Author Topic: STRENGTH OF THE CONFEDERATE ARMIES & MORE TAKE A LOOK !  (Read 8977 times)

Offline 72ndPA

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: STRENGTH OF THE CONFEDERATE ARMIES & MORE TAKE A LOOK !
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »
What's with the massive thread? :P
Ikr, he should do a Union one now at least.
Working on it

Offline Melsyo

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The KILLER ANDD KID FISTO
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 11thTX_Cpt_Melsyo, 15th_YR_Lt
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
What's with the massive thread? :P
Ikr, he should do a Union one now at least.
Working on it
The union isn't deserving
Wtf wht did you said... I have leave the serveur maybe because I must eat  ? chut up man

Offline Ry1459

• Captain
  • Think about it TWICE.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ry1459
  • Side: Union

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 05:16:41 am »
Texas Fielded 37 regiments of Cavalry not 28.
source: http://gen.1starnet.com/civilwar/texmain.htm

Another thing to note is that your battle casualty rates are a bit misleading. For example you mention the first Texas which did indeed suffer the listed casualty rate but that was only for the few companies that participated. This somewhat downplays other regiments like the 26th North Carolina that only suffered 71%, but with the entire regiment participating making them the highest number of casulties suffered.

Offline gmanburger

• Sergeant
  • 20% Skill. 80% Luck.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gman
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:34 am »

Another thing to note is that your battle casualty rates are a bit misleading. For example you mention the first Texas which did indeed suffer the listed casualty rate but that was only for the few companies that participated. This somewhat downplays other regiments like the 26th North Carolina that only suffered 71%, but with the entire regiment participating making them the highest number of casulties suffered.

Don't mess with Incog he knows his shit

Offline 72ndPA

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 08:01:19 am »

dont try to over sale the 26th NC just because your in it

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »

Oversell?

Gotta admit, that is a sick way to look at things.

Offline Jonny Powers

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 06:19:40 pm »

Well, if we're here "overselling" (read: fact checking to the best of our ability) our regiments, I decided to check up on the 5th Georgia's numbers.

Regiment: 5th Georgia
Battle: Chickamauga
Division: Cheatham's
Strength: 317
Killed: 27
Wounded: 165
Missing: 2
(Casualty?)%: 61.1

In my research, I found that, while your numbers for the 5th Georgia's strength (referred to as Total Effective in the War Dept. records) are correct, your percentage didn't match up. According to The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 30 (Part II) (linked at the end of my post), the percentage is 54.95, not 61.1. Doing a little math, I found that the percentage is calculated to reflect the Aggregate Effective numbers, which is, as far as I can tell, the sum total strength of the force when in battle. With this in mind, I assume the number of dead, wounded, and missing to also be taken from the Aggregate numbers, not the Total. Why there are 2 different numbers, I don't know. If someone can explain the difference between the two I'd be grateful!

Relevant table of casualties

Report of Col. Daniel, 5th Georgia Infantry

Article on the 5th Georgia's War Record, originally appearing in America's Civil War with relevant info highlighted

Chickamauga, A short film made by Robert Enrico based on the battle. Not relevant info-wise, but cool nontheless :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:35:54 pm by Jonny Powers »

Offline 72ndPA

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 08:12:42 am »

Well, if we're here "overselling" (read: fact checking to the best of our ability) our regiments, I decided to check up on the 5th Georgia's numbers.

Regiment: 5th Georgia
Battle: Chickamauga
Division: Cheatham's
Strength: 317
Killed: 27
Wounded: 165
Missing: 2
(Casualty?)%: 61.1

In my research, I found that, while your numbers for the 5th Georgia's strength (referred to as Total Effective in the War Dept. records) are correct, your percentage didn't match up. According to The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1 - Volume 30 (Part II) (linked at the end of my post), the percentage is 54.95, not 61.1. Doing a little math, I found that the percentage is calculated to reflect the Aggregate Effective numbers, which is, as far as I can tell, the sum total strength of the force when in battle. With this in mind, I assume the number of dead, wounded, and missing to also be taken from the Aggregate numbers, not the Total. Why there are 2 different numbers, I don't know. If someone can explain the difference between the two I'd be grateful!

Relevant table of casualties

Report of Col. Daniel, 5th Georgia Infantry

Article on the 5th Georgia's War Record, originally appearing in America's Civil War with relevant info highlighted

Chickamauga, A short film made by Robert Enrico based on the battle. Not relevant info-wise, but cool nontheless :D

Thanks for input