Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 144257 times)

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod
« Reply #300 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
Have a question about the weapons, will the muskets have quick -5 second reload times like the muskets of the time or slower to keep it balanced?

I will research, how quickly one could reload musket at that time (rifled muskets of Crimean War are not that different from American Civil War muskets, so I have more materil to research). I have feelng that in NW reload speed is faster than it was in real life. So for now I think that reload speed of Allied rifled muskets will be the same as reload speed of muskets in NW (due to Minie bullets and percussion caps) and accuracy like rifles in NW, smoothbore percussion muskets will have the same reload speed, but accuracy like muskets in NW, Russian Brunswick rifles will have the slowest reload speed (but have more accuracy), and flintlock smoothbore muskets will have slightly slower reload speed than Allied rifled muskets and accuracy like muskets in NW.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2017, 09:38:48 am »
So you to understand what I'm working on now - here are some screenshots. Earth, which falls from these objects to the ground, will be unseen inside merlons, but if merlon will be destroyed (with earth from it filling the ditch - this will be the goal of artillery and sappers - to make breach in the wall and fill ditches with earth so infantry can quickly advance) this earth will be sen, so there will be no bugs like flying traverse.

Spoiler
Traverse I made yesterday (I made it something sililar to traverse on one of the photos of defences near Malakoff Tower)

Spoiler

[close]

Traverse like it is in Totleben's Atlas of defences of Sevastopol and as traverses are on most photos.

Spoiler

[close]

One of merlons (the wall between two embrasures), there will be a lot of them, with different sizes and shapes

Spoiler

[close]

Embrasure (there will be different types of them, especially for Russian fortifications, because at the beginning of siege of Sevastopol there were no gabions at all, so merlons and embrasures were made of barrels, sandbags and metal cicternes (where sailors on their ships kept fresh water) filled with earth.

Spoiler

[close]

[close]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:05:16 am by Ivkolya »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:41 am »
After I make all these prts of Malakoff Tower defences I'll need to make destroyed versions of them, this is a huge amount of mechanical work, but necessary work, so maybe there will be also few and rare updates for some time.

Offline 32nd_Rct_Schinider

• Sergeant Major
  • 32nd_Rct_Schindier At yer service sir!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 32ndte_Rct_Schinider.5thVa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2017, 05:13:21 am »
You continue what you do best, great work on the gabions and the trench works !

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »
Thank you :)

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jan_Pieterszoon_Coen
  • Side: Union
« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2017, 10:17:31 am »
I suggest adding the lancashire fusiliers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Fusiliers

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2017, 01:57:50 pm »
For British army I chose 2 regiments from each division, trying to take 1 regiment from brigade (when there is enough information about that regiment) and maybe this scale will be in other armies. Exception - regiments with interesting uniform, that's why I made uniforms for all the Guards, as example. And from 4th division (where 20th Foot was at the time of Crimean War) I chose 57th regiment (because I have friends - reenactors of that regiment and here is a lot of information about this regiment and photos from reenactments) and 68th regiment (because this regiment distinguished itself in the Inkerman battle). 20th regiment also fought in Inkerman battle along with 68th, but 68th has more interesting uniform (with green kilmarocks), so I chose this regiment over other regiments.
But it is very simple to recolour existing uniforms, they were pretty the same :)

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »
For British army I chose 2 regiments from each division, trying to take 1 regiment from brigade (when there is enough information about that regiment) and maybe this scale will be in other armies. Exception - regiments with interesting uniform, that's why I made uniforms for all the Guards, as example. And from 4th division (where 20th Foot was at the time of Crimean War) I chose 57th regiment (because I have friends - reenactors of that regiment and here is a lot of information about this regiment and photos from reenactments) and 68th regiment (because this regiment distinguished itself in the Inkerman battle). 20th regiment also fought in Inkerman battle along with 68th, but 68th has more interesting uniform (with green kilmarocks), so I chose this regiment over other regiments.
But it is very simple to recolour existing uniforms, they were pretty the same :)
Is the Greek Legion going to be included as well?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 08, 2017, 02:13:47 pm »
Is the Greek Legion going to be included as well?
Sure. But for now I want to finish this one map of final assault on Malakoff, or at least finish all scene props for it, and then I'll return to making uniforms. At first I'm planning to add artillery to Britain, and after that or I'll finish Russian army (including remaking old uniforms, which I already made (because they were my first modelling and texturing experience), adding new units, such as sailors, artillery, Greek Legion and Greek Balaklava Battalion etc.) or I'll make Turks and Sardinians and after I'll finish Russian uniforms.

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2017, 10:11:35 am »
Any updates?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:49 pm »
Nothing to show - I finished earthworks on glasis of Malakoff Tower, so I need to finish earthworks on the right side of Malakoff (but these earthworks are just of different shape, containing all the sane gabions, sandbags and fascines, so they are not interesting to show) and also I started work on British artillery, but this uniform isn't ready yet, so again, I can't show it before I'll finish it.

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 15, 2017, 02:49:29 pm »
Well, good luck.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 15, 2017, 06:44:12 pm »
British artillery.

Spoiler

[close]

I found a little information about forage caps at the time of the Crimean War, so I made forage cap as it was in 1840s (with red colour, but a couple of drawings of Crimean war show caps with yellow, but maybe yellow colour was for sergeants).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:38:30 pm by Ivkolya »

Offline thepenguin

• Sergeant Major
  • Voor God en Vaderland!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:56 pm »
Nice!

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:15 pm »
Glad to see this is still being worked on  :)