Author Topic: Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch  (Read 54258 times)

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
Re: Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2017, 11:53:08 pm »
Ah I see. Good to see you're still around kicking.

As for my 2 pennies, I can't recall all that well why the community went down again... But maybe it was due to some balancing patches that no one liked, and then also the revolution, combined with lack of update. Which of course as I understand is the reason why this is now going up, correct?

I would honestly try to put up new units and perhaps a new faction, haven't read olafson's post yet, but I think it'd be nice to see more variety and as well a chance to update the roster without changing multiple units at the same time. That's been annoying for a while.

edit: A new game mode might be far fetched, seeing how Iron Europe flopped due to the server demand stress it had.  Honestly can someone remind me why the whole thing went down?
wb, nice to see you again as well. :)

the game only really dropped off in the last year or so in pop in a real noticeable way.    It still has more players than holdfast.  the revolution thing was in the begging of 2013 and didn't kill the game. 

the new units we are adding add  more diversity in looks and maybe even gameplay.   any new units(from you, or others) will only add to it, which is nice. 

things are still being worked on, but we are trying to make the game run better than it was before.  We still have things to do and things to test.

Ah you're right, been trying to recap what's happened here: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=37652.0;topicseen
incase anyone is interested in discussing a bit of a reflection on the current state of the game.

I think for modding, I honestly would just make the uniforms more independent of each other. I understand it's to save memory and space, plus to allow the engine to run smoother, but it has to be worked on. I don't know if Commander mode is still a thing, or if it even works properly at this moment. From my memory, last time it was buggy with units getting stuck or not firing. The lag from just the smoke and the lack of optimization from the engine has left me wondering if my system is just a toaster some times, is that still a problem?

I know this sounds dumb and has been mentioned but has melee been changed in any way? Usually developers constantly change the core aspect of the game to evolve the meta and keep players learning and entranced. Look at CSGO, DOTA, LoL, and really any game ever. I don't think it would hurt NW to change it slightly to force players to reinvent themselves.
As far as I know, not really. The melee I find has been the best melee I have found. Simple yet effective. I think if there were to be any changes to melee, I would look at the medieval game called Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Maybe something to look at or, perhaps the witcher for sword play maybe.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:06:55 am by Thunderstormer »
The first modder for NW.

Norwegian13

« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2017, 11:57:20 pm »

As for my 2 pennies, I can't recall all that well why the community went down again... But maybe it was due to some balancing patches that no one liked, and then also the revolution, combined with lack of update. Which of course as I understand is the reason why this is now going up, correct?

I would honestly try to put up new units and perhaps a new faction, haven't read olafson's post yet, but I think it'd be nice to see more variety and as well a chance to update the roster without changing multiple units at the same time. That's been annoying for a while.

edit: A new game mode might be far fetched, seeing how Iron Europe flopped due to the server demand stress it had.  Honestly can someone remind me why the whole thing went down?

the game only really dropped off in the last year or so in pop in a real noticeable way.    It still has more players than holdfast.  the revolution thing was in the begging of 2013 and didn't kill the game. 

the new units we are adding add  more diversity in looks and maybe even gameplay.   any new units(from you, or others) will only add to it, which is nice. 

things are still being worked on, but we are trying to make the game run better than it was before.  We still have things to do and things to test.

Anyone mind telling me what this revolution thing was all about?

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2017, 11:58:55 pm »

Once upon a time, it was 2013. Everyone got their panties due to a change in how the melee speed was being adjusted. Devs refused to change it, or something alike. People complained, they wanted to boycott. Didn't affect much, it ended up more being a meme in itself honestly.
The first modder for NW.

Norwegian13

« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2017, 12:05:24 am »
Ah, thanks for informing me. Interesting.

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2017, 12:06:45 am »

Once upon a time, it was 2013. Everyone got their panties due to a change in how the melee speed was being adjusted. Devs refused to change it, or something alike. People complained, they wanted to boycott. Didn't affect much, it ended up more being a meme in itself honestly.
It was more then just that  ;), I wasn't there but if you look up the older topics in the Forum/Website section, you'll find the dark side.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:46 am »

It was more then just that  ;), I wasn't there but if you look up the older topics in the Forum/Website section, you'll find the dark side.
There's a lot of context missing in those posts, generally there were jokes that were jokes then. Some might see it as facts now when in those times it was more of a joke and troll. Yes there was some annoyances with the developers at that point in time, but I don't think that evolved to anything big afterwards.

Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong though!
The first modder for NW.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2017, 12:25:18 am »

Ah you're right, been trying to recap what's happened here: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=37652.0;topicseen
incase anyone is interested in discussing a bit of a reflection on the current state of the game.

I think for modding, I honestly would just make the uniforms more independent of each other. I understand it's to save memory and space, plus to allow the engine to run smoother, but it has to be worked on. I don't know if Commander mode is still a thing, or if it even works properly at this moment. From my memory, last time it was buggy with units getting stuck or not firing. The lag from just the smoke and the lack of optimization from the engine has left me wondering if my system is just a toaster some times, is that still a problem?

I know this sounds dumb and has been mentioned but has melee been changed in any way? Usually developers constantly change the core aspect of the game to evolve the meta and keep players learning and entranced. Look at CSGO, DOTA, LoL, and really any game ever. I don't think it would hurt NW to change it slightly to force players to reinvent themselves.
As far as I know, not really. The melee I find has been the best melee I have found. Simple yet effective. I think if there were to be any changes to melee, I would look at the medieval game called Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Maybe something to look at or, perhaps the witcher for sword play maybe.
cb is still a popular game mode.  I enjoy playing it from time to time.  it works properly, and has been improved imo.(even fixed that host a game bug last i checked regarding CBs)  Grozni was kind enough to give us his code on making bots have instruments, and playing them.  Though, at this point, between all the stuff i did, and the other devs, it will be somewhat hard to see his original code left.   We added so many things to it.  Tweaked it. etc,. to suit what we are doing.     The server thread is where i listed all the server side only changes.   It lists a lot of the stuff i did.    With that being said, i haven't updated that thread since we started the client side patch.  Dont want to reveal too much yet.  Not to mention no one would be able to play or do much on there without the new files. 

The biggest problem with CB are server owners having too many bots per squad or players in general on the server combined with the bots.  While we are trying to make the game run better as of the whole(the engine doesn't help either), we cant help those with lower end servers who have the settings way too high for the server they are using.(not every server is like this, but i have been on way way way  too many like this over the years)      Sure, it is really neat seeing all those large lines and what not fighting, but when the server is super laggy, it kills the fun.   Each player, bot, and horse all effect the server.  When you have 500-800 of them, it will lag. 

You will have to talk to olaf about any uniform related stuff. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2017, 12:28:48 am »

cb is still a popular game mode.  I enjoy playing it from time to time.  it works properly, and has been improved imo.(even fixed that host a game bug last i checked regarding CBs)  Grozni was kind enough to give us his code on making bots have instruments, and playing them.  Though, at this point, between all the stuff i did, and the other devs, it will be somewhat hard to see his original code left.   We added so many things to it.  Tweaked it. etc,. to suit what we are doing.     The server thread is where i listed all the server side only changes.   It lists a lot of the stuff i did.    With that being said, i haven't updated that thread since we started the client side patch.  Dont want to reveal too much yet.  Not to mention no one would be able to play or do much on there without the new files. 

The biggest problem with CB are server owners having too many bots per squad or players in general on the server combined with the bots.  While we are trying to make the game run better as of the whole(the engine doesn't help either), we cant help those with lower end servers who have the settings way too high for the server they are using.(not every server is like this, but i have been on way way way  too many like this over the years)      Sure, it is really neat seeing all those large lines and what not fighting, but when the server is super laggy, it kills the fun.   Each player, bot, and horse all effect the server.  When you have 500-800 of them, it will lag. 

You will have to talk to olaf about any uniform related stuff.
I think there's something still missing that people want, but is not being said or seeing properly... I'm not sure...
The first modder for NW.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2017, 12:57:29 am »
I think there's something still missing that people want, but is not being said or seeing properly... I'm not sure...
Idk?  dont know what you are referring to. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2017, 04:42:25 pm »
If you miss something then say it. :P

Most of the problems with commander battle are the high amount of bots and bad server settings, for instance many server owners dont know you have to limit your upstream in server settings or you will have players unable to change weapons for instance. at release ill put up some setting recommendations.

In any case, were putting a lot of content and fixes into the game, which hopefully helps with the longevity.

Offline LX_GDuke AugustR

• Corporal
  • Grand Duke of Luxembourg, I mean Edge
    • View Profile
    • Luxembourgs Foward forums
  • Nick: [3rdHB][LX]GDuke_AugustR
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2017, 07:23:24 pm »
If you miss something then say it. :P

Most of the problems with commander battle are the high amount of bots and bad server settings, for instance many server owners dont know you have to limit your upstream in server settings or you will have players unable to change weapons for instance. at release ill put up some setting recommendations.

In any case, were putting a lot of content and fixes into the game, which hopefully helps with the longevity.
Woot woot

Offline NickyJ

• Major General
  • The Twilight Zone
    • View Profile
  • Nick: LIR_Lieut_NickyJ
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »
It would be much appreciated if light infantry was added to Prussia or Russia. It's still quite often that people complain about skirmisher regiments whenever we use line infantry troops in lights formations.

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2017, 08:37:38 am »
Could you add some spectator functionality like the person's name over their player model so I can tell people apart for frisbee? Maybe add it as an admin function?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:40:22 am by Dan the Seagull Chef »
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2017, 10:06:27 am »
Could you add some spectator functionality like the person's name over their player model so I can tell people apart for frisbee? Maybe add it as an admin function?
not going to happen.  It is only a short step from there to making a way for any player, admin or not, to being able exploit it into giving them an unfair advantage.(not just in your frisbee thing)

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:52 am »
not going to happen.  It is only a short step from there to making a way for any player, admin or not, to being able exploit it into giving them an unfair advantage.(not just in your frisbee thing)
It's already an exploit
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.