Author Topic: World Politics Thread - Round 2  (Read 20348 times)

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: World Politics Thread - Round 2
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »
Personnaly I would always vote for a centre-right leadership, and I think we will see Juppe taking the presidency over Fillon, despite Pen's appeal. Oh and can everyone stop giving the UK a hard time, please forgive for brexit! :'(

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 11:48:08 pm »
Just look at him

In his defence, he looked like this long before he even split from the liberals in 2004.

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 11:49:28 pm »
Just look at him

In his defence, he looked like this long before he even split from the liberals in 2004.
Wow, that's quite the resemblance.

Norwegian13

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 11:49:56 pm »
Personnaly I would always vote for a centre-right leadership, and I think we will see Juppe taking the presidency over Fillon, despite Pen's appeal. Oh and can everyone stop giving the UK a hard time, please forgive for brexit! :'(

Brexit wasn't bad at all. Just trigger that article already ;)

Offline DanielG453

• Donator
  • Brexit the Greatest political victory since 1979!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanielG453
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 11:50:40 pm »
Le Pen is nothing but a homophobic collarborator-in-waiting funded by Putin.

Before we have the French and German elections, there will be parliamentary elections in my country on March the 15th, which will probably be seen as an indicator for the outcome of the German and French elections. Polls show a very splintered result. A three-party centre-right coalition or a four to five-party centre-left coalition are the most likely outcomes. Nobody has much faith in Dutch Trump Wilders.

I don't see what Le Pens stance on gay marriage has to do with this. I think Brexit and the election of President Elect Donald J Trump are a watershed moment for the world; this is why I believe the elections in France and Germany will lead to the end of the broken and the corrupt European Union.  Reflected in the words of Donald Trump  "The nation-state remains the true foundation for happiness and harmony." the dangerous dream of a United States of Europe is coming to and end.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 11:55:23 pm »
We'll see.

Offline DanielG453

• Donator
  • Brexit the Greatest political victory since 1979!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanielG453
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 11:56:11 pm »
Why would you ask for forgiveness for democracy, Brexit is a great opportunity for Britain. Secondly, the cause of European integration is one Britain never requested to be a part of, respect the vote and decision made by our people. Hold your head high and be proud to be British!

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:51 am »
Spoiler

Before we have the French and German elections, there will be parliamentary elections in my country on March the 15th, which will probably be seen as an indicator for the outcome of the German and French elections. Polls show a very splintered result. A three-party centre-right coalition or a four to five-party centre-left coalition are the most likely outcomes. Nobody has much faith in Dutch Trump Wilders.

I don't see what Le Pens stance on gay marriage has to do with this. I think Brexit and the election of President Elect Donald J Trump are a watershed moment for the world; this is why I believe the elections in France and Germany will lead to the end of the broken and the corrupt European Union.  Reflected in the words of Donald Trump  "The nation-state remains the true foundation for happiness and harmony." the dangerous dream of a United States of Europe is coming to and end.
[close]
Coming to an end, yes. But a better end? Now we just have a bunch of rag-tag states, with in my opinion silly leaders (Trump) with exactly zero political knowledge or experience, and they will most likely just ruin everything, long serving, dedicated representatives have attempted to build for years such as the EU which really only had a lot of good going for it. Brexit has just triggered all the salty Europeans to give the UK a hard Brexit which will in turn cause significant economic damage, and will in no way help anybody in the UK. For years people complain about, corrupt, unrepresentative politicians and they think voting in complete baboons is any better? Absolutely baffling in my opinion. :(

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 12:03:23 am »
Why would you ask for forgiveness for democracy, Brexit is a great opportunity for Britain. Secondly, the cause of European integration is one Britain never requested to be a part of, respect the vote and decision made by our people. Hold your head high and be proud to be British!
I know I mixed US politics back there, I apologise. However it still remains the same Brexit was stupid just consider that the majority of Parliament disagree, and that we have seen nothing, nothing postive come of Brexit yet.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 12:04:37 am »
I think Fillon is going to win the second round of the primary-he got over 40% in the first round and Sarkozy has endorsed him, so I can't see Juppe in with much of a chance. Le Pen will probably win the first round of the general, so I think the main thing here is a) by how much she wins, and b) who comes second.

It's also incredible that Merkel is standing for a fourth term as Chancellor, mainly because her own MPs are saying there's nobody else within the party who has the standing to take over. Likewise she has no serious rival in the opposition parties either. Really quite bizarre that a woman who's been in office since 2005 has no opponent in a nation of 80 million people-either she's the luckiest politician alive or at the very least she's purged/sidelined potential challengers within her own party (in that sense putting a 74 year old, wheelchair-bound cripple in as finance minister was a smart move).

Norwegian13

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 12:09:23 am »
Spoiler

[close]
Coming to an end, yes. But a better end? Now we just have a bunch of rag-tag states, with in my opinion silly leaders (Trump) with exactly zero political knowledge or experience, and they will most likely just ruin everything, long serving, dedicated representatives have attempted to build for years such as the EU which really only had a lot of good going for it. Brexit has just triggered all the salty Europeans to give the UK a hard Brexit which will in turn cause significant economic damage, and will in no way help anybody in the UK. For years people complain about, corrupt, unrepresentative politicians and they think voting in complete baboons is any better? Absolutely baffling in my opinion. :(

Well, "unexperienced" leaders mean that they will give the politics a new point of view, meaning that it's not necessarily a bad thing. The idea of a European superstate is good in theory, but it would never work in practice, such as the great theory of Communism. There are just far too many differences between European nations to make one superstate work. And to be honest, I don't think the European Union will survive much longer. The rise of Euroscepticism throughout Europe will probably result in many more states leaving the union, and I don't think that it's a bad thing. It's rather positive in my opinion.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 12:10:46 am »
Or maybe she really just is the best candidate?

No candidate has ever won the French Presidential elections in the first round, and Sarkozy was the first in decades to win more then 30% in the first round. Le Pen's poll's average is a little under 30%. Undoubtly they may be off by a few percent, but 20% seems more like wishful thinking.

Well, "unexperienced" leaders mean that they will give the politics a new point of view, meaning that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Oh my sweet summer child.

There are just far too many differences between European nations to make one superstate work.

Which is why nobody is argueing for a superstate. The Federalists are called the Federalists for a reason.

Norwegian13

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 12:13:32 am »
Or maybe she really just is the best candidate?

No candidate has ever won the French Presidential elections in the first round, and Sarkozy was the first in decades to win more then 30% in the first round. Le Pen's poll's average is a little under 30%. Undoubtly they may be of by a few percent, but 20% seems more like wishful thinking.

Well, "unexperienced" leaders mean that they will give the politics a new point of view, meaning that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Oh my sweet summer child.

There are just far too many differences between European nations to make one superstate work.

Which is why nobody is argueing for a superstate. The Federalists are called the Federalists for a reason.

I've heard arguements for a superstate earlier, and even if you perhaps don't stand for it, some do.

Regarding your comment about unexperienced leaders, it's not like Trump doesn't have a full government of experienced politicians to support him along the way, so I don't think we should be way too worried about him being unexperienced. It's not the first time we've seen an unexperienced president come to power.

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 12:17:44 am »
Spoiler
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
Well, "unexperienced" leaders mean that they will give the politics a new point of view, meaning that it's not necessarily a bad thing. The idea of a European superstate is good in theory, but it would never work in practice, such as the great theory of Communism. There are just far too many differences between European nations to make one superstate work. And to be honest, I don't think the European Union will survive much longer. The rise of Euroscepticism throughout Europe will probably result in many more states leaving the union, and I don't think that it's a bad thing. It's rather positive in my opinion.
I'm going to have to disagree yes a euro-superstate is not going to work in practice but I do believe after a hard brexit, most EU countries will be deterred from leaving and it will only cause the EU to "gang up" on the UK and effectively, weaken the country as a whole. Depending on the latest european countries elections we could see the UK becoming horribly insignificant as its trade deals, and EU subsidies abruptly stop.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 12:19:52 am »
I thought he was going to 'drain the swamp' ?

I feel bad for the poorer regions of the United Kingdom who thrived on European subsidies. I doubt the Conservatives are going to make up the difference.