by the minelayer Nusret. Seyit had blood gushing from his nose during his heroic act, because of the immense weight of the shells which he carried.

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:44 pm »
Islamic suicide bombers are not brave. They actually believe that they will find virgin girls in paradise. That's stupidity, not bravery. You are brave if you are affraid and conscious of what you are doing. In my opinion, the best example of bravery was given by the tree men who dived into the tank at Chernobyl and directly saved the life of thousands. They were not soldiers.

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 09:49:09 am »
The caroleans used to march straight on towards the enemy, even under enemy fire and fire a volley when they saw the white in the enemies eyes, and then charge. But well, caroleans was not some common soldiers, they were much better than that 8)
I smell a tiny bit of patriotism.. ::)
That's literally what they did, though. I have proof from my descendent's field book.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 10:44:07 am »
The caroleans used to march straight on towards the enemy, even under enemy fire and fire a volley when they saw the white in the enemies eyes, and then charge. But well, caroleans was not some common soldiers, they were much better than that 8)
Well yeah know...The british did that...and the french...and the germans...russians... (not the austrians cuz they suck) maybe i'm just being dumb but i'm pretty sure that every professional soldier in the age of muskets were trained to do this, this was a key concept in the tactics used at the time. Ya know, march to the enemy and shoot at them while being shot at, lol, perhaps charge.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:52 pm »
Not really - not in the specific time period he's talking about. Most of Sweden's enemies were content to form a massive and unwieldy line and to hold it stationary and fire until they ran out of bullets, even if they could be outturned or reduced with artillery, while the Swedish Gå–På tactic relied on brief but close fire and swift maneuver to cut these costly engagements as short as possible.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 04:45:55 am »
Yes but to say that they marched towards the enemy under fire as the primary reason why they are brave (although yes they are brave), i would not consider them the "bravest" by any standard because this was an extremely common thing. Also keep in mind that muskets during the time of the Caroleons was much worse than the weapons of the franco-prussian war and onward and yet soldiers were still doing the same thing in those. Men by the droves running into machine gun fire during ww1 is much worse than marching in lines, taking some casualties than firing back.