Author Topic: The Chronicles of Fish  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stRHA_Col_Fish
  • Side: Confederacy
The Chronicles of Fish
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
This has been a side project of mine for now, it's in essence the insertion of my character into historical events, i plan to expand this massively into a 1st person perspective, but this is only a side project that i pick up when i feel like it. It plots the course of the 1st RHA's original command staff, with Fish (me) at it's head, through to the formation of the Brunswick Corps and the antics after that

Chapter 1: The Early Years
Spoiler
Originally, the 1st Royal Horse Artillery started out as a two independent batteries, raised in Woolwitch  on February 1st 1793. Captain Michael Fish assumed command of the first Battery and 2nd Captain Jack the second. The new regiment was equipped with Chestnut horses, and 6 pounder cannons, becoming the first fully mounted Artillery regiment in the Empire and possibly the world. The regiment's first trial came in 1798, where A Battery was assigned to County Wicklow and B Battery in County Wexford, the fighting was thick in both areas, and the regiment partook in many serious battles (and unfortunately massacres) before being sent home.
The Regiment also saw some serious action in the Netherlands, again distinguishing the newly promoted Major Fish. After this the Regiment saw some peace, something every Artillery Officer hates (Due to the slow advancement and lack of buying commissions), until 1809, when the RHA was called up to fill the deficit of Artillery, fighting in many serious battles the regiment often played a pivotal role with it's ability to fire 1 shot every 2 minute, making it both deadly and efficient.
[close]

Chapter 2: Salamanca (This summarizes the merger between the 1stRHA, and the 3rdRA, Welsh Lad merged into us and formed our 3rd Battery. It also introduces Euan, one of my most trusted friends in NW, and ex-commander of the Line Company in both BC and RHA. It is also all fiction)
Spoiler
As the war raged on eventually the regiment, now 3 Batteries strong, with the 3rd Commanded by Captain Welsh, came to Salamanca. The Batteries had been firing on the enemy for an hour or so when a Company of highlanders came running past them... Away from the enemy, while the piper still played Scotland the Brave. Lieutenant Colonel Fish (Currently commander of both the RHA's 1st Battalion and it's A Battery) shouted "So much for Scotland the Brave!" With that, the gruff highlander Major, and about 30 others turned around, and charged straight back at the enemy, rallying a significant portion of the men around them. After the battle, both officers had a drink together, and became close friends, as did both regiments (This would lead to the RHA later being placed in the highland brigade in WW1) to the point where a company of highlanders were attached to the battalion, protect them from the cavalry that artillery so dreaded. At the Battle of Vitoria the highlanders actually formed a square around the cannons, protecting the entire battalion from cavalry, not a man was lost!
[close]

Chapter 3: A Brigade!! (This reflects the raise that came with re-organisation in the British Army, i did actually become a brigadier General, and the Regiments were all in that brigade)
Spoiler
After Salamanca, Lieutenant Colonel Fish petitioned General Kammin to create a dedicated brigade for the Artillery, instead Kammin  placed the RHA's 1st Battalion in a brigade with the 6th(General's own) Holyrood Guards, the 35th Royal Sussex the 88th Connaught Rangers, and a small detachment of the HMS Victory's marines, then gave Fish overall command of the Brigade.
Because of Fish's raise to Brigadier General, serious re-organisation was required within the RHA. Major Jack got his lift to Lieutenant Colonel, and became Commander of the RHA's Senior Battery, known as the Chestnut troop. C Battery was amalgamated in to both A and b battery, with Major Welsh Commanding, and Major Euan's Company was now made a permanent part of the regiment, becoming C Company (Euan's Highlanders).
[close]

Chapter 4: All Must End (This one shows my short Leave of absense, and also the merger between the 1st RHA and 6th Guards, to form the Brunswick Corps. The Duke's last words in this were pretty much the Duke of Brunswick's last words, only the names were changed)
Spoiler
After having served dutifully within the 2nd Brigade for the duration of the campaign in Spain, Fish returned home to his Lincolnshire Estate; he lived a good life for the next few years relaxing and enjoying the royalties that came with a Generality's pay.
Unfortunately all good things must end, and in 1815, Brigadier General Fish was called up, not to serve as Commander of the 2nd Brigade, but instead to serve as Chief of Staff to Duke Kammin of Brunswick. Kammin had seen Fish in action during Spain, where the Brunswick Corps had seen some action alongside them. Along with him Fish dragged Lieutenant Colonel Jack with him, who had recently retired from the 1st Royal Horse Artillery.
The pair made off, and Fish arranged Jack his own battery, and even a few Bombardiers from the Chestnut troop. After arriving in Brussels, Fish received a warm welcome, finding many old comrades from the 1st Royal Horse and other regiments. He even saw Major Euan, and with the few friends he had at horse guards, arranged his transfer into the Corps. He then found General Kammin in his tent, with Colonel Morris.
He joined them for battle plans; while the two both had significantly more experience than him, he watched and nodded, occasionally offering his insight. Fish was more of an organizer than a Commander, so when the order came that Fish would command the Guards Battalion at the battle of Quatre Bras, it was a shock. After standing against a fusillade of artillery fire, the guards pulled back a short distance and took position in the new battle line while being blasted by canister. Unfortunately, it was at this point that the Duke himself got hit by a musket ball, and was dragged to safety by two of Fish's men. Cooper and Matthews pulled him in a tent, and made sure he was tended to. His last words were “My dear Cooper, where is Fish?” The truth was Fish was only a few meters a way, holding the front with his guards.
Only a few minutes later, orders came from Wellington, the Hussars were to make a gallant charge at the Light Cav, but were put to flight by heavy fire...[TBC]
[close]

So that it so far, feel free to give me some feedback, i welcome it as long as it's not overly critical :P

Offline Chieef

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Corporate Lawyer in the City of London.
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Fish
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:12 pm »
Right...

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: König Tenford
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:48 pm »
Fish xD you have a lot of free time xD
1+1=7

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:30:34 pm »
Fish xD you have a lot of free time xD
[/quote
One may say i have too much :P

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
  • Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #FreeFieldshire
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:51:38 am »
I thought this was about fish. I am thoroughly disappointed.   

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »

Fish>world
1+1=7

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
It is about Fish, the best type of Fish! The only Type of Fish. Me!!!!!

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 02:09:16 pm »

You are the Fish. Rivers, seas.. only you and no more. Every fish has your face (?) and your voice (?)
1+1=7

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 02:33:43 pm »

You are the Fish. Rivers, seas.. only you and no more. Every fish has your face (?) and your voice (?)
Yes, Every Fish speaks of me, every Fish speaks for me, Fish and I are one, without the Fish i am nothing, without me they are nothing.

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:01:28 pm »

Yes, Every Fish speaks of me, every Fish speaks for me, Fish and I are one, without the Fish i am nothing, without me they are nothing.

The worship of Fish!
1+1=7

Offline Julianator1515

• Donator
  • kk_IR_Nr19_OLt_Julianator (Leader)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Julianator
  • Side: Union
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:02:45 pm »
Nice

Offline Josh Faraday

• Colonel
  • Desires Stroh 80.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Arminius
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
Nice
Arminius/Dennis Bergkamp/Tristan Bouvier/J.P. ...

All my life I’ve been fearful of defeat. But now that it has come it’s not near as terrible as I’d expected. The sun still shines, water still tastes good…glory is all well and good but life is enough, nay?

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:04:43 am »
What type of fish. Tuna? Striper? Smelly fish :C ?

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:10 am »

Every type of fish
1+1=7

Offline fieldshire

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 05:53:53 am »

Every type of fish
Oh, well then.