Author Topic: Why did the 33rd VA have blue uniforms?  (Read 7916 times)

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
Why did the 33rd VA have blue uniforms?
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:06:19 pm »
Why were the uniforms of the 33rd Virginian Volunteer Regiment blue when it was the colour of the majority of US troops?

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
Re: Why did the 33rd VA have blue uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »
Well if it was the color of the majority of the US army, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »
Virginia was in the Confederacy, GoldenEagle. XD

That question is for Millander, Oscar. He is our community Civil War nut. I also believe he runs the 33rdVA in North and South.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:00 pm »
Understand, that prior to the ACW, all infantry regiments were regular regiments in the US army. Blue and white were the colors used. When the south broke from the north, they were still using federal uniforms and equipment, and since many of the federal military academies were in the south, like the prestigious Virginia Military Institute, where Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson conducted teaching and drill, the uniforms given to the cadets and soldiers were that of "northern" (as we know them) uniforms. It wasn't until a little after the battles at Manassass that the Rebels began recruiting large amounts of volunteers, of which many had no standard uniforms and many wore regular civilian clothes and had to provide their own equipment and guns, that we saw grey become the color of regular infantries. There were reports of the 33rd Virginia being shot at by friendlies because of these blue uniforms. The casualties from friendly fire, I am not sure of. Many battlefields, to poets, journalists, artists, etc., became known as "Fields of Blue and Grey."

That's the best I can say without spending hours of research. This is taken from knowledge. Maybe Millander will pop in and correct/or add to what I said.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:48:14 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »
Thank you, this cleared up some stuff :)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »
They used what they had on hand, and were working on replacing that with their own uniforms. They simply didn't have time to complete the change before the early battles. You'll find quite a few regiments that wore blue for the opening months of the war, before they were issued their proper uniforms.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »
The 33rd was not, nor any of the other CS regiments at Manassas, regular army, but volunteers. In the early days, many regiments (If not all) were made by putting together independent militia companies, each from their own region - and each with their own, sometimes rather foppy, uniforms. The US Regular army was VERY small, and relied heavily on volunteers and part-time militias, which rather came back to bite them in the ACW. The CSA never had a regular army to speak of. On a side note, southerns in the US Regular army were not allowed to leave, though of course there was desertion. Officers could, being commissioned.

Likewise, there were plenty of North regiments that wore grey in the early period. At Manassas, you really couldn't tell the side by their uniforms. Must have been hell.

Virginia Military Institute, where Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson conducted teaching and drill, the uniforms given to the cadets and soldiers were that of "northern" (as we know them) uniforms

The uniforms of the VMI were (and are) grey with black braid. Certainly not the standard fatigue dress that was given out in the North.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:29:53 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:04 pm »
I myself am being the 33rdVA in BcoF. The Emerald Guards were not uniformed or equipped until the they reached Harpers Ferry where they were Mustered with 7 other companies to form "Cummings Battalion". After Manassas they recieved two more companies and became the 33rd. Its safe to say the uniforms were taken at Harpers Ferry which was a Union supply and arms base.

So yeah its because they really that early in the war they received Federal Uniforms seized from Harpers Ferry.

As well with how many union troops wearing grey (majority of the New York, New Hampshire and Wisconsin unit) and many units clad as Zuoves its wasent the worst idea to be clad in blue which actually extremely worked in the 33rd favor when assaulting Rickett's Battery.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:24:18 pm by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »
Violla! There's your answer!

Once again, the Civil War Historian, Millander has saved us once again!

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:07 pm »
Not so fast.

So 1 company of the ten was not uniformed and probably uniformed in Harpers Ferry...but we don't know for sure? How about the other nine? Plus, while I have never done that much research on Harpers Ferry, I never read anything about or have ever been told of a uniform depot in the town. Only a weapon factory.

The companies had silly names (I'm looking at you, Tenth Legion Minute Men), not unbecoming of pre-war militia. If they were, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have (foppy) pre-war uniforms either. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but some proof would be nice. Of course I mean no offense to anyone, I'm just not convinced.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:17:14 pm by Duuring »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:09:23 am »
I have a memoir of a Private who was in Company A 33rd (Potomac Guards). He describes his company as well marching into HF without a uniforms and mentions at Manassas wearing a blue uniform. Its safe to say that company A as well and likely a majority if not all the 33rd were originally clad in left over US army uniforms. A vast majority of the companies of the 33rd were not pre-war millitias. Many of those joined regiment who were raised earlier so it left the 33rd not at regiment strength during Bull Run (8 companies).

And actually the Confederacy did have a regular army Duuring. All the generals in the Confederate Army were CS regulars. The first unit that comes to mind would be the Confederate Marine Corps.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:05:48 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 06:36:19 am »
The VMI uniforms were not a slate gray as most people know, but actually "cadet blue" which was a gray with a blue hue to it and very ornate (compared to what the rest of the army typically wore) black braid.

Spoiler
[close]
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:53 am »
They had a regular army on paper, yes. Which is why I said 'to speak of'.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »
From my understanding, The unit was from Virginia Militia. Don't be confused with Militia and Volunteers. I am talking about one that has probably been around since Revolutionary war or just good enough before Civil War.  It was common to find Virginia Militia in Blue Frock coat and Hardees.

Virginia Militia was reported wearing Blue Frock Coat and Hardees around hanging John Brown.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »
Issued by whom?