Author Topic: Warriors' Matters [Reservations Open!] [Off Topic]  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Warriors' Matters [Reservations Open!] [Off Topic]
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:33:10 pm »

Hey! Yes, you! You seems to be a tough man, a man who deserves more than he has. For how long have you lived in the shadow of others? Of your king, your liege, even of your own brother? But now you have a chance to get what should be yours long ago. A fame, and a fortune! It's your fate, your destiny, so don't be afraid to fight for it!

Description
Warriors' matters is in no way similar to any other game in this forum. It's neither Mafia nor Roll to Dodge, it's even not another BoP game. You don't have to remember any kind of statistics, you don't have to think about any international events or any matters from the past of the game. The only thing that matters is whether you can or cannot describe your actions in interesting way.

In Warrior's matters you're going to take part in series of duels against other players. Each fight will last ten turns and in each turn both players can write one post describing their actions. There are no any statistics, special skills or dice rolls, so the course of fight will depend only on players' actions and answers. After ten turns both players will be asked if they want to continue their duel. If they both agree, then duel will last five more turns. If not, the fight will be finished and GameMaster will create the pool to ask all forum users which player performed more interesting actions and wrote better descriptions of them. The winner will be chosen in this pool and will past to the next round where he will face winners of other duels.

To sum up, this game is like writing a chapter of a fantasy book. All you have to do is to describe your fight in most interesting way and then let users decide if they like your writing. What you have to remember is that you can only describe actions of your own character, don't try to enforce your opponent to do what you want by writing about his actions - GameMaster will have to intervene in such situation. You also have to remember, that you don't really want to make your character win the fight - it doesn't matter which character seems to win at the end of battle, only users' votes matter. So don't make your character too powerful, maybe even consider letting your enemy hurt you or destroy your gear if it will allow you to make story more interesting.

Of course at least two players are needed to start this game, but any number can take part as we can perform many duels simultaneously.

Creating character
This game is not set in any particular times or universe. Feel free to create characters from any historical era or fantasy universe you like. In case of historical settings please don't go beyond half of 19th century and in case of fantasy universe make sure that historical counterpart of your world doesn't exceed that period. If you choose fantasy settings please make sure that it's well known world or describe all important matters during creation of character. Another important fact is that your character have to be able to take part in typical medieval-like duel - so making ranged-only character isn't best idea and you will probably be asked to change it. Beside that, you can make any character you want either on horse or on foot, a bearded viking, mysterious wizard or an elegant officer of Napoleon's guard.

Applications
To join the game just fill this form and post it in this topic. Remember, that there are no any statistics in this game. All informations from this form are there only to let your enemy know who he is fighting against, what he can expect and how he can interact with your character. It's also a sample of your writing skills so please take some time to make your application complex and interesting.

Name:
Appearence:
History:
Equipment:
Skills:
English level:

In the last field please describe your English level, not of your character. It is there for GameMaster to make it easier to pair players. Just let me know if your English is on basic, intermediate, communicative, fluent or native level.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:32:27 pm by Raddeo »
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Warrior's matters [reservations open]
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »
Currently Playing Season 1:
Jean-Baptiste de Villiers (The Mighty McLovin)
William "The Doctor" Kingston (DoctorWarband)
Youxia (Portals)
Thorstein Hoskuldsson (Raddeo)

Currently Enrolled for Season 2:
Jean-Baptiste de Villiers (The Mighty McLovin)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:33:05 pm by Raddeo »

Offline Stark99

• Major
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/groups/allagainst63econspiracy#
  • Nick: [3DM] Stark [79th]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
Very intresting!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:55:03 pm by Stark99 »
Stark. For being a supporter of the IRA I will not permit you to take part in any forum games I GM.
DOWN WITH DUURING

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:53:20 pm »
Name: Jean-Baptiste de Villiers

Appearance: A youthful man, in his early twenties, skinny cheeks. Brown eyes, a big nose. His hair on his head was ginger, reasonably sized, and forms a huge beard on his face.

History: He was born in 1785, in a small village in Southern France to a veteran dad, who served during the Seven Years' War where he lost his leg, and a farmer woman. He had two elder brothers and three younger brothers and another two younger sisters. He joined the French Army in 1803, the same year of the crowning of Napoleon, into the 15th Infantry Regiment. It was during the Third Coalition, and Jean-Baptiste fought valiantly at the famous battles of Ulm and Austerlitz, right the way through until the end of the year, where he was promoted into the grenadier company of the regiment in 1806.

When peace was made, Jean-Baptiste returned to his home village for a few months before the war broke out. During the campaign, he helped with labour: broke in gates, chopped gaps in palisades, built small bridges or destroyed them, broke garden walls and created loopholes. He might as well have been a sapper, and he was, when he was promoted in 1807. He served as a sapper in the devastating defeat for the Prussians at Jena-Auerstedt and was overjoyed when peace was made.

Equipment: An axe, stick of dynamite, an antique flintlock pistol found off a dead Prussian

Skills:: Fierce warcry, very strong and heavy

English level: I am fluent in English.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:16:36 pm by The Mighty McLovin »

Offline Stark99

• Major
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/groups/allagainst63econspiracy#
  • Nick: [3DM] Stark [79th]
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:55:12 pm »
Name: Erik "Ironfish" Rivers
Appearence: Blonde hair, muscular, tall.
History: Erik born in 849 AD, was the son of a poor fisherman in the village of Skane, in Danmark. He became ambitious and began training with viking raiders and set off to raid in Britain and Ireland in his late teen. During this time he acquired many skills in combat and survival, later on in his life in his mid 30's, Erik recieved a offer to join the Varangian Guard in Constantinople of course he could not turn down the offer the join such a prestigious order.
Equipment: Longsword, Round Shield, 4 Throwing Axes. Chain mail armor and a helmet.
Skills: Very good at sword combat, good throwing hand, good initiative, Strong and bulky.
English level: I assume this is my English level? If so fluent.
Stark. For being a supporter of the IRA I will not permit you to take part in any forum games I GM.
DOWN WITH DUURING

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »
Woah, we have first players. I think that we'll wait few days to see how many we can gather and then we'll start with first duels.

The Mighty McLovin, it's your English level in the last field, not of your character :D As main task in this game is to write good and interesting story in English, it will be useful for me to know how well you can speak this tongue.

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 05:27:57 pm »
Oh ok, fluent then.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:29:50 pm »
Name: William "The Doctor" Kingston
Appearance: Sexy
History: Born in 1890, William lived in a tough neighborhood where had to fight for everything he had to survive. He learned to how shoot a gun, how to wield a knife and how to break people's faces open when he was only 10 years old. After realizing he had a skill for breaking people's faces, he went on and learned Martial Arts up to the age of 26, aka up until today.
Equipment: A Magnum with how much ammo that is reasonable to carry. A small military knife he stole from a kid at the neighborhood. 2 brass knuckles.
Skills: Very good ground and pound tactics. Decent in boxing. Quick knife attacks. Likes to aim for the limbs. Breaking people's faces in.
English level: I would say fluent.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:40:46 pm by DoctorWarband »
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors' matters [reservations open]
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
So we have three players for now. If no one new joins, then I'll make my own character so we will have two pairs. And we'll start tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

DoctorWarband, I'm afraid I have to ask you to change your character a bit. As I've said in the first post, upper limit for historical setting of character is about half of 19th century. As far as I know Magnum guns weren't invented until half of 20th century. The reason why I've decided to limit everything to about 1850 is because repeating firearms aren't best choice for medieval-like duels. Also decline of traditional melee weapons is a problem of those times. So if it's not a big problem for you, I'd ask you to alter it a bit.

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:15:55 pm »
So we have three players for now. If no one new joins, then I'll make my own character so we will have two pairs. And we'll start tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

DoctorWarband, I'm afraid I have to ask you to change your character a bit. As I've said in the first post, upper limit for historical setting of character is about half of 19th century. As far as I know Magnum guns weren't invented until half of 20th century. The reason why I've decided to limit everything to about 1850 is because repeating firearms aren't best choice for medieval-like duels. Also decline of traditional melee weapons is a problem of those times. So if it's not a big problem for you, I'd ask you to alter it a bit.

It would be best to ban all firearms. I chose a French sapper, and I could have chosen a musket, but I didn't.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:39:17 pm »
But loading of such early firearm takes at least several seconds. So in fact it can be fired just once (or twice if someone is stubborn enough to describe it) before enemy comes close enough to start melee fight if he wants. So it can be easily used to make fight more interesting (bullet can hit a shield, can miss, can just hurt you, enemy can write how his character is surprised by such weapon, etc). And as in this game it's all about players imaginations and ability to write, then it's not a big problem, that someone fires at you once or twice with quite inaccurate weapon. But I can't think about any way to describe how you survive a series of six shots from revolver from half of 20th century.
You did a great thing, you could make stronger character, with musket, pistol, cannon and a barrel of TNT, but you didn't to maintain a game's atmosphere. And that's what we have to expect from all players, creating more bans won't change anything in my opinion. If someone wants to destroy the game and be overpowered superman, he will also without a gun ;)

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
But loading of such early firearm takes at least several seconds. So in fact it can be fired just once (or twice if someone is stubborn enough to describe it) before enemy comes close enough to start melee fight if he wants. So it can be easily used to make fight more interesting (bullet can hit a shield, can miss, can just hurt you, enemy can write how his character is surprised by such weapon, etc). And as in this game it's all about players imaginations and ability to write, then it's not a big problem, that someone fires at you once or twice with quite inaccurate weapon. But I can't think about any way to describe how you survive a series of six shots from revolver from half of 20th century.
You did a great thing, you could make stronger character, with musket, pistol, cannon and a barrel of TNT, but you didn't to maintain a game's atmosphere. And that's what we have to expect from all players, creating more bans won't change anything in my opinion. If someone wants to destroy the game and be overpowered superman, he will also without a gun ;)

Could I edit my character? :P

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
  • Nick: J
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:55:32 pm »
This is my jam. I'll be making a character shortly.
Even duct tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the sound.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:26:30 pm »
The Mighty McLovin, of course, feel free to change it if you want to. But if you add mentioned barrel of TNT, I'll lock a thread and it will be over, I warn you :D

The J, great, we'll probably start in two days so you have some time to create your character. Btw. I've seen your game too, I even wanted to join, but those statistics, calculations, skills, etc. terrified me. I hope that you don't feel like I've stolen your idea ;)

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »
The Mighty McLovin, of course, feel free to change it if you want to. But if you add mentioned barrel of TNT, I'll lock a thread and it will be over, I warn you :D

Just a stick of dynamite.