Author Topic: Movie & TV Show Critic Thread  (Read 63550 times)

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
Movie & TV Show Critic Thread
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:24:08 am »
This is quite different from the normal threads I make but i felt that there should be a place to critique movies. I, myself am an avid movie watcher with very broad tastes. I've seen more movies than most people will ever see in their life time (not sure if that's a good thing).

Post here movies that you've seen, movies you've enjoyed or hated, or just general critiques of movies.

Side Note: This really shouldn't be a thread filled with salt. It's just a movie thread, so keep it about movies please. You can introduce SOME politics and religion as long as it related to a MOVIE and your critique of it.

An example of a fair critique: I think Micheal Moore's Bowling for Columbine had some fair points to be made about guns in the united states but it was mostly biased, liberal bullshit used to push a very specific agenda. The movie had very little focus as it was a movie about guns, yet it contradicts itself by saying that the film is not about getting rid of guns. Beyond this he make no real point as to what the solution should be. He points to how the media is the problem for constantly showing violence on television, he also makes the implication that video games are also part of the problem (despite overwhelming evidence against it), this is clear case of 'Correlation not equaling Causation.' More violence on TV does not mean that TV causes more violence.

Poll 1 Results:
How would you rate Star Wars Episode VII out of 5
1      0 (0%)
2      3 (25%)
3      2 (16.7%)
3.5   2 (16.7%)
4      3 (25%)
4.5   2 (16.7%)
5      0 (0%)

Poll 2 Results:
Did George Lucas do a good job with the star wars prequels?
Yes                                                         4 (21.1%)
No                                                          4 (21.1%)
UNLIMITED POWER!!! (counts as yes)  3 (15.8%)
JarJar Binks (counts as no)                    8 (42.1%)

12 Voted NO
7 Voted YES

Poll 3 Results:
Have you seen Boardwalk Empire? If so, did you think it was good?
I have not seen Boardwalk Empire                             16 (66.7%)
I have seen Boardwalk Empire, it was great!             4 (16.7%)
I have seen Boardwalk Empire, it was okay.                0 (0%)
I have seen Boardwalk Empire, it wasn't very good.   4 (16.7%)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:30:42 pm by Gluk the Walrus »

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
Re: Movie Critic Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:44:42 am »
o i watched that movie. One of my liberal high school teachers that wanted a complete gun ban made us watch that. This was like my freshman year when i was still developing my opinion on gun control.

has anyone seen his Trump one?
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:20:19 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing Nocturnal Animals, and also Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them which is also coming out soon. The only film I'm genuinely excited about though is Dunkirk which doesn't come out until 2017-looks quite good and I really like Christopher Nolan films (in my opinion he's the best director in the industry).

Don't really have a personal 'best film of all time', though my favourite movies are The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Inception, Shawshank Redemption, Star Wars originals, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Alien, plus some others.

In terms of a film I disliked, probably the new Star Wars. I mean it was okay, but it wasn't anything special, and I don't understand why J J Abrams is getting so much praise for it.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:18 am »
I enjoyed the last star wars movie.  I don't consider it an all time best movie but it was good imo.  i think a lot of people liked it due to them not liking how episodes 1-3 were.(many did not like them.  i personally enjoyed them but didn't care for the love focused story)  many consider it an improvement, maybe even a revival of the franchise.   I doubt i will see another movie until Rouge one comes out. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:33:59 am »
Personally phantom menace was a disgrace to the series and is my least favorite star wars movie. In my opinion

I < III < II < VI <VII < IV < V

Its hard to really say though what should go in the middle but im pretty certain that 1 is my least favorite and 5 is my favorite.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:54:42 am »
I thought most people thought 3 was a lot better than 2. I didn't like 7 that much.
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 05:09:38 am »
I thought most people thought 3 was a lot better than 2. I didn't like 7 that much.
I go back and forth on 2 and 3. They are probably equal in my book to be honest. 2 was a little dull at parts but it introduced the concept of the clone wars which was necessary and the 6 year old in me still likes the big battle scene. The plot is not good enough to deem it anything higher though. I don't know, 3 might be better than 2.

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggHoXaj8BQHIiPmOxezeWA/videos Channel that I really love and have been subbed to for a while that reviews historical movies.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:41:08 am by Bravescot »

Offline Gamboji

• Donator
  • zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 12:50:07 pm »
Gattaca

Set in a future where parents can alter the genes of their children before they're born. Follows a man who assumes the identity of genetically superior person to try and achieve his dream of going into space.
3/5 Quite alright, despite horrible cover art.

Casablanca

Set in 1941 before the US entered the war, in Casablanca, Morocco. It follows an American nightclub owner who finds himself in a dilemma involving a former lover.
5/5 Great, if you can stand not knowing what color his fedora is.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Set some time in the early 1900's in the fictional Republic of Zubrowka. It follows the charismatic concierge of the Grand Budapest, accompanied by his lobby boy, on an adventure during the eve of war.
4/5 An acquired taste.

Alien: The 8th Passenger

Set in the distant future where man can traverse the stars, on the spacecraft Nostromo. It follows the crew of the Nostromo as they encounter a mysterious planet and discover a new passenger aboard their ship.
5/5 In space no one can hear you scream.

Most of you have probably seen these already, but I just figured I'd add them. I'll do some quck mentions as well:
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels 4/5
Trainspotting 4/5
A Clockwork Orange 5/5
Léon The Professional 3/5
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 4/5
To Kill A Mocking Bird 4/5
Edge of Tomorrow 4/5
Moonrise Kingdom 3/5
Aliens 5/5
Shutter Island 3/5
Reservoir Dogs 4/5
Pulp Fiction 5/5
The Revenant 3/5
Platoon 4/5
Full Metal Jacket 5/5
Nice place to look for good movies to watch: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:33:18 pm by Skills4Evil »

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 01:25:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggHoXaj8BQHIiPmOxezeWA/videos Channel that I really love and have been subbed to for a while that reviews historical movies.
I follow this channel religiously.

Skills, i've seen quite a few of the movies you listed although it's been a long time. I should probably go back and rewatch Clockwork Orange, i liked it when i first saw it but i thought it was really fucking weird at the time.

I pretty much agree with your list except I would give Reservoir Dogs a 5/5. It's like Pulp Fictions underrated cousin who is still just as good imo. Pulp Fiction was a bit more quirky at times (like the dance scene) while Reservoir Dogs was a tad bit more serious. Out of curiosity, what is your thought on Hateful Eight? I liked it a lot personally but some people have given it much more negative reviews, the beginning was a slow and the sequence of events was a bit odd but that's something you can often expect in a Tarantino film. Have you seen it? If so, what did you think?

Offline Gamboji

• Donator
  • zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 02:24:03 pm »
If anything, I think Reservoir Dogs is somewhat overrated.

I didn't care too much for The Hateful Eight. It was a little slow and the way the characters acted seemed completely senseless at times, along with their timing. The way the story was told didn't appeal to me either.

I'm kinda torn about it, but on the 1-5 scale I think it's a 2.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:58:05 pm »
I mean it clearly wasn't his best work but i would probably give it a 2.5-3/5 I'm just saying that it wasn't a bad film but it wasn't particularly good either. I still liked it either way.

Reservoir Dogs is overrated among Tarantino fanboys (like myself) but what most people remember when it comes to Tarantino films is either pulp fiction or django...and maybe kill bill.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »
Never seen Pulp Fiction nor Reservoir Dogs. I should probably take the time to watch them.

The main reason I like Tarentino films is I always have a sense of re watch ability after watching Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds and The Hateful Eight. I have also seen both Kill Bills at least twice but that was because I didn't really remember what happened 10 years after watching them last. The twists and turns he puts in always give me a smile when I watch them.

To reply to the conversation about Star Wars yesterday my way personally would be: III < I < II < VII < V < VI < IV

I personally enjoyed the first movie as it was the first Star Wars I ever watched. However I think III is a pile of dog shit with bad CGI as well as the directors in-ability to make sure that the scenes gel well together.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline KillerShark

• First Lieutenant
  • THE KillerShark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:55:12 pm »
My top 5 movies are:

1: Gladiator
2: Braveheart
3: The Patriot
4: LOTR trilogy
5: Anchorman movies

I would recommend these movies to any and all of you.
Former: 29th CSjt, 12th Cpl, Nr37 Kpl, 21eme SoD, 18th LtCol, 1stMN/64th SgtMaj, 23rdPA SgtMaj, 45e CplFo, 78th ESO, 29th Capt, 57th Kgm, LG Fus, 71st Cpl, 34e SoD, 2ndQF LCpl, LG Uffz, Nr4 Gmnr, 98e SoD, 75e Fus, 18e FusV, 47th Grd, and 21st Pte.

Self Proclaimed best movement key player NA

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:03 am »

2 is cringeworthy as fuck, 3 was infinitely superior to both 1 and 2

II<I<VII<III<VI<V<IV imo

For those who like samurai and ancient china movies.

Spoiler
Ran - 10/10, its a master piece
Yojimbo
Red Cliff 1 and 2
13 Assassins
Saving General Yang
Seven Samurai
14 Blades
[close]

Some Korean/Japanese gang movies

Spoiler
A Dirty Carnival
Friend
Friend 2
Rough Cut
The New World
Inside Men
A Company Man
Crows Zero
Crows Zero 2
Outrage
Outrage beyond
[close]

On the topic of Samurai movies, The Last Samurai wasn't particularly a masterpiece but I enjoyed it.

2016 has been full of disappointments.

Civil War lived up to expectations for me (but didn't partcularly blow me away) and Deadpool was a blast. Doctor Strange was executed very well considering the oddity of the material and lesser name recognition.

10 Cloverfield Lane was really really good imho and deserves a watch. Don't read any spoilers beforehand if possible.

DC's offerings were pure disappointment. BVS was barely coherent nonsensical rushed garbage and Suicide Squad was the first movie I can recall walking out of.

I hear Hacksaw Ridge is really good so I'll probably give that a watch. Looking forward to Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One which both seem promising.

Independence Day: Resurgence was pretty shitty tbh. They took out all the campy but enjoyable shit that made the first one so delightfully terrible.

Ghostbusters was... Ghostbusters... Fuck that steaming pile of trash.

Star Trek Beyond was meh.

Sausage Party was better than I expected and was really funny.

Arrival seems interesting, might see it when I see Hacksaw Ridge.

Snowden was deeply disturbing and thought provoking, would recommend.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:22:23 am by junedragon »
Why am I still here