Author Topic: Unban nickfaargus or SourCreamAndBenadryl or NickXethos  (Read 2532 times)

Offline nickfaargus

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Unban nickfaargus or SourCreamAndBenadryl or NickXethos
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:06 am »
Taargus is not my account and this is not an unban request for him. I simply mentioned him because I thought you had banned me because of the incident involving him.

As for myself, I impersonated one time for which I received a kick and a warning. I did not to my knowledge continue to impersonate anyone, unless you are referring to the name NickXethos which isn't even an attempt at impersonation. Therefore, I have not ignored the rule not to impersonate twice and should not be banned for 2 months for a presumed repeat offense that occurred only the one time.

One more thing that I would like to understand regarding my impersonation. Both people, the one I tricked in the impersonation and the one I impersonated, are friends of mine. Those people of course being Niles and Yooper. Both parties had no problem with my impersonation because it was a harmless joke. I simply said in chat something along the lines of "Yooper, its me Niles" and that was it. We shared a laugh as we were in the same teamspeak at the time and then continued playing. So, my question to you is since no one cared that I "impersonated" should I still be punished for what seems to me to be a trivial matter?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 08:57:25 am »
Impersonating is the worst rule one can break.  Not only can it effect you, but the people you impersonate in a very negative way.  You may of done it as a joke, but that is irrelevant.  You broke the rules, you pay the price.  You should of listened to the warning.

and no, you continued to say you were someone you were not the next day.  I am not talking about your name.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline nickfaargus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 09:06:42 am »
"Not only can it effect you, but the people you impersonate in a very negative way." I literally just explained why this is irrelevant. How did it effect me or the people I impersonate? I told you no one cared, which is the truth. Also could you show me the exact cases in which I was impersonating (quotes from the logs)?

Who is John Galt?

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
"Not only can it effect you, but the people you impersonate in a very negative way." I literally just explained why this is irrelevant. How did it effect me or the people I impersonate? I told you no one cared, which is the truth. Also could you show me the exact cases in which I was impersonating (quotes from the logs)?

How you feel about it, or how they feel about it is irrelevant.  Impersonating, in any manner, is strongly frowned upon by the owner of the server.  It is the worst rule one can break and is treated accordingly.  You may not like it, and that is fine, but you broke the rules, and you pay the price.

Here is you claiming to be Niles from the 94th on the 11th, after being kicked for doing the same thing the day before.

22:01:19 - *DEAD* [NickXethos] YOOPER

22:01:31 - *DEAD* [NickXethos] ITS ME NILES

This case has been handled.  If you have have a complaint about the rules, take it to the proper place.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline nickfaargus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
I respect this method of applying for an unban. It is a very smart system that allows the admins to assess the player's story in order to solve problems on a case by case basis. Therefore, you should treat each case as unique(the way the system was intended to be run or at least the way it seems to be run). Now I can understand that impersonation can be harmful, IF someone was offended in some way by it. That being said, in this particular situation that simply wasn't the case. I have a problem with the fact that I feel my case was unfairly judged by you. Now that is because it was simply a harmless joke and no party involved cared. I cannot stress enough the fact that NO ONE cared. Now if someone had cared that would be a different story and of course I might understand the absurdly long ban. But in this case that is not how things happened. The rule should apply in cases in which one of the parties involved actually cared. I am sorry for impersonating someone that I was not and will not continue this trend. But I implore you to reconsider your decision to ban me until October, seeing as how people are banned for much shorter terms for saying slurs, ruining or interrupting gameplay, etc. that actually offend people.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:43 pm »
Now I can understand that impersonation can be harmful, IF someone was offended in some way by it. snip Now that is because it was simply a harmless joke and no party involved cared. I cannot stress enough the fact that NO ONE cared. Now if someone had cared that would be a different story and of course I might understand the absurdly long ban.

Like with other rules for official servers, impersonation is a slippery slope. Maybe you think that this was a harmless case, but what if an impersonator starts saying things that start to be more edgy (as often happens in the server)? Impersonation has the potential to harm the impersonated's reputation, to get them in trouble with their reg (if they're in one) and admins. It can become more difficult to be sure that the impersonated really is who he is, if we allow other people to claim his identity.

So maybe your case was mild, but we take impersonation very seriously in the official servers, so as to make sure nothing bad comes from it (whether it was malicious or not). I'm sure you've reread the rules already, but let me quote the relevant part:

- Do not impersonate any other individual or group. Doing so will be treated harshly, regardless of intention or excuse.

When you join an official server, you're agreeing to abide by its rules. That you broke a rule and got punished is solely your own fault, and that punishment will not be remitted simply because you were messing around with your friends and didn't necessarily have malicious intent. Find a way to have fun with them in a way that doesn't break the rules.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.

Offline nickfaargus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:40 am »
Like with other rules for official servers, impersonation is a slippery slope. Maybe you think that this was a harmless case, but what if an impersonator starts saying things that start to be more edgy (as often happens in the server)? Impersonation has the potential to harm the impersonated's reputation, to get them in trouble with their reg (if they're in one) and admins. It can become more difficult to be sure that the impersonated really is who he is, if we allow other people to claim his identity.

Let me pose this simple question. Why did impersonation originally become a rule? Because as far as I'm concerned this is an unfair ban for a case that I have laid out very logically for you guys. None of the negative outcomes that can occur from impersonation actually apply in this case. It is completely ridiculous to ban me for 2 months when I did not damage anyones reputation or cause anyone grief by acting like I was someone else.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:05 am »

Let me pose this simple question. Why did impersonation originally become a rule? Because as far as I'm concerned this is an unfair ban for a case that I have laid out very logically for you guys. None of the negative outcomes that can occur from impersonation actually apply in this case. It is completely ridiculous to ban me for 2 months when I did not damage anyones reputation or cause anyone grief by acting like I was someone else.

- Do not impersonate any other individual or group. Doing so will be treated harshly, regardless of intention or excuse.

No where does it say you can impersonate, even if it's a joke.  In fact, it says the opposite.

Take your complaint about the rules to the proper place(PM deofuta).  You can try and lawyer about the rules with him.   this thread is about you being unbanned.

i can tell you right now, one of the individuals involved has expressed they were not happy about the impersonating.  Nor were they happy about you lying in ts, trying to convince an admin that the person in server and TS was the real Yooper, when it wasn't.  They also were not happy about you speaking in their name here in this thread.

I can not say all this is good for the people you impersonated, the people you got involved, or for you and your friend.  I would say it the opposite.

I will unlock this at some point in the future.

This case has been handled, so there shouldn't be any more posting in this thread until the unban date.  With the exceptions of witnesses who want to post.

If i some how forget to unlock this, send me a PM with the link to thread to be unbanned.

Offline nickfaargus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 11:03:09 pm »
Snip
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:36:56 am by Thunderstormer »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 12:38:24 am »
Congrats, you just earned yourself 3 more days of being banned.

If you continue to act like a child, your ban length will be even longer or the possibility to never be unbanned.